Home

NCAA 14 > Madden 20?

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 > Madden 20? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NCAA 14 > Madden 20?

OK, I recently dusted off the 'ol 360 and popped in NCAA 14. Started a dynasty with the 2019 rosters and Notre Dame. Man, I forgot how great this game played. 1.5 seasons in and I am already having more fun than I had with the last few Madden games (I buy them all). Not just college schemes, but recruiting, redshirting, etc. What a blast. Makes me wonder if people out there enjoy this game more than the new current-gen Madden games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA 14 > Madden 20?

100%. I’m almost to year 4 in my Terps dynasty. Started with the original 2013 rosters that came with the game.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

IMO, since the 07 release, the NCAA title has always been better than Madden
Old 05-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

I haven't enjoyed Madden since... probably 08 on PC. I've been playing 2K5 for 15 years.
And as far as NCAA goes, yes, it's a better game than most Maddens anyway.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

On the field, the engine Madden uses and the animations just look garbage and robotic, clunky and unnatural. NCAA 14 has a realistic smoothness that can't be topped. That alone makes it worth playing over any new Maddens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
MVP

young22's Arena

Easily. I don't think Madden has been good since Madden 12. I had fun with 13 and 25, a bit with 17 before they dropped an awful patch, but Madden has been straight up bad since about 18.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I think the 'flow' of the college season makes it more fun and interesting than pro sports. You're always working on team-building (via recruiting) for college, even during the season and that adds a different element to keep you engaged throughout the season. For NFL, it's grind games, offseason (YAY!), grind games, offseason (YAY!)...rinse and repeat. For this reason alone, I don't love comparing the two games - sure they're both football, but it's a completely different process flow for the modes; one that is always going to give college sports franchise modes a bit of an edge IMO.

In terms of gameplay, if you take the base games on pure default settings (none of that 'very slow' coach progression crap people do), I think they both do things well that the other game doesn't. I REALLY miss the added passing mechanics from M20 when I play NCAA (like the catch types, high/low throws, different throw velos, etc.). On NCAA, the lineplay is 1000 times better - there is a proper pocket collapse and a sense of dynamicism - it's a blast to step up, navigate a "dirty pocket", and throw a strike. Of course, NCAA wins "hands down" on CPU QB AI...
Old 05-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
MVP

young22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I think the 'flow' of the college season makes it more fun and interesting than pro sports. You're always working on team-building (via recruiting) for college, even during the season and that adds a different element to keep you engaged throughout the season. For NFL, it's grind games, offseason (YAY!), grind games, offseason (YAY!)...rinse and repeat. For this reason alone, I don't love comparing the two games - sure they're both football, but it's a completely different process flow for the modes; one that is always going to give college sports franchise modes a bit of an edge IMO.

In terms of gameplay, if you take the base games on pure default settings (none of that 'very slow' coach progression crap people do), I think they both do things well that the other game doesn't. I REALLY miss the added passing mechanics from M20 when I play NCAA (like the catch types, high/low throws, different throw velos, etc.). On NCAA, the lineplay is 1000 times better - there is a proper pocket collapse and a sense of dynamicism - it's a blast to step up, navigate a "dirty pocket", and throw a strike. Of course, NCAA wins "hands down" on CPU QB AI...
What's wrong with very slow progression? I've always had it on slow/very slow

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »