Home

Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

This is a discussion on Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #33
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
One think I am heavily considering starting is "honorary doubles." It's kind of a variation of Temple's thing. At Temple, a single digit number (1-9) is considered a big honor and has to be earned.

I plan to do something similar, but with doubles. So: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99 are all big honors to be bestowed upon a player. That way lineman can get into the action too. These aren't always necessarily bestowed upon the BEST player, but maybe the most meaningful. We all know how you can build an affinity for a player, and maybe he performs way above his ratings. That's kinda what these would be for, someone with a lot of heart.
I decided to go through with this idea for my upcoming 2024 season, and it actually worked out well. Most were actually pretty easy to decide, albeit in part due to my own story lines. Like I pointed out in the original post, it's not necessarily the BEST player, but maybe they got it for another reason.

I'll give a rundown of a few I chose as an example:

#11 goes to QB Brice Houston (previously #16). He faced a year long battle in 2023 for the QB spot, and it went back and forth all year. He was positive throughout it all and a true leader, so he gets the honorary double. He may not even be the starter in 2024, its still a toss up between him and Bishop.

#88 goes to FB (formerly TE) David Phillips. Going into the senior season, Phillips was expected to compete for the starting TE job. He is evenly rated with Martee Smith, who won it in 2023. Instead of going for the glory of pass catches, Phillips moved to FB. We had no fullbacks on the roster for spring, just one incoming freshman. It's a selfless act that (although may get him on the field more) is a true team move. For that, he gets the honor.

#99 goes to TE Cliff Smith. Not the starter for 2024, and was actually the #3 TE in 2023. Cliff, however, is "ol' reliable" with his blocks. His ability to seal the edge is the sole reason for about 5-6 of the rushing touchdowns in 2023. For his hard work and dedication, he gets the honorary double.

Those are just three examples of guys that may not be the best of the best, but have done something to earn the honor.

Major Boise State fan
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #34
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

South Alabama has this tradition of giving out the number 5 to a senior leader after one of the running backs on their first team died in an accident. I think the way I'm going to decide it is they must have an A work ethic (I might also consider B's). Because this tradition excludes OL, for the most part, I might do the same thing with 55 for them and linebackers/DL if needed in a year where I feel someone is deserving.

Also because my created coaches' storyline is that he's from New Orleans and was impacted by Hurricane Katrina I'd like to find a way to fit that in also. Maybe give my starting QB #9 in a nod to Drew Brees with how much he has impacted the city since becoming the Saints QB. I don't know a lot about the city so I'll have to do some research.
NBA-Sonics :'(
Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #35
Rookie

Daryl1981's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
You can if you use the editor
How can this be done using the editor?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2023, 09:02 AM   #36
Rookie

You fixing the roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LOVER
Wish you could use multiple numbers in dynasty.

Quote:
You can if you use the editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl1981
How can this be done using the editor?

The dynasty editor (Windows program, it is not in the game) will allow you to change any field you want to change. Because the dynasty editor does not enforce any validation rules, you could give every player on your roster the same number if you wanted to.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:59 AM   #38
Rookie

You up?

Old 12-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #39
Rookie

i wore #55 and always wanted to be a MLB so my starter always gets that number.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

This is something where I hope there is Teambuilder or at least Create a Team. I want to be able to create my own traditions with a created team. It'll be a mix of LSU and Temple, along with other traditions. Where best Playmaker on either side would get #5 or #1, you'll have to be special to get #0. Highly touted QBs would get #3. Only the best guys get #0-9. That would be cool for me. A guy wearing #0 would have to be a guy that could play all over the field. On offense, a Skill player that could play WR/RB that can get snaps at either positions, get those designated trick plays, be a returner. On Defense, it'd likely be a DB that you could lineup at SCB, get snaps at Safety in 3 safety looks, play Dime LB, and maybe even be a returner. That would be cool because it'll make more invested in finding recruits who could be the next special player.

Can't remember, but I do hope that duplicate numbers are available for offense and Defense, especially if they are able to expand roster to 85 guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »