Home

Favorite NCAA Football game on the PS2?

This is a discussion on Favorite NCAA Football game on the PS2? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 AM   #17
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Favorite NCAA Football game on the PS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
I was talking more about how the PS2 games capture the pageantry and tradition of the stadiums and the atmosphere of the college game. I feel like 10 through 12 on the PS360 games do a really good job of capturing it. I wasn't sure how the PS2 era games were at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
They were great and I think they had some team specific intros like the games you mentioned. There are cannons, cheerleaders, mascots, and fans in team specific paraphernalia like cowboy hats, etc.

The games also had all the 1-A/FBS stadiums up to a certain point, maybe 09 or 10. After that it seems they just stopped caring. So no Minnesota outdoor stadium, no new Cowboys stadium (despite it being on the P2 Madden), no WKU stadium when they moved up.

They did include Miami’s move to Joe Robbie/Hard Rock, and Stanford and UCF’s new stadium at some point.

The crowd can be crazy at places like Tennessee and Penn State if you really get the house packed. The games up to 06 have the best atmosphere, and lack of atmosphere if the team sucks. So don’t expect Eastern Michigan to be a crazy experience unless you build them up.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #18
Rookie

LuckySeven's Arena

OVR: 6
Thumbs up Re: Favorite NCAA Football game on the PS2?

NCAA Football 09 is my game of choice, mostly because I spent a crap ton of time editing the roster for it. It plays pretty well as long as you work around the "jump the snap" feature
Spoiler
. Recruiting is pretty decent, no overabundance bald dudes with big ears. Playbooks are good too. Just remember if you're customizing one, there's a 13th formation that you can't edit. Just have to check your playbooks outside of the editor to see what it is. Other than that, great game, I'd definitely play it over anything else.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

07 is my favorite. I understand why people find 06 superior, but 07 is imprinted on my soul. 11 is my second or third favorite.

You can also get 17/18/19 rosters for 06 and 11 on here. That's pretty cool.

I always loved the environment/atmosphere/pageantry of the PS2 games.

You can even taunt the crowd with the gator chomp if you score in Florida's stadium.

I came up with the analog stick kicking of 07 (Madden and NCAA 07 were my first football games) but the button press kicking of 06 adds challenge. There are also hella sliders on here for 06. 07 it's harder to find perfect sliders because the momentum meter is blown out of proportion.

I dig the return camera too.

My copies of both are currently damaged but I'm gonna repair/replace them soon.

They can be found on eBay for the low.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #20
Rookie

Man, that was a long time ago... don't remember much about the gameplay but I have to go with 2002 because that was the first year I owned the game and it had my boy Chris Weinke on the cover lol
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #21
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySeven
NCAA Football 09 is my game of choice, mostly because I spent a crap ton of time editing the roster for it. It plays pretty well as long as you work around the "jump the snap" feature
Spoiler
. Recruiting is pretty decent, no overabundance bald dudes with big ears. Playbooks are good too. Just remember if you're customizing one, there's a 13th formation that you can't edit. Just have to check your playbooks outside of the editor to see what it is. Other than that, great game, I'd definitely play it over anything else.
Sadly, moving Break Block to 0 is not enough to stop Jump the Snap, at least on Heisman anyways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #22
Rookie

LuckySeven's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Sadly, moving Break Block to 0 is not enough to stop Jump the Snap, at least on Heisman anyways.
Ah, well I've never played it on Heisman before. All-American is as high as I've gone with that game. I don't think I have the skills for Heisman. Otherwise, I still stand by my choice of NCAA 09.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #23
Just started!

For me it’s NCAA 09. I honestly have to thank you all for reigniting my itch to go back to NCAA on Ps2.

Having made the jump from ps2 to ps3 entirely too soon back in 07 (mistakingly falling in love with the new shiny toy), I long forgotten how authentic and awesome the ps2 NCAA games are. I picked up 09 a few weeks ago at a local book store for $1.99 and have not been able to put it down since.

Can’t help but feel like a blind sheep falling for NCAA on the ps3 (though NCAA 14 is a great game) as they never added spring games, medical redshirts, soft verbals/ realistic recruiting etc, away from the play injuries, ESPN magazine covers that are cpu generated, Heisman presentations, unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, off field suspensions to manage, school budget, and so much more, which is mind boggling.

My apologies if I get a bit long winded, but in short I’d have to say 09 for me. Will check out 06 again soon because I hear it’s the NCAA “GOAT” but difficult for me to think it could be much better than 09 🤷*♂️
Old 03-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
Pro

esayem's Arena

My major issue with 09 is if a player goes out of bounds, the clock runs once the ball is reset. This is horrible for trying to make a comeback at the end of a game.

There are a few other smaller bugs I can get over like FCS players ALL have defensive lineman helmets for some reason. This might exist on multiple later PS2 games. A time consuming fix is possible, of course. Also, some of the FCS teams have strange graphical glitches on their uniform patches. I’ve noticed this on the CAA teams when I popped it in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »