Home

Does the CPU cheat?

This is a discussion on Does the CPU cheat? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #81
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Does the CPU cheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
So, how is that cheating? I have seen worse in real games.
What...a ball defying the laws of physics to rocket off a soft pair of hands into the net?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #82
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp
I see these types of complaints frequently and all I can say is that this doesn't happen in the games that I play. I'll reiterate: every time that I've felt kinda cheated by this game, I can clearly point to programming flaws that are to blame (instead of some devious coding behind the scenes to screw us over).
Obviously any blatant advantage given to the CPU can be tied back to poor programming. I think that is pretty much inferred in all cases.

I certainly don't believe it was done on purpose, but the result of the poor coding lead to the game cheating for the CPU on higher difficulties.

If you play offline with sliders, some of these issues won't rear their head as often, but if you play online in any capacity, forget about it.

Last edited by JODYE; 04-21-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #83
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
What...a ball defying the laws of physics to rocket off a soft pair of hands into the net?
Not to mention your defender (who had the angle) running away from the play to cover...no one? Just a god awful sequence there.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
To be honest, as frustrating as that play might have been, I wouldn't say that it is cheating. A bad bounce really. I have gotten some of those bounces going my way, and I don't complain.

"Cheating" or "CPU Cheese" has been nothing new for EA games. With the exception of MVP Baseball back in the day, I would say that every single EA game was prone to this type of programming. Madden and NCAA football were the absolute worst.

Playing on legendary, I will admit that there are times when the computer is trailing that they kick things into gear and suddenly play phenomenally. But, is that really anything to complain about? In my opinion, no.

What I do find, it that the harder the difficulty, the closer the parody between player's skills. For example, if I am playing on legendary and I have a striker with 90 speed against a defender with 60-70 speed, they still manage to keep up. However, this doesn't swing the other way.

Do I consider the CPU cheating? No. Do I think that EA could do a better job of programming their games, which hasn't changed much in 15 years? Yes.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #85
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGTI13

Playing on legendary, I will admit that there are times when the computer is trailing that they kick things into gear and suddenly play phenomenally. But, is that really anything to complain about? In my opinion, no.

What I do find, it that the harder the difficulty, the closer the parody between player's skills. For example, if I am playing on legendary and I have a striker with 90 speed against a defender with 60-70 speed, they still manage to keep up. However, this doesn't swing the other way.

Do I consider the CPU cheating? No. Do I think that EA could do a better job of programming their games, which hasn't changed much in 15 years? Yes.
I agree. Playing against a team that turns it up is a good thing.

I think you are spot on in observing that players become too alike at higher difficulties.

But the bad programming favours the CPU 95% of the time. All the deflections go there way. Its never their strikers falling over for no reason as they are about to shoot. It's their defenders that are super human tacklers and clearers.

Look at the vid below. The CPU was awarded a penalty shot.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #86
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

OVR: 2

Perhaps anyone posting a clip of "cheating" or providing an anecdote should also mention their settings (difficulty, manual or not, etc...) because so many of these "cheating" instances are rectified by playing on manual. At the very least you can avoid the ones related to passing and shooting.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #87
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
Perhaps anyone posting a clip of "cheating" or providing an anecdote should also mention their settings (difficulty, manual or not, etc...) because so many of these "cheating" instances are rectified by playing on manual. At the very least you can avoid the ones related to passing and shooting.
I play on fully manual, world class diff.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 0

I play exclusively offline career mode, either legendary of world class with my own sliders. I don't think games are scripted with an end result in mind, I don't even think the CPU predetermines any goals. I do feel with absolutely 100% certainly that the user can be applied a few different handicaps that can make it a virtual certainty that the CPU is going to create chances and it will be nearly impossible for the user to create chances. I think there are three handicaps (cheats) that are applied to the user. Some games you may not see any, some games you may have to deal with all of them for the full 90....these are the games that are impossible to win. Most games I will go through stretches where it's painfully obvious one or more of these handicaps is being applied.

Space Jam Cheat - The ratings drop is the most fundamental cheat in the history of sports video games and the most obvious when it's being applied. You can tell it's on when passing around your back four becomes a challenge despite zero defensive pressure. Your players suddenly develop no first touch, every skill move becomes slow motion and ever player you switch to defensively takes forever to get moving. When this handicap is on your only hope of scoring is a counter or a header.

The Spectator Cheat - This is when all of your teammates stop participating and force you to everything yourself. Players will stop all off the ball movement offensively and you are forced to chase the ball around your own half because your nine teammates become statues. Your players won't start any runs on their own regardless of settings, won't finish any runs and just generally become completely worthless. Defensively it's even worse. In my last game I watched the CPU dribble the ball from their penalty box to my corner flag with a single one of my teammates (every guy on the pitch for me is rated 82+) even acknowledging the guy. I could care less if I give up goals, I want to give up goals. But I don't want them to come from one guy walking the ball to corner, firing a cross to striker standing alone 6 yards from goal. Unleash a 30 yard screamer, string together eight straight passes, I don't care how, just make it look like something I've seen happen in a real game.

The Pass Cheat - This is where the CPU obviously chooses the wrong guy to pass to. Nearly every game I go through at least one stretch of play where any penetrating pass or through ball goes to the wrong man. I know I'm not perfect and as evidenced by my passing on manual I'm off by a few degrees quite a bit.....But when i press up and right my pass should not go up and left. The game also likes to take passes with 10%-20% power and send them 60 yards away. If this is the only handicap applied you can still score with skill or counters where the CPU doesn't have the chance to screw you up. Pass error should result in poorly weighted balls or balls just a bit offline, not 50 yards and 180 degrees offline.

I guess this is EA's way of scripting momentum during games or implement the up's and down's of a season but in 2014 it's flat out ridiculous that we have to deal with this crap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »