Home

FIFA Soccer 14 Next-Gen (PS4) Impressions

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 14 Next-Gen (PS4) Impressions within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: FIFA Soccer 14 Next-Gen (PS4) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Lack of fouls really kills the immersion of this game; might be even less than last generation 14.
I'm curious: Do you play on slow speed?

I ask because I was playing on normal, and I was seeing an average of seven combined fouls per match with 10 minute halves. Not great, but really not bad at all.

I decided that I was ready to try out some sliders because of the minor flaws in the game and moved to slow speed with Orion's set, and played a match with zero fouls (for both sides) on 15 minute halves. It makes me wonder.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #50
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Only played one half at the demo kiosk in Best Buy. I have no idea what level it was on but I know it wasn't WC/Legendary by the way the defenders weren't closing down. I didn't get '14 on CG since I knew I was getting a NG system and didn't put in any time with the CG demo. It was also on the PS4 and I hate that controller.

That disclaimer aside I immediately noticed how smooth the game was. Animations branched together seamlessly and the graphics really popped. I thought it was due to the TV they had set up but after asking the TV wasn't a 4k one, just a regular 1080p Samsung.

I'm strictly a CM guy with the occasional online game vs a buddy or 2 so the removal of Tournaments & Creation Center don't impact me but I feel sorry for those who miss it. I think it's kind of shady that companies (EA & 2K for example) don't put out a comparison list of features for their CG & NG offerings so people will know what to expect.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #51
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Lack of fouls really kills the immersion of this game; might be even less than last generation 14.
We have to be doing something different. I am seeing a lot more fouls than I ever did in 14 last gen.

I even saw Pepe get yellow carded for trying to move closer to me during a free kick. It was awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #52
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
I'm curious: Do you play on slow speed?

I ask because I was playing on normal, and I was seeing an average of seven combined fouls per match with 10 minute halves. Not great, but really not bad at all.

I decided that I was ready to try out some sliders because of the minor flaws in the game and moved to slow speed with Orion's set, and played a match with zero fouls (for both sides) on 15 minute halves. It makes me wonder.
Never mind the above post. I think it's actually tied to difficulty. Prior to loading up Orion's sliders I was playing on default Pro and seeing a lot of fouls. Now at World Class I'm seeing almost none. I think I had one (combined) in two matches, with maybe a couple more advantages played.

If I had to guess, part of the difficulty increase is that the CPU tackles more precisely, making fouls go away. And since the CPU makes better and quicker passing decisions on World Class/Legendary than on Pro, my fouls go down as well.

If I'm right, it kind of sucks. Pro is just too easy at the end of the day, but it seems to be where the fouls are.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just seeing some sort of placebo effect.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #53
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Never mind the above post. I think it's actually tied to difficulty. Prior to loading up Orion's sliders I was playing on default Pro and seeing a lot of fouls. Now at World Class I'm seeing almost none. I think I had one (combined) in two matches, with maybe a couple more advantages played.

If I had to guess, part of the difficulty increase is that the CPU tackles more precisely, making fouls go away. And since the CPU makes better and quicker passing decisions on World Class/Legendary than on Pro, my fouls go down as well.

If I'm right, it kind of sucks. Pro is just too easy at the end of the day, but it seems to be where the fouls are.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just seeing some sort of placebo effect.
That's a very logical explanation for this problem. Lack of fouls are the number one thing that need fixing in this game IMO. It all has to do with the gameplay though, so patching it really won't help all that much. EA needs to figure out a foul system that works with their gameplay. Hopefully this will be accomplished at some point because it really does hurt the experience. I've grown to accept it though and this is the first year that I've truly enjoyed FIFA.

I'm extremely excited to get the next gen version on PS4 today. I wasn't going to because I'm very content with it on current gen, but the improvements seem significant enough to upgrade. Plus I don't play single season or tournament so I'm good to go on that front.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #54
Rookie

Chronic Narnia's Arena

OVR: 0

Does anyone's game ever "lag" or "stutter" briefly switching views after a goal kick or corner kick?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 4

I'm brand new to the game. I just wanted to start a simple season mode to start with but didn't see an option for it. Do I need to choose the my gm mode or my player ? and if I choose gm mode can I turn alot of the options off so I can just worry about playing the games?

I eventually want to dig deeper into the game, but just starting out I want to get the controls and gameplay down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #56
Pro

laxman490's Arena

OVR: 6

i guess an Xbox One thread hasn't been made yet, but i just got it for that and i think its great. i assume its pretty much the same as ps4. i love how loose balls really feel like 50-50 balls and that there is a fight to gain possession. new shooting animations are great and love the in-game replays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »