Home

What Might This Mean For A New NCAA Football Game?

This is a discussion on What Might This Mean For A New NCAA Football Game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What Might This Mean For A New NCAA Football Game?

I've seen a lot of people suggest that EA giving the players free copy of the game as a way of compensation would satisfy most players.

EA and NCAA needs to find a way to responsibly compensate players equally. EA will have to be more clear how they plan of using the player likeness. If EA would have went full generic like they should have we would still have a series. But now a days, the masses don't want a full generic roster. They want the current player and coaches.

Thats why even if NCAA finds a way to "fairly" compensate the players, there is almost no way we would see a game next year like I see on a lot of youtube videos. EA would have to get the NCAA license back because I see a lot of schools still not giving up their likeness. Then EA would have to find a way to compensate the players. Then have to develop. Earliest would be 2021
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

I am hopeful they can find a way that appeases everyone and get back to making college football and basketball games again. I still play my college games on my PS3 and I honestly enjoy them more than I do Madden.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #27
Pro

brobamigo's Arena

OVR: 0

I wonder if ea has had anyone down in the dungeon working on ncaa over the last few years. Doing things like keeping the stadiums updated, working on recruiting.

I’d be ok with just updated stadiums, import the recruiting process from ncaa 14 and port over maddends gameplay for the first year. Of course I’m sure there is a lot more to it I just wonder if they have anything going on behind the scenes
Old 05-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobamigo
I wonder if ea has had anyone down in the dungeon working on ncaa over the last few years. Doing things like keeping the stadiums updated, working on recruiting.

I’d be ok with just updated stadiums, import the recruiting process from ncaa 14 and port over maddends gameplay for the first year. Of course I’m sure there is a lot more to it I just wonder if they have anything going on behind the scenes
I'm sure devs like Ben Haumiller would go back to NCAA. They had more creative freedom with NCAA. Since he was a creative director for NCAA, he would know where to go from NCAA 14.

I could see them making NCAA 14 backwards compatible right away if they are given the green light to go. I don't think they would remaster NCAA 14. It seems like it shouldn't be complicated to use the Madden Frostbite and gameplay engine. But I don't think it'll be that easy. You dont ever see a sports game being remastered. Mostly because of licensing issues. But with most remastered games, they usually just update graphics and smooth out gameplay. When it comes to a sports game, you can't just "smooth out" gameplay. It would still look out of place with modern graphics. You would would need to build a new engine to match. But that is what Madden would help it. Since it uses same engine, it seems like they would just need to update uniforms/colors, stadiums, and use Madden gameplay. But I think what hurts it is a good portion of plays in NCAA 14 aren't in Madden playbooks, so they would have to do coding and a lot of testing to make sure it isn't buggy.

Even though, I don't think it would take them long to develop new game, I still see the earliest being 2021. I think they would only need a year of development. They wouldn't need to build the game from scratch since NCAA 14 was made on last gen and could together with Madden to speed up process. The thing is NCAA giving them the license, working with NCAA to find a compensation model, building a new dev team.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
MVP

pinbw's Arena

Any kind of EA NCAA football game would be a breath of fresh air in 2021 or later.
Because I don't know how much longer our ps3s and xb360s will be functionable. Even the ncaa14 disc may become damaged & unplayable by then. My current Xbox360 disc developed a slight crack in the inner core, which I've glued and taped tightly to keep it working. But sometimes it stops working in middle of a game or states disc is dirty please clean it and try again.

Now there's emulation to rely on with future PCs and laptops of the 2020s.
Update: RPCS3 is a PS3 emulator that has just made breakthroughs since May2019 with NCAA 14 being 85% playable. But it requires 4+ghz latest CPUS recommended eg.4th gen or higher CPUS are capable. I just recently updated my PC with an i5 8600k & its playable. It's impressive at 30-60FPS with some audio and laggy glitches to put up with...hopefully in a year or 2, our systems will be able to play it perfectly.

------------------

And I wonder how many people will prefer ncaa14 over the newer game. Ncaa 14 will probably remain the gold standard to compare to moving forward .

Whatever the new game is, hopefully it will be as good or better, or atleast come close to the amount of fun we've been having with new rosters every year on our old game.

Last edited by pinbw; 07-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #30
Rookie

binga30's Arena

Don't you guys remember the gameplay differed from Madden, so I hope they don't simply copy over the engine if the game is going ahead. It's the differences that made the game so unique (and better IMHO).
Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #31
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

My thoughts (really hope) at this point is that in October the NCAA and the players will come up with some structure to compensate them for the likeness.

I think it'll be the educational benedits and some players will opt out of it. Those players will never have their jerseys, even with no name, in the book store or in a video game.

I still believe a game is years away at the very least, if at all. At least now though there will is a glimmer of hope for one as opposed to how it has been this entire gen.

If a game does return, I see the first edition of NCAA Football doing gangbusters. Just off the wait and interest. Afterwards though I can see it moving to a biannual or even 3 year window like UFC. By that point the rosters and teams will have changed enough to warrant it.

I can see at least one version of College Hoops returning. I could even see a bundle with NBA 2K.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
My thoughts (really hope) at this point is that in October the NCAA and the players will come up with some structure to compensate them for the likeness.

I think it'll be the educational benedits and some players will opt out of it. Those players will never have their jerseys, even with no name, in the book store or in a video game.

I still believe a game is years away at the very least, if at all. At least now though there will is a glimmer of hope for one as opposed to how it has been this entire gen.

If a game does return, I see the first edition of NCAA Football doing gangbusters. Just off the wait and interest. Afterwards though I can see it moving to a biannual or even 3 year window like UFC. By that point the rosters and teams will have changed enough to warrant it.

I can see at least one version of College Hoops returning. I could even see a bundle with NBA 2K.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
If it does happen, I don't see happening for at least 2 years. There will definitely by a portion of athletes that won't be happy and will refuse, even some big name athletes.
I'm not opposed to bi/tri-annual releases. As long as they update game and fix it, I'm okay with not having to buy a new game every year. If they do use real NILs, it will take so many resources to get each player to agree if there isn't an universal way. As long as the game is in depth and customizable that should suffice for several years at a time.

I don't see College Basketball coming back in general. I don't see EA doing it because they haven't gotten Live to a stable yet. I honestly don't know how long Live is going to make it. They pretty much sold at a discount last 2 years at launch. I'm not sure they make jump to next gen. 2k dropped out the college market before. They had college teams for 2k16 & 2k17 for MyCareer. 2k sports has put a major focus on NBA. 2k has shown in past, they will drop a series if it doesn't sell well. I don't see many people clamouring for a new College Basketball game like they do for CFB. IMO, CBB is only as popular as the star players. The casual fan will only watch Playoffs. Where in CFB, people will tune into key Rivalry games. I don't think CBB games will sell as well as CFBs game. But I don't seeing 2k or any other company jumping into the licensed CFB market. The CFB license, cost of development, possible compensating players, and having to develop a football engine for a game that might only sell 2-3 million copies at most, might not be worth it for most companies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »