Home

FIFA 18: Full manual unplayable?

This is a discussion on FIFA 18: Full manual unplayable? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Unhappy FIFA 18: Full manual unplayable?

Hey OS community,

the time has come that I have to rant about controls in FIFA 18, and I'm asking myself if I'm the only one with those problems.

I played the game for 20 hours now and still can't adapt to it. Of course it needs some time every year to nearly get to the same skill level as before, but I feel that it's different this year and I guess that the full manual controls are the key.

Every year I play a CM with Arsenal, with a strong possession game, controlling the ball and the opponent. With FIFA 18, I absolutely boss possession, even though the passing precision feels pretty bad. But regarding dribbling and chance creating, it's playing awful. I always play short passes around the opponent's box, searching for a hole in the defense to exploit, but most times my through balls are easily intercepted or my players, although technically gifted, just lose the ball. I still win most matches, but it simply doesn't feel right, as most of my goals come from set pieces or fast-paced counters which at least give me some room to play into.

My first guesses to pinpoint my problem were me accustoming to the new game and the sliders. But since I read from release that so many players think that the offense and especially through balls are too easy this year, which is the exact opposite to my experience, I've come to the realization that maybe it's the full manual controls which limit my playing abilities in FIFA 18. An indication for that finding is the pass speed slider, which was lowered as far as 35 in recent OS community slider versions and literally made the game unplayable for me, as it forced me to hold the pass button for seconds to find a teammate with a simple short pass. I also lowered the difficulty to world class for the first time in years, but that doesn't really help with my problems at all.

So my question to other players who use full manual controls is: Do you recognize those problems? Do you have problems controlling the game and creating chances as well? Or is it just me? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for any answers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 18: Full manual unplayable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominat0r
Hey OS community,

the time has come that I have to rant about controls in FIFA 18, and I'm asking myself if I'm the only one with those problems.

I played the game for 20 hours now and still can't adapt to it. Of course it needs some time every year to nearly get to the same skill level as before, but I feel that it's different this year and I guess that the full manual controls are the key.

Every year I play a CM with Arsenal, with a strong possession game, controlling the ball and the opponent. With FIFA 18, I absolutely boss possession, even though the passing precision feels pretty bad. But regarding dribbling and chance creating, it's playing awful. I always play short passes around the opponent's box, searching for a hole in the defense to exploit, but most times my through balls are easily intercepted or my players, although technically gifted, just lose the ball. I still win most matches, but it simply doesn't feel right, as most of my goals come from set pieces or fast-paced counters which at least give me some room to play into.

My first guesses to pinpoint my problem were me accustoming to the new game and the sliders. But since I read from release that so many players think that the offense and especially through balls are too easy this year, which is the exact opposite to my experience, I've come to the realization that maybe it's the full manual controls which limit my playing abilities in FIFA 18. An indication for that finding is the pass speed slider, which was lowered as far as 35 in recent OS community slider versions and literally made the game unplayable for me, as it forced me to hold the pass button for seconds to find a teammate with a simple short pass. I also lowered the difficulty to world class for the first time in years, but that doesn't really help with my problems at all.

So my question to other players who use full manual controls is: Do you recognize those problems? Do you have problems controlling the game and creating chances as well? Or is it just me? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for any answers!
I've created some lovely goals. I think this year, the defending AI is much better. You have to be more creative with your passes, where I felt in fifa 17 or in the past there were subtle nuances and I don't want to say exploits you could target if you really wanted to go for a goal, like cutting in etc.. I feel like the strength and physical contact is really good this year, its a lot harder to beat stronger players.

I would try using different passing variations, RB or R1 with x or a (a hard ground pass) can be extremely effective when crossing the ball inside the 18 yard box, Barcelona style.

Looking for runs and lil chips over in and around the 18 yard box, much like you see from Barcelona as well.

Also its up to you to bring the opponent out and get them to open up more. Possession and no goals is worthless. Try long distance shooting and wide crosses early in the match, don't settle with just meaningless passing if they are parking the bus.

Good luck

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »