Home

A few newbie questions...

This is a discussion on A few newbie questions... within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A few newbie questions...

Hi all, new to FIFA and soccer in general.

A couple questions I have regarding my first season in career mode with the Sounders.

1. Transfer budget is used for both players and scouts, correct? How many youth academy scouts should I have vs normal GTN scouts?

2. I've had two of my top players get hurt for 6+ months and I'm not in the July transfer window yet. Do I just have to wait it out and use reserves?

3. I got offered the Finland National Team job. Will I get more national team offers or should I just accept it?

4. Since the MLS plays in the months that most leagues around the country are in off season, couldn't I loan my best players long term to other teams? Then they'd be back in time for my season?

5. I think my transfer budget for the Sounders was 4 million and $50k week remaining. Can some explain the differences? I assume it means I can only sign $50k in weekly contacts for the rest of the year, just want to make sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Rookie

chicagoblue's Arena

Re: A few newbie questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgangordie

A couple questions I have regarding my first season in career mode with the Sounders.

1. Transfer budget is used for both players and scouts, correct? How many youth academy scouts should I have vs normal GTN scouts?

2. I've had two of my top players get hurt for 6+ months and I'm not in the July transfer window yet. Do I just have to wait it out and use reserves?

3. I got offered the Finland National Team job. Will I get more national team offers or should I just accept it?

4. Since the MLS plays in the months that most leagues around the country are in off season, couldn't I loan my best players long term to other teams? Then they'd be back in time for my season?

5. I think my transfer budget for the Sounders was 4 million and $50k week remaining. Can some explain the differences? I assume it means I can only sign $50k in weekly contacts for the rest of the year, just want to make sure.

Welcome to FIFA first off, yes the transfer budget is for both of those things. You can only hire up to 3 scouts for your youth academy, and I think you can have up to 6 scouts for the GTN. I personally don't use the GTN, since I already am familiar with a lot of the players in the football world. Question 2: Unfortunately you can't do anything but wait if your players get hurt. So you'll obviously have to use your subs or reserves in the meantime. Question 3: You will get more national team offers the longer you wait. They base it off of meeting your goals and how many games/seasons you've played. I personally don't take any offers until my second season of any career mode.

Question 4: I'm not entirely sure, since I've not played with any MLS sides. but I do know the summer transfer window you can get players and loan players from Europe. Try to get players from South America, since I believe they are on the same schedule. Question 5: You sign players based on how much they are, but that doesn't mean you can afford their wages. The price tag is set by the club that is selling the player, but the wages are set by the player themselves. So since you have a $50k wage budget, you cannot sign a player whose wage is over $50k. Does that make sense?
Football - Chelsea FC

Chelsea til I Die
Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I also have a newbie question. With manual passing, what is the difference between a pass and a through ball?

I understand the difference with assisted passing. But with manual passing, can't I effectively do a through ball by aiming in correctly and putting the accurate power to it?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgangordie

4. yes but just know that the transfers will go into the actual season, they won't return before your MLS season starts. same with short term loans but it is a good way to get them more experience in the MLS off-season.

5. yes you have transfer budget and a weekly salary budget, they both pull from the same pool. you can adjust it in your settings which will lower the transfer money and raise the weekly salary budget. basically it helps you squeak through on that last transfer type-thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I also have a newbie question. With manual passing, what is the difference between a pass and a through ball?

I understand the difference with assisted passing. But with manual passing, can't I effectively do a through ball by aiming in correctly and putting the accurate power to it?
sorta but the through ball will allow you a different type of pass with more pace that the normal pass won't. for short through balls, yeah the normal manual pass can be substituted but for the longer through balls you will still need the through ball pass.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrucker
sorta but the through ball will allow you a different type of pass with more pace that the normal pass won't. for short through balls, yeah the normal manual pass can be substituted but for the longer through balls you will still need the through ball pass.
This is one of the major problems with FIFA actually. Players react to what the controller input is, instead of taking into context what is actually happening on the pitch. How this hasn't been sorted out yet is beyond me, and is typical of an EA game. For example, using a ground through ball gives you a bit more pace on the pass than a normal ground pass with an equivalent power bar (for whatever reason), as you said. However, the disconnect is where the player receiving the ball will treat this as a through ball instead of just a ball being played towards him, and potentially will let it run through him or will take the wrong path to accept possession, missing it altogether. This happens very, very frequently with lofted through balls and balls played over the top with the X/Square button. The former with much more arc and less power applied, while the latter having a very flat trajectory and much more power applied, again assuming the power bars are equivalent. The regaled Ignite engine has done nothing to solve problems like this, this being only one small, but very impactful example. Hopefully that clears things up a bit. That said, welcome to FIFA 14, the community is glad to have you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

Soccer Newbie here aswell, started a manager mode with Melbourne Victory, would like to work my way to landing a job in EPL...so any tips appreciated!

also im still trying to wrap my head around the transfer stuff and how buying and selling players work aswell as how the scouting works, i've set up some scouts to get info on youths, is it possible to sign a stud teenager?...is this the approach i should take?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman
Soccer Newbie here aswell, started a manager mode with Melbourne Victory, would like to work my way to landing a job in EPL...so any tips appreciated!

also im still trying to wrap my head around the transfer stuff and how buying and selling players work aswell as how the scouting works, i've set up some scouts to get info on youths, is it possible to sign a stud teenager?...is this the approach i should take?
For better job offers, you just have to do well in your league and you'll get offers. I don't know if you'll be able to get a job over at EPL, but you will get better offers from higher tier teams the better you do.

As for the 2nd thing. Generally when you're a lower tier club with not too much money, you want to rely more on loans if anything. Bring players in for a season or two and then possibly have the option to buy. The higher you finish, the bigger your transfer budget.

But if you must (or can), then yes. Scouting for youth players is the key to the future in this game. Just keep an eye out for their potential.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

Thank you! I will try to get a good player on a loan! thats great advice!, and will keep an eye out for some youth stars....

I have a few more newbie questions!, I'm very new to soccer but loving learning the game! and very much looking forward to this years World Cup to get familiar with the top players and how the soccer world works...

What would increase my chances of ending up in the EPL?,keep taking higher job offers?

How and when do I sign a youth prospect?

how do i get get a player on loan?/ Buy or sell players?

I really need to increase my budgets and wages,do i ask the board for more money?

I come from the NBA2k boards and have a love for realistic sim ball..any sliders to recommend?

How many year deep does manager mode go?

Last edited by Matty Aqua; 06-06-2014 at 07:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »