Home

FIFA 21 OS Community Sliders

This is a discussion on FIFA 21 OS Community Sliders within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
FIFA 21 OS Community Sliders

Welcome:
Welcome to the yearly tradition of the OS Community sliders for FIFA, this year we play FIFA 21.

Brief History and Origin:
People ask me how this idea was started. It basically came down to myself and good friend Orion, who were working on our own FIFA sliders separately. Someone in one of my Twitch streams made the suggestion to maybe collaborate. I had not thought if that would be possible considering I didn't really know his approach, and if he knew mine. This difference of approach though allowed there to be a good balance in the sets we created. I would always test the absolute thresholds, while Orion would stay within/near default values. This ended up working great, and we have been working together since FIFA 15.

How we test:
Always in Career Mode. You are investing in sliders for a reason, and most of the time that is to play in Career Mode. So, it only makes sense to test in that same environment. With so many values to be looked at, and those values being in 1 point increments, it is very easy to come up with multiple versions of sliders. We will always test on Default first, then identify the main areas to look at. From there, it's about collaborating and finding workarounds for those problem areas. With sliders, it is always a balancing act, fix one thing - potentially break the next.

Version Format:
As I said this thread moves fast, and versions get updated. My goal is to always make less versions, but we're at the mercy of 1) EA's updates, and 2) Our own curiosity in determining the best values.

Similar to last year, I will be using the format in which the Version number is determined first, then a Beta number follows. For example, the first version will be Version 1, Beta 1; so it will read as : "V1B1", and down the road Version 6, Beta 2 will read "V6B2". As soon as it is determined that the version is "final", it will simply, for example, be called Version 6 Final, or "V6Final". I will make sure the OP is updated in a log format, so everyone is on the same page.

Helpful Reminders:
As always, remember that the thread moves very fast. I will do my best to update this Original Post as much as possible. I have learned a lot about how to be the "project manager" of this whole thing, so if I do not respond to every post, it is either because it got lost in the shuffle, or that replying to it would deter the thread from achieving the goal of establishing a slider set.

The Main Rules of the Thread:
1. Do not post your own full set. This deters the entire thread. All slider values are relative to one another, so if we see a value like 30 pass speed with a line length of 70, then that's not relevant to someone using a 50 pass speed with a line length of 35. It's better to leave it out of the thread, and create your own.

2. Feedback in Animation. The Match Stats only give so much information. Telling us the CPU has 99% passing is not helpful. Were they passing the ball through the backline the entire time? Details are important, and throughout the years I have asked for details in animations. What this means is simply "What do you see"? Is the CPU having that high passing because your defending players are too slow? Too far away? Too wide? In the end, VIDEO NEVER LIES, so if you have video to provide - please do so. That will save so much time and less of a Q&A.

3. We are not your customer service. This is a collaboration space. Noone is being paid here by EA. Provide feedback because you want to help, not because you feel entitled to let us do all the hard work and you sit back and criticize.

4. Respect each other. Thankfully, we have not run into this issue as much, but there have been times where it's close. First, regarding myself, I am the project manager here. What that means is I am going for a goal, and discussion about conspiracies, theories or ET is not going to be helpful. Secondly, we all have opinions and some know how to filter them, some do not. There is a message there, so do not get offended if someone disagrees with you. We love the game, and just want what is best for it - so keep it civil!

5. Please keep general impressions in the FIFA impressions thread, not here. This is a solution based thread, and general complaints will be ignored. We understand each iteration of FIFA has issues, what game doesn't, but we are given the tools to find workarounds. Remember, this is a slider thread, which means the sample size of play is significantly increased. Chances are if you are having an issue, we have most likely looked at it.
--------------------
--------------------

Please retweet/like my post to EA. We've got to push for this fix:

https://twitter.com/Matt10L/status/1314579097675325440

and most recent

https://twitter.com/Matt10L/status/1319472717695979522

--------------------
--------------------

Changelog & Updates:

Timestamp: 2/7/2021 | 10:30 AM CST --- I know it has been a LONG TIME since the last update. Honestly, that's never a bad thing in FIFA. However, I will admit, this lack of an update was probably the more defeated we have collectively felt in a while. We know the battle of realism against the FUT demands is always goin to go in their favor, but every year we try to make the best out of what we got.

The biggest issue with this FIFA 21 (current-gen and next-gen), is the midfielders for both User and CPU. Basically, they are passive and do not track back all the way. Reference FIFA 19 midfielders for a stark comparison. I've also included this twitter post that shows the difference of central midfielders in FIFA 21 vs FIFA 19:

https://twitter.com/Matt10L/status/1346617195019776006

This doesn't look like it will be changed unfortunately - at least not for FIFA 21 (fingers crossed). The mentality of "AI defending" is so user-specific, but EA crumbles to FUT demands - no matter how illogical they are.

So, this slider set finishes with a disappointing FIFA year. The game is still playable when there's a midfield, but is such a shame when there's not. This slider set simply enhances the previous V2B2, and brings in the customizations for different play style and settings - just how we did last year.

I would like to apologize for my lack of involvement in the thread recently. I have been working on my own development in learning to be a full-stack programmer. It has taken at least 40 hours each week. FIFA has always been on my mind though, and making time for it was a priority the last couple of weeks as these enhancements were made to V2B2. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have, but are still passionate to demand more from EA.

I want to thank the direct crew of testers that have been incredibly diligent in helping me finalize this set.

Enjoy!

--------------------
--------------------

Here is the Final version of the FIFA 21 Operation Sports Community Sliders. As always, please give feedback regarding this set exactly.

FIFA 21 Operation Sports Sliders |||FINAL||

Explanation of each value listed in Spoilers: Please note that this year the values of the sets are divided by a | line. Most value difference between the sets are obvious, but please ask in the thread if you have questions of why certain values were chosen.

Spoiler

Common Q&A:

Quote:
What causes the central midfielders not to track back?
Welcome to FIFA 21. This is the crux we have been facing from day one - and in my case Early Access. Make sure to retweet and like the Tweet I posted above (in the OP), because that's as good as we can ask for right now.

The big 3 attributes to get midfielders to play defense appear to be Reaction, Aggressiveness and Vision. If one of those is too low it throws off everything and they will almost always stand around. The higher those are the more likely they will track runners and defend. Having high interceptions and position attributes also contribute but don't need to be as high. Those attributes are not 100% going to guarantee they do their job but they are more likely to be engaged. It's not a fix but something to be on the look out for.

Quote:
Why do you recommend Legacy defending?
Because the central midfielders do not track back most of the time, the user is able to control the pressure on the ball with legacy defending.
Quote:
The CPU never crosses
We found that this is not necessarily because of sliders, it's mainly because of the type of player instructions. If they are set to cut inside, they won't cross as much. If they are set to stay out wide, they will.
Quote:
I played one game with the sliders, and it was terrible. I changed [values] and it's great.
This isn't helpful. I know we want a good experience immediately, but honestly, you have to set your expectations that there are going to be good games - and bad games - regardless of the sliders. One of my favorite matches was SD Huesca vs Levante. My worst is Rotherham v PNE. Why? SD Huesca like to cross a lot and have aggressive central midfielders. PNE have aggressive press after possession loss - so they get out of position a lot. All this means is that tactics make a huge difference to experiences. When we test sliders, we are keeping each tactic in mind. What plays well for a balanced team, may not play good at all for a constant pressure team. As a result, we have to find a medium. This is also why one of the main rules is to not act like we are customer service. Provide feedback to help - not to criticize.
Quote:
Why can't I play on Slow?
On slow, the CPU defenders allow runners into the box with ease. They are seen shuffling/jockeying aimlessly, and runners breeze past untouched - making crossing goals incredibly easy.

Example:

Quote:
Ultimate is so good. Why haven't you played it?
We honestly haven't gotten around to it. If you do play it, we need very specific details on why and why it is different compared to the posted Legendary or World Class (with modifier) posted?
Quote:
Competitor mode on or off?
If you have seen how competitor mode plays, then it's pretty obvious we would be against it. So, no, 100% competitor mode is OFF. I will update this in the slider set as well.
--------------------
--------------------
Streamers (Twitch, YouTube, etc): Please message me or post in the thread to be added!
http://twitch.tv/matt10l
- On this one you can type in !sliders in the chatbox, and the most recently streamed set will show.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Matt10L_SimSnobsFC
https://www.twitch.tv/laxing_
https://www.twitch.tv/Goblue81188
https://www.twitch.tv/Aaron458f
https://www.twitch.tv/Velocityy

--------------------
--------------------
Version Logs:
--------------------

Previous All Versions and Streamed Sets:

Version 2, Beta 2
Spoiler

Version 2, Beta 1
Spoiler

Version 1
Spoiler

Base Set - Findings 2
Spoiler

Base Set - Findings 1
Spoiler
Streamed Version - Work in Progress Set #1 (Early Access)
Spoiler

--------------------
FIFA OS Sliders Archive:
FIFA 20 OS Sliders
FIFA 19 OS Sliders
FIFA 18 OS Sliders
FIFA 17 OS Sliders
FIFA 16 OS Sliders
FIFA 15 OS Sliders
--------------------

Last edited by Matt10; 02-07-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Re: FIFA 21 OS Community Sliders

Thread is open, let's have a good year, everyone.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Let’s hope this year is more positive and less tweaking to the sliders!!

Aaron458f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Aaron458f
https://twitch.tv/aaron458f
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Rolling into FIFA '21...
what.gif
Old 09-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn
Rolling into FIFA '21...
Attachment 183699

Let’s hope it’s positive from the get go and not much tweaking!! Feeling positive about EA this year..... haha

Aaron458f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Aaron458f
https://twitch.tv/aaron458f
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

And boom goes the dynamite.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

I know it's quite the hope, but if the game is anything like the beta, the only value I felt 100% about was lowering pass speed. I definitely explored all the values though and feel like what we learned from FIFA 20 should carry over. What I anticipate though is the run frequency is going to be really important.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
MVP

Ohh yes , I've been waiting a whole year for this since I skipped FIFA 20 . Going a full year without FIFA has been brutal to say the least . Can't wait to jump in and start testing .

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »