Home

Had to go back to NCAA ‘12

This is a discussion on Had to go back to NCAA ‘12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Had to go back to NCAA ‘12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
I'm all for anyone trying '12, but are you sure that the problem is your '14? Did it get scratched or something? Seems odd that it would just stop working out of the blue. Are you sure that it isn't your system? Tried other games? When my system bit the (literal) dust, I first started seeing issues with GTA V & NCAA.
Yea it's scratched. It's been getting worse for a while, while all my other games are fine. It doesn't just not boot up. It like loads up and I can edit playbooks and stuff but the actual games stop before coin toss.

I am just curious about 12 as well though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #66
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I just picked up 10 and 11 yesterday. Compared to 11-14, 10 is bare bones lol. 10 has Season Showdown that doesn't exist anymore as well as tye introductuction of Road to Glory woth Erin Andrews and thats pretty much it. Neither 10 or 11 had broadcast camera view and 10 didn't have Speed Threshold in-game. But Im wondering what may be hidden inside the profile. Im gonna go in and investigate. 11 had the best game intro by far.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #67
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
Yea it's scratched. It's been getting worse for a while, while all my other games are fine. It doesn't just not boot up. It like loads up and I can edit playbooks and stuff but the actual games stop before coin toss.

I am just curious about 12 as well though.
I've been able to save a bunch of discs by using Novus products.

I used to get scratched up games for $1-$2 at GameStop, and I was able to save about 80% of them by using those products.

They have the "#3" Heavy Scratch Remover, and then use the "#2" Fine Scratch Remover, and then use the "#1" Spray Polish. Follow the instructions and use them in order (3-2-1), and you should see better results. Sometimes, I had to apply it 2-3 times to get it to work.

I bought the bottles almost a decade ago, and they still work really well for me.

*I am not affiliated with Novus and not compensated to endorse Novus products.

**Crud. I should be compensated by them.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #68
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
10 is bare bones lol. 10 has Season Showdown that doesn't exist anymore as well as tye introductuction of Road to Glory woth Erin Andrews and thats pretty much it.
It also had Celebrate with the Mascot!!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #69
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I just picked up 10 and 11 yesterday. Compared to 11-14, 10 is bare bones lol. 10 has Season Showdown that doesn't exist anymore as well as tye introductuction of Road to Glory woth Erin Andrews and thats pretty much it. Neither 10 or 11 had broadcast camera view and 10 didn't have Speed Threshold in-game. But Im wondering what may be hidden inside the profile. Im gonna go in and investigate. 11 had the best game intro by far.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Operation Sports mobile app
I fired up an old Dynasty in NCAA'10 earlier this year. I hadn't touched it in 9 years. I was midway through season 5 and decided to play it to the end as it was going to be a nice send off to that Dynasty, despite the bare bones nature of the sliders and things like that.

The playbooks are dated, and the game was clunky at times, but man did I have a total blast playing it. The recruiting was so much better. But the one thing that really stood out to me was the in-game atmosphere. NCAA'14 is pretty, the stadiums look nice, but there is something lacking about the "feel" of the games. Playing NCAA'10 I felt like the college atmosphere really showed through in that game. I don't always feel that with '14. '14 is much more refined gameplay wise and with sliders, etc, but one of the reasons I enjoy college football so much is the pageantry, and I felt '10, despite its flaws, captured this so much better than '14. The stadiums are beautiful, but it often feels lifeless to me compared to some of the older games. It's hard to explain beyond that.

I haven't played a ton of '11, but of what I have seen it seems to capture the pageantry a bit better. If '11 had custom conferences the way '12 through '14 did I'd probably be playing that.

Question to those who are giving '12 another go - how does the game play and feel compared to '11 and '14? I've seen a lot of the talks about playbooks being dated and the like, the read option not being useful. I get all that. But does '12, presentation wise at least, tap into that pageantry more like the older games? It's the only one I don't have since '10. Since it's cheap I may just pick it up and give it a go.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #70
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
I fired up an old Dynasty in NCAA'10 earlier this year. I hadn't touched it in 9 years. I was midway through season 5 and decided to play it to the end as it was going to be a nice send off to that Dynasty, despite the bare bones nature of the sliders and things like that.

The playbooks are dated, and the game was clunky at times, but man did I have a total blast playing it. The recruiting was so much better. But the one thing that really stood out to me was the in-game atmosphere. NCAA'14 is pretty, the stadiums look nice, but there is something lacking about the "feel" of the games. Playing NCAA'10 I felt like the college atmosphere really showed through in that game. I don't always feel that with '14. '14 is much more refined gameplay wise and with sliders, etc, but one of the reasons I enjoy college football so much is the pageantry, and I felt '10, despite its flaws, captured this so much better than '14. The stadiums are beautiful, but it often feels lifeless to me compared to some of the older games. It's hard to explain beyond that.

I haven't played a ton of '11, but of what I have seen it seems to capture the pageantry a bit better. If '11 had custom conferences the way '12 through '14 did I'd probably be playing that.

Question to those who are giving '12 another go - how does the game play and feel compared to '11 and '14? I've seen a lot of the talks about playbooks being dated and the like, the read option not being useful. I get all that. But does '12, presentation wise at least, tap into that pageantry more like the older games? It's the only one I don't have since '10. Since it's cheap I may just pick it up and give it a go.
I've had 12 for a little over a week now and have watched cpu vs cpu games primarily on default Varsity and All-American. I watched with and without the patch. The things that stand out to me about this game are:

1) The passing game. I love the passing game in this game. The touch on passes that need touch, just the variety of passing speeds are better than any of the other games 10-14 IMO. Also, the CPU goes deep...and OFTEN! You see overthrows, errant throws etc. Love the passing game.

2) The Running Game. Without the patch and without any slider adjustments, toss plays, pitches and options are a no go pretty much. I'm thinking that the way EA tuned the game was more towards the defense. In watching several plays play out, the reaction time of the defense on those type of plays are really fast and offensive players, especially the WR's fail to hold blocks any more than a split second. So, you'll find most running game success between the tackles. With the patch, the outside running game is better with the exception of the option. The defense just reacts too fast in order for it to work at all with out edits and slider adjustment. They pretty much play it perfectly where someone is always covering the QB and the pitch man.

3) Pass Defense. Personally I love that it's tough, albeit sometimes unrealistic; but with the User always at an advantage with the "eye in the sky" view of the game, something has to be done to combat that. If not, the User will pick the CPU apart. So, I don't mind it. I honestly haven't seen too much of the Super LB yet. But, I'm thinking that can be easily combated with lowering all LB's Jump rating.

4) QB Scrambling: When the QB takes off to scramble, it looks terrible lol. It's like the QB is running w/o any purpose and the take off animation just looks wacky for lack of a better way to describe it. It's almost like there is a delay in his takeoff.

5) No Stuck In The Mud Animations: I've probably watched 20 or 30 games and I have yet to see the stuck in the mud animation that's in 14 that drives me nuts. In 14 if you throw deep, when the WR catches the ball instead of running through the catch with speed, they get stuck and it allows the D to catch up. The same goes with Pitch plays. That's one of the things that make the deep ball so deadly in this game is if your DB get's burned you can hang it up. One thing I did notice when looking in the NCAA 12 profile vs. NCAA 14 that Acceleration is set at 50 whereas in 14's profile it's set at 0. That could be it.

6) Presentation: As much as I love 14, one of the things I hated was they took out team entrances and the bands as well as custom stadium sounds. With it being in 12 it just makes the game feel more like college football.

7) CPU Recruiting Logic: One word..."horrible" I simmed 5 seasons so that I could convert a dynasty roster over to a base roster and the rosters are so unbalanced. You have some teams with 15 WR's and 1 LG...9 QB's and 3 HB's...12 CB's and 1 LE. It's like the engine gives no thought to Need. It's like if you are Alabama and there are 5*'s that want to go there, they just sign them regardless of what's already on the roster. So, the CPU teams would def need your help lol.

All in all, I am really enjoying 12. There are very important parts of this game that are so well tuned that I won't have to do much of anything to it at all, whereas those same parts needed a lot of work in 14. On the flipside, the parts that do need work are def fixable with editing if I choose to. I really don't want to but I got's to get the outside running game and option game working lol.

Hope this helps.

ETA

11 is good too...but it sucks that the game doesn't have the broadcast camera angle. You're pretty much stuck with one gameplay angle for all modes.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #71
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
But the one thing that really stood out to me was the in-game atmosphere. NCAA'14 is pretty, the stadiums look nice, but there is something lacking about the "feel" of the games. Playing NCAA'10 I felt like the college atmosphere really showed through in that game. I don't always feel that with '14.
I agree....and I believe it is the Audio that is the difference. It is such a big part of the atmosphere. Even years back, I had felt despite the video advances, the audio regressed from PS2/Xbox generation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 6

I really like 11. I think it has the best of all worlds. Also, I love running the ball in 11.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »