Home

Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5
Building a roster

Figured I might start a thread about how people build their rosters in Fifa.

I play mostly offline career mode and have managed a few teams, starting a career mode over once after a few seasons.

For the teams i have settled in at for a few years, a similar trend starts to happen. I find myself with too much depth at some positions causing a few players with decent futures to get upset about time.

In my most recent career, going into year 4 with Sunderland, I find myself only using scouts 3 or 4 months of the year (before the May 1st ratings bump) so that I don't end up having a ton of young talent that doesn't play.

At this point i'm trying to only buy 1 player during the year from other clubs which seems to be helping.

How do others approach this with a team they've run for a few years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Building a roster

I am new to FIFA so I appreciate your information as I'm only in the beginning of season 2.

Scouting question...I know there are sites out there that show a player's potential and growth...is there a way to see this for 'real' players or players that are not in the youth academy? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Pro

doyce7's Arena

Not "in game" but there are sites that show it. As far as the roster building, I keep a fairly small roster for the most part. I play a 4-2-3-1 wide formation, so I like to have 2 GKs, 4 fulbacks(LB/RBs), 4 CBs, 4 CDMs, 4 wingers(LM/RM/LW/RW), 2 CAMs, and 2 ST. All other players get loaned out if possible or they just sit on the bench, til loaned or sold. If a guy has a future with me and I can't get a loan for him, I play him, even if he is worse than my other guys. So if I'm not playing a guy then I don't care if he starts whining and I just sell him, since he wasn't in my plans

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5

It can be tough in the Premier League if you have any success in the tournaments. Capitol one, FA, Euro League plus the regular season schedule. If i don't have decent depth I end up playing some really tired guys...if i have too much they are unhappy.

I noticed one time i praised the team and morale jumped up across the board. It doesn't work every time...but it was great when it did.

In my pre-season before year 4 I ended up dealing a good young CAM, a good young RW and let two other RWs walk. It gives me some room to move some of my better players into the lineup consistently but it might hurt later in the season.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Pro

doyce7's Arena

When I have a lot of games in a short time, I change the way I play. very few attacks and I just sit back and play D and slow build up play with short passes and no sprinting

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Pro

doyce7's Arena

One good strategy for depth is to take in a bunch of loan players to fill in for tired guys. They don't complain about not playing

Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Rookie

this is usually the area where my career mode gets really boring. depending on the team i manage, i like to sign players they are linked with IRL. have done a couple United ones, signing Reus, Ronaldo, Baines, etc. usually ends up with me having the FIFA TOTY for my squad, gets boring fast. but in my current mode with BVB Dortmund, i'm trying to make the squad realistic. Their starting XI is pretty decent, the only weak spot being LB (no cover for Schmelzer imo). but i am trying to be really restrictive with who i sign. no superstars unless they are old and almost retiring, or they want to leave their club and BVB has a realistic chance to sign them. i constantly try to build up a squad with the youth as well. try to sign only players from the country I manage internationally (almost always Germany).
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

I am almost done with my 1st full season at Arsenal after 1 1/2 seasons at Napoli and half a season at Arsenal. I end up doing the same thing with every team. I lose focus on defensive players and end up with too many attackers. I use LW, RW, CF and ST as attackers and have a "backup" for each of the 4 that are nearly as good as my starters. I also have 4 midfielders that trade time but the worse one is 82 ovr so they all want to start and get mad when they don't. I mainly use 6 different defensive players but always have the same 4 starting. I like to have quick players although I don't play a fast paced game all the time but it really comes in handy in those tough situations when you need a quick goal. They key is to get the players you want and stick with it. I found myself in another career selling too many players every transfer period and I would have 4 or 5 new starters by the time it was all said and done. Sometimes it enhanced my team and other times it was a trade off on certain skills that I probably shouldn't have done. Either way, just have fun with it!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »