Home

NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses

This is a discussion on NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #57
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses

We'll see what happens in a couple years. Happy to see some progress on this front at least.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #58
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

long overdue, unfortunately the video gaming industrie's response is to stop making college sports video games!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

College Player Association partnering with NFLPA can really expedite things along. The NFLPA can negotiate on behalf of the players. That way NFLPA, NCAA, EA can get to together to negotiate compensation.

I think we are still years away. I don't really sell NCAA selling license until the law goes into effect. If that's the case, than I see 2022 as the realistic date. But correct me if I'm wrong, I think they could still make it before. Maybe now, schools/conferences will be more willing to sell their license if EA can prove they can avoid lawsuits before law goes into effect. At the very least I can see more college schools being more involved in Madden next year or 2
Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #60
All Star

OVR: 13

Agree w/ most of the posts in here. I suppose it's a reasonable first step, but we're still a long way away from anyone dipping a toe back into the college game pool. Companies are risk averse (in the extreme) and won't wade back into the pool until it's been verified to be safe and litigation-free 6 ways from Sunday. And given the costs likely to be involved, I would be surprised if anyone other than EA in football and 2K in basketball would be willing to even chance it. Which, while not ideal, would still be better than what we have right now...
Old 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
Why so negative? NCAA 14 was not a copy of Madden in college uniforms.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2014 sports video games are a lot different than sports video games today. Add on to that key NCAA makers are no longer with EA and the lack of talent in that department now...then you get Animation NCAA Football 2023
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #62
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

I always said once legislators got involved, it was a done deal. NCAA has zero leverage against Congress and state legislators....and these legislators love to throw their weight around.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #63
Pro

Here is my thought...

With EA being so focused on GaaS, I could see a scenario where they dive deep into the idea of an "Ultimate Team" game mode filled with microtransactions to fill your team with legends like Tim Tebow, Eddie George, Matt Leinart, etc.

I think that is a lucrative enough business proposition for them to pursue bringing NCAA back, completely separate from us Dynasty fanatics. I also have to wonder if the NFLPA involvement has anything to do with trying to negotiate these types of deals for former players who could be part of some type of "Ultimate Team".

Either way, I am stoked. I bet we don't see anything until 2021 or 2022, but this is all very promising.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #64
Rookie

Cam Fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
This is awesome news. My prediction is that EA decides to get back into making NCAA football games they will make the games the same as they did before, with generic players. What this news today means is that theres no longer a controversy - which is what scared away the conferences from licensing their trademarks to EA in the first place (which caused NCAA football to get cancelled). The conferences will probably get on board now, and the fact they got some teams to agree to be in Madden was a great sign. But EA knows the games sell really well with generic players, and it would cost a lot of time and money to pay every college football player to be in the game. We will still buy the game with generic players and they know it. And with roster editing/sharing, it wouldn't even be a big deal.
True...no controversy. I would bet my last dollar EA already has the dominoes set in place. It's going to happen sooner than people think. EA reps probably have known about this for months.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »