Home

How do you hold the controller?

This is a discussion on How do you hold the controller? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
How do you hold the controller?

I had never really thought about this before - but then I read something about the "right" way to hold the controller when playing FIFA - and now I am re-considering my whole approach ...

I saw it suggested that you hold the controller such that you have four individual fingers on LB (left index), LT (left middle), RB (right index), and RT (right middle) ... left thumb on the left joystick ... right thumb on the buttons (X / Y / A / B) and the right joystick. This leaves my ring fingers and pinkies to hold the weight of the controller.

It definitely feels weird ... but I am willing to give it a try. "Sprint" is now on my middle finger ... "change player on defense" is independent from "jockey" ... the idea seems like it could help. It is supposed to help for jockey (LT+RT) and/or power shots (LB+RB) ... as well as for sending players on runs (LB ... this never seems to work right), driven passes (RB+A) ...

My directionality using the left joystick is a little "off" ... it is still my left thumb, but its position on the stick is a bit different, so that will take some time to adjust.

Is it worth going through the learning curve on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2023, 01:22 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do you hold the controller?

Tbh I’ve always held it like that.

My first console was a NES. My index fingers always rested on top of the controller just felt natural not to hold it like I was strangling it.

Once should buttons came in I started using my indexes. Once two shoulders buttons came in I just started using middles fingers without thinking, I suppose.

I’m right handed and always used my indexes for the main shoulder buttons. So on my PS controller, R1 is always sprint. Yeah, I don’t have this agile dribbling switched on now, but it doesn’t feel like I’m missing out.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:23 AM   #3
Rookie

should buttons? Shoulder buttons!
Old 03-18-2023, 06:21 AM   #4
MVP

How on earth did you hold the controller before?!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »