Home

POST YOUR CUSTOM CONFERENCE SETUP!

This is a discussion on POST YOUR CUSTOM CONFERENCE SETUP! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #25
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: POST YOUR CUSTOM CONFERENCE SETUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Great thread! I have a question for you guys who do massive overhauls of realignment (without using the editor)- are you experiencing any glitches or freezes?

I'm nearing wrapping up my dynasty, and I am interested in possibly doing a complete realignment when I begin a new one.

Not so far with mine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
Rookie

Kodos's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Great thread! I have a question for you guys who do massive overhauls of realignment (without using the editor)- are you experiencing any glitches or freezes?

I'm nearing wrapping up my dynasty, and I am interested in possibly doing a complete realignment when I begin a new one.
I've never experienced a problem with it (even when using teambuilder teams).
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #27
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh17
Here is my current setup.
My rules were each conference must have at least 12 teams and teams in the same state must be in the same conference.
I left Hawaii as the mandatory lone independent since they are so far away from all the other teams.
I tried to group by geography as much as possible.

Attachment 144814

Attachment 144826
Dude, this setup is really close to mine!

What I set out to do from the beginning, was create a realistic NCAA landscape with 10 conferences as even in strength to each other as possible, that also made at least some sense geographically.

I didn't really use any mathematical formulas aside from average rating and star rating. I took all of that into consideration along with geography to set up my conferences. I also took out UAB (Because they were "dead" at the time) and replaced them with Appalachian St.

I then made New Mexico and New Mexico St. into Independent* teams.

Spoiler

I also tried to keep as many rivalries together as possible. When applicable cross-town or in-state rivalries took precedence over out-of-state rivalries.

To keep things fun and interesting, I set all BCS bowls to at-large. All protected rivalries are listed in parenthesis where applicable. But keep in mind, I've only listed the protected rivalries that I cared about. If some in the conference have them and others to do not, it's because the team I consider their chief rival is already within the division. In that case, I just stick them with the school in the other division that makes the most sense.**

Spoiler

AAC:
Spoiler

ACC
Spoiler

Big XII -- I'll admit, this one may seem a little more odd than the others, but again, I was still trying to get some overall balance to the conferences.
Spoiler

Big 10
Spoiler

Conference USA
Spoiler

Mid-American Conference
Spoiler

Mountain West Conference
Spoiler

Pacific 12 Conference
Spoiler

Southeast Conference
Spoiler

Sun Belt Conference
Spoiler

Last edited by NCAAFootballFreak; 01-17-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Mine's fairly extensive. It begins with a regional breakdown of every team in the game. I group them into four categories: Northern, Southern, Central, and Western. From there, I divide each category into four tiers. For naming purposes, I go into the editor and rename all of the conferences (except for the Sun Belt and Conference USA) based on the region and the tier. To gain entry into the playoffs, you must win the top-tier of a regional conference. This may lead to a 7-5 team making the playoffs, but that's the way it works in the NFL.

I do something a little differently when it comes down to choosing teams for the various tiers. Rather than choosing them based on how well they perform in the preceding years, I choose them based on their overall rating (found in the editor). I do this because I was annoyed seeing a team (say, Boise St.) win their tier two years in a row and then fire their coach after a year in the higher tier. Then, they would sink back down, win the tier, and repeat. By using the overall rating, it guarantees that most teams in the tier are competitive.

In the top tier, I select the best twelve teams based on their overall rating (using the BCS ranking from the previous season as a tiebreaker) and divide them into two divisions (A and B because I'm uncreative). This is simply done by sorting by overall and alternating the divisions. This balances them out and usually makes for an entertaining championship game. Also, I don't do protected rivalries so that it creates a nine-game conference schedule.

In the second tier, I take the ten next best teams in the region and throw them in. They are the former MAC, ACC, AAC, and MWC for those not renaming.

For the third tier, I stole an idea from another poster and divided the Sun Belt and Conference USA into two regions. The Sun Belt has six teams from the Northern and Southern regions. Conference USA has two teams from the Central and Western regions. I did this simply because I ran out of conferences. For their championship game, I set it for Best Conference Record. It makes for two extra conference championships, but it's a fun idea.

The fourth tier is everyone else. I just throw them all into Independents and let them fight it out. Usually teams don't stay in it for too long.

So, after conference championships, it's back to the editor. Using PocketScout's awesome guide, I make sure that two BCS bowls (in the case of 2014, the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls) are playoff games. I also rerate the participants as 1-4 on the BCS rankings for aesthetic purposes. Winners go to the National Championship.

I'll attach my 2014 Excel document for specifics on which teams fit in which regions. If I make this post much longer, I'll take up half the page. If anyone has anymore questions, just ask!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Realignment.zip (15.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
Pro

Hey, someone tell me. How do you set the BCS bowls up to have no tie-ins and all at large? Or do you all not do that? I realigned my conferences. It is close to geographical, but has a sense of randomness to it also. Some power teams are in the Sun Belt making it tougher. Some weaker teams have joined the "major" conferences to get their shot. I think they are evenly distributed. I just want to know since each conference has its own heavyweights and lightweights, how can they "almost" all have their shots at the BCS bowl games?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Hey, someone tell me. How do you set the BCS bowls up to have no tie-ins and all at large? Or do you all not do that? I realigned my conferences. It is close to geographical, but has a sense of randomness to it also. Some power teams are in the Sun Belt making it tougher. Some weaker teams have joined the "major" conferences to get their shot. I think they are evenly distributed. I just want to know since each conference has its own heavyweights and lightweights, how can they "almost" all have their shots at the BCS bowl games?
The last step in the Off-Season is Custom Conferences. In that, you can set-up which conferences get BCS berths. You can clear them or give them to whoever you want.

Personally, I give the two BCS bowls that will be my playoff semifinal games to have my four Tier I champions for simplicity.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #31
Pro

When you say clear them out, does that mean delete that slot? I was going to do that, but I didn't know if it could be reversed. I don't want to mess anything up. I just listed each conference and put "Any" in the bowl slot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
When you say clear them out, does that mean delete that slot? I was going to do that, but I didn't know if it could be reversed. I don't want to mess anything up. I just listed each conference and put "Any" in the bowl slot.
Sounds like the same to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »