Home

Bad Rap?

This is a discussion on Bad Rap? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Bad Rap?

Don't understand it but it really seems like a lot of folks are very disappointed with NCAA compared to Madden this year. I just picked up Madden and feel the opposite of most people. What's weird is the fact that this is really the first year in a very long time that I still want to play NCAA after picking up Madden. I'm more of a college guy but Madden always has a more polished look and feel that makes NCAA seem outdated so it goes on the shelf for the rest of the year. This year is different for me for some reason. I played Madden and besides the two-man tackles I actually like NCAA's animations a lot more. NCAA did a wonderful job this past year of adding very subtle animation pieces that really make the gameplay seem smoother and more varied. Madden has some nice animations but there are still alot of times where the "two guys run into each other and bounce to the ground" kind of thing happens. NCAA has really limited that situation. I also am not a big fan of one player morphing right though another player. I had my defensive tackle shifted over the center and he went "through" the center to get a sack. There is also an issue with quaterbacks getting creamed before releasing the ball but the ball still magically gets zipped out of the pile of humanity on a line right to a receiver. You can tell in the instant replays that animation sequences were left out. Call me crazy but I just think that the work done by the animation team for NCAA has been vastly overlooked.
I have both games for the PS2 this year whereas in years past I had them for the XBox. I believe strongly that this is the reason a lot of people are disappointed with NCAA. EA games are a lot better on the PS2 whether or not people want to beleive it or not. I read about how much faster Madden plays than NCAA and want to laugh. I think that NCAA is actually just as fast if not a tad bit quicker in some cases than Madden. Good backs in NCAA are very quick and agile and you can really get a feel for their speed. I played with a back in Madden that had 93 speed and he didn't seem to hit the hole any faster than a bigger guy. I also absolutely love how the backs in NCAA have there heads on a swivel while running. It is a small detail but boy does it add a lot to the overall feel of the game.
I really like having the big hit button as the bottom left trigger over having to reach for the hit stick. Just seems more natural to me. This was a great addition in both games that I think will only get better. It really opens the door for EA to add a hitting (different from the tackle) rating for each guy and some cool animations that only happen when guys like Ray Lewis drill someone. I've been waiting years for a rating in this area and now it finally seems like a possibility.
Finally there is the presentation and atmosphere that NCAA does so well. Love the 3 man booth and despite what people say I have heard a wealth of new commentary. The crowd noise is fantastic and I really like HFA. Some are now turning it off because it has some flaws, but it's a start and I'll give them "Kudos" for trying something new.
Both games have made big strides. I only wish more people had a chance to play NCAA on the PS2 because it's a whole different ball game on this system. Sad but true.

ohiost
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Bad Rap?

I think the best thing about NCAA is that the instruction manual is organized into easily distinguishable paragraphs.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Although I like Madden better this year myself. I still think NCAA is really good.
They improved literally(IMO) 15-20 things from last year but made a half or dozen or so gaffes that soured a lot of folks on it. Here are the key problems

1. XBOX slowdown issues-NUFF SAID

2. Very tough defense(some say psychic or superhuman) on default AA and Heisman. For me that wasn't a problem because of the sliders- But since so many of the Internet Community now base their opinion of games based on the Online playability of the game- it is an issue

3. Home field Advantage was overdone. Outstanding in principal but they made some mistakes in implementing it. Players get way too rattled to easy this ties in with #4 and #5

4 WR drops-(could be just a XBOX issue? I have it for XBOX) HFA has a lot to do with it and sliders minimize the problem-but once again the online crowd is hung out to dry

5. Graphics and Commentary- There would have been some backlash anyway but ESPN FB 2k5 really stirred up the graphics junkies in a big way.

6. For me this was(still is) the biggest problem. the Complete and total ineptitude by the CPU on offense on AA. The RB's and the QB's make some of the dumbest decisions one could ever see on a football field. They play really smart on Heisman, but the Defensive Strength cheat is still there. It's almost impossible to get pancakes on Heisman-175lb DB's go toe to toe with 300lb lineman and rarely give up ground. Although it's a pain in the rear- I play offense on AA and defense on Heisman.

There might be a couple of other things but I think those are the main issues.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5
Talking Re: Bad Rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost
Don't understand it but it really seems like a lot of folks are very disappointed with NCAA compared to Madden this year. I just picked up Madden and feel the opposite of most people. What's weird is the fact that this is really the first year in a very long time that I still want to play NCAA after picking up Madden. I'm more of a college guy but Madden always has a more polished look and feel that makes NCAA seem outdated so it goes on the shelf for the rest of the year. This year is different for me for some reason. I played Madden and besides the two-man tackles I actually like NCAA's animations a lot more. NCAA did a wonderful job this past year of adding very subtle animation pieces that really make the gameplay seem smoother and more varied. Madden has some nice animations but there are still alot of times where the "two guys run into each other and bounce to the ground" kind of thing happens. NCAA has really limited that situation. I also am not a big fan of one player morphing right though another player. I had my defensive tackle shifted over the center and he went "through" the center to get a sack. There is also an issue with quaterbacks getting creamed before releasing the ball but the ball still magically gets zipped out of the pile of humanity on a line right to a receiver. You can tell in the instant replays that animation sequences were left out. Call me crazy but I just think that the work done by the animation team for NCAA has been vastly overlooked.
I have both games for the PS2 this year whereas in years past I had them for the XBox. I believe strongly that this is the reason a lot of people are disappointed with NCAA. EA games are a lot better on the PS2 whether or not people want to beleive it or not. I read about how much faster Madden plays than NCAA and want to laugh. I think that NCAA is actually just as fast if not a tad bit quicker in some cases than Madden. Good backs in NCAA are very quick and agile and you can really get a feel for their speed. I played with a back in Madden that had 93 speed and he didn't seem to hit the hole any faster than a bigger guy. I also absolutely love how the backs in NCAA have there heads on a swivel while running. It is a small detail but boy does it add a lot to the overall feel of the game.
I really like having the big hit button as the bottom left trigger over having to reach for the hit stick. Just seems more natural to me. This was a great addition in both games that I think will only get better. It really opens the door for EA to add a hitting (different from the tackle) rating for each guy and some cool animations that only happen when guys like Ray Lewis drill someone. I've been waiting years for a rating in this area and now it finally seems like a possibility.
Finally there is the presentation and atmosphere that NCAA does so well. Love the 3 man booth and despite what people say I have heard a wealth of new commentary. The crowd noise is fantastic and I really like HFA. Some are now turning it off because it has some flaws, but it's a start and I'll give them "Kudos" for trying something new.
Both games have made big strides. I only wish more people had a chance to play NCAA on the PS2 because it's a whole different ball game on this system. Sad but true.

ohiost
I'm gonna send you my eye doctor bill!!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
Thumbs down Re: Bad Rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSparty
I think the best thing about NCAA is that the instruction manual is organized into easily distinguishable paragraphs.

I know it wasn't your original intent, but your comment probably does sum up the quality of NCAA 2005 gameplay this year.

H***, this is the only game I look forward to each year with anticipation bordering on adolescence. However, I'm 51 years old.

I won't go into all the problem details with this game. That's already been done. Suffice to say that, after countless hours on these boards, slidr tweaking, and "wishing for semi-realistic games", I returned it for NCAA 2004, downloaded TexasWolverines rosters from last year, and am having a blast.

My heart goes out to all you gentleman like Jistic, and others who spent an enormous amount of time trying to balance this game. EA should be paying you guys.

Bottom line, I've been in the software business for 28 years as a developer and systems manager, and when I by a game title or other software package, I have certain realistic expectations of the product.

Unfortunately, this year EA blew it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

EA did not blow it at all IMO. I think NCAA is simply alot tougher and requires more patience than previous years to learn it. I admit I've been quite frustrated with it but after playing i'm getting better at it. Not everyone wants to just pick up a game and kick tail in it. It's funny though that people whine that the games too shallow and too easy but then they make it more difficult and in-depth and alot of the same people cry foul. Go figure. Can't please everyone and as long as all of us read message boards where everybody who has an opinion, no matter how left field it is, can vent, games will always appear to be tragically flawed.

The sheep syndrome truly does exist in that one person finds what they perceive to be a flaw and then a bunch of others gets that planted in their head to look for that perceived flaw and they then believe it to be a flaw themselves, which chances are they could have played for the full year and never noticed or believed it to be a flaw. The power of suggestion on forums is immense and part of the huge reason so many of these "There's a problem with this game" threads have absurd amount of views and replies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »