Home

Screens and Draws

This is a discussion on Screens and Draws within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Screens and Draws

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU9399
Since I run a Spread Offense, I use the HB Draw out of the shotgun and get really good yardage. I'm averaging about 170 yards a game on the ground.

Now screens, I have a hard time with. The blockers don't block anybody and the lineman usually blow the play up before it gets started. But when it does work, I get good results.
yeah, it seems like your blockers just stand around so when you pass the ball to your rb, the defenders are right there to take him down.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #10
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

Draws are ok when set up well with pass, but are not my favorite running play out of shotgun. On ps2, though, I have no problem with passing symbols in the way.

Screens are worthless for the most part. Heisman difficulty might have something to do with it. I think they work best if you catch them in zone while sending blitzers, which is hard to know when they're gonna do that.

I use plays where the HB runs a blue delayed route. It works a lot like throwing a screen to your HB. But I neve rbusted a big gain... just medium like 6-12 yards.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

My impression is that screens and draws don't work well because NCAA 2005 doesn't have an accurate pass rush.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic6
Yes! The passing symbols on draw plays make it extremely tough to run these with any success. You just can't see where you need to go. I don't remember this ever being a problem in any other game.
I have had considerable success with screens, but for me draw plays are an exercise in frustation. As has been stated , you can't see the holes on draws, so your only real option is to let the cpu get the back through the line and then take over. This wasn't a problem in previous versions because they used to have plain yellow letters or symbols that were easy to see through. This year someone decided that it would be better to make the passing symbols look like the actual buttons, but they didn't consider the consequences. This is just one of several questionable graphics related decisions EA made this year(why in the world did they decide to shrink the numbers on the players jerseys?), but this might be the worst because it actually impedes play.

If anyone with the NCAA team reads this, please, please go back to the plain yellow symbols.

Last edited by coogrfan; 09-21-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

The draws don't work too well for me, but the screens have worked for some nice gains on occassion. I ran a wingback screen with Missouri on Heisman and smith passed to Nash for a 78 yard TD. The tight end mad a great block at the line and he was just gone, they must have been blitzing on the week side because he was in the clear.

I also ike the flanker bubble screen. I play with classic cam and check the coaches view before the play, it helps because alot of times, you are throwing to a blind spot. You can't rifle the ball either or you'll have a costly fumble on your hands.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've had mixed results with both screens and draws. I think they worked much better and more fluidly in NCAA 2004.

I only do half back screens, I've never liked wide receiver screens. I agree they can be frustrating. The timing just isn't there for me on screens. On draws, I like to run the qb give options. If the play is open for the running back, I'll let him carry it. If not, I can usually get some yardage with the qb.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #15
Fear Ameer

skitch's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU9399
Since I run a Spread Offense, I use the HB Draw out of the shotgun and get really good yardage. I'm averaging about 170 yards a game on the ground.
Exactly. I only run draws out of the shotgun, though, because it doesn't work well otherwise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

I was having trouble with screens because last year you could wait until the guy stopped, throw it to him and then run. This year I have learned to throw it about 2 or 3 seconds after I hike the ball while the RB or Wr is still slightly in motion. Then hes running when he catches it and its easier to make moves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »