Home

FIFA 21 - Formations and Custom Tactics

This is a discussion on FIFA 21 - Formations and Custom Tactics within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
FIFA 21 - Formations and Custom Tactics

This thread didn't get a lot of traction last year but I'm hoping it will get a little more this year as this is something that I have a lot of fun exploring.

Last year I worked on a 5-4-1 Diamond formation that I really enjoyed using. It was balanced, versatile, and unique. I tried replicating it this year, but didn't have quite as much success. While it's a versatile formation on defense, it's fairly narrow and one dimensional on offense, relying heavily on the midfield four to create. Midfield is lacking in FIFA 21, so I wasn't getting the same results when I had the ball. I tried switching things up a bit, and have found something that preserves the 3 at the back style that I like to play, whilst offering more dynamic and versatile play on offense.

My current formation is a slightly modified 4-3-3 Attack, with the fullbacks pushed up as wingbacks. Player types are as follows:

GK - Balanced
LWB - Attacking wingback
CB - Ball playing defender
CB - Ball playing defender
RWB - Attacking wingback
LCM - Ball winning midfielder
RCM - Box to box
CAM - Advanced playmaker
LW - Inverted winger
RW - Inverted winger
ST - Target man

With a few slight changes, this formation doesn't play out like a conventional 433, but instead more like a 343. The LCM is set to 'drop between defenders' and the wingbacks are set to 'get forward' and 'overlap'. This leaves three men back to defend, and pushes two extra men up into midfield. The wingers are then set to 'cut inside', which allows them to play off the target man in the middle, whilst the wingbacks playing high still facilitates a wide attack simultaneously.

I set my default tactics to 'press after possession loss', and press even more when behind in a game. This formation facilitates that nicely as the LCM combined with the CBs, forming a back 3, and allowing your front 4 to pressure the opponent whilst they're in possession.

Anybody else found any formations or tactics that they're currently enjoying?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: FIFA 21 - Formations and Custom Tactics

Nice! I'm a fan of tactics and exploring them. I always do a Eredivisie career trying to replicate the Total Football. Usually I play in a 3-4-3 but I already tried a crazy 2-6-1-1 lol.

With two CB, one defensive midfielder who came back as a sweeper, two wide midfielders with instructions to come back to help, two box-to-box players or one box-to-box and one playmaker at middle. And two CF and a proper striker, or two wingers and a striker. Just depends on my mood and the players I have. I tried so mamy things..

My actual career is with Nurnberg. My formation are 4 at back, one CDM, one CM, one CF (sometimes I put as a CAM) and a striker. With two wide players
Old 10-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I've been using a hybrid 352/343.

I set my LCB and RCB wider than they are by default, right about the edge of the box. I put my CBs with the best pace at these positions to help defend any quick counters down the side.

Both CDMs are set to stay back while attacking and to cover center.

Unless I'm chasing a result at the end of the game I always keep those 5 back on defense.

My LM and RM provide the width for the formation. I want them to have high/high work rates along with decent defending and crossing stats.

The LW and RW in the 343 have the same role as the LS and RS in my 352. The wingers instructions will be set to cut inside.
The striker in my 343 will be played as a false-9 and serve a similar role as the CAM in the 352.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
MVP

Does anyone know for certain how much difference manually moving a player's position makes on the pitch? Does it actually result in players adopting slightly different positions on the pitch, or do they follow one set of position instructions according to their named position regardless of where you move them.

Take a Left Winger as an example. I can keep him as wide as he is set by default, or I can press Square and manually shift his position more towards the middle of the field. Obviously if this changes his to LAM or LF then he will adopt different positions. However, if he remains a LW, just one who is narrow within the formation, does it actually have an impact in the pitch? Will he adopt narrower positions during the game, or will he always adopt the same positions regardless of how narrow or wide he is in my game plan because he is set to LW wherever I have him set up?

Apologies if this is unclear lol. It's tough to describe exactly what I mean.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
Does anyone know for certain how much difference manually moving a player's position makes on the pitch? Does it actually result in players adopting slightly different positions on the pitch, or do they follow one set of position instructions according to their named position regardless of where you move them.

Take a Left Winger as an example. I can keep him as wide as he is set by default, or I can press Square and manually shift his position more towards the middle of the field. Obviously if this changes his to LAM or LF then he will adopt different positions. However, if he remains a LW, just one who is narrow within the formation, does it actually have an impact in the pitch? Will he adopt narrower positions during the game, or will he always adopt the same positions regardless of how narrow or wide he is in my game plan because he is set to LW wherever I have him set up?

Good question...I would like to know the answer to this question too.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829

I don't know the answer to this but what I do is use the gameplans to move a LCM to LDM, LAM, or LW. This effectively moves my mids around and determines if they're playing defensively or offensively. I also use this to compact and spread my mids/backs depending on if I have possession.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »