Home

Advice to a new FIFA 14 user

This is a discussion on Advice to a new FIFA 14 user within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Advice to a new FIFA 14 user

The last time I played the FIFA series was back during the N64 days. Even then I didn't play that much. Decided I wanted to get into soccer so I bought the game on the Playstation store so I'm eagerly waiting to get started.

Any tips for a rookie? I can't find information about the FIFA 14 career modes. What are it's pros and cons? Which career mode do you like better?

What's the learning curve? I play sports games all the time - Namely NBA 2K and Madden. Should I be able to learn the controls easier? Sorry for the vague questions haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Advice to a new FIFA 14 user

Just play. It's pretty straight forward.

Other than that I would definitely recommend adjusting sliders to help the CPU attack, maybe even bumping up the difficulty as well. The CPU AI is far too passive when on offense.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

dont use your hands
dont go offside

and most importantly

NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Enjoying my first couple days with FIFA.

I'm pretty much new to team building in soccer. I have read the Idiots guide to soccer articles that were posted on OS a while ago. Is there a guide anywhere that can help me learn to build soccer teams?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Pro

doyce7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurocksrule

I'm pretty much new to team building in soccer. I have read the Idiots guide to soccer articles that were posted on OS a while ago. Is there a guide anywhere that can help me learn to build soccer teams?
I learned through trial and error. Best way to learn if you ask me. Just takes alot longer haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurocksrule

what kind of team to you want to build? what formation are you going to generally play out of? Before you build a team, think about how you want to play the game.

I generally play out of the 4-4-2 and all the variations of it. This year I switched to 4-3-3. I originally wanted to try a false 9 approach but honestly it is not really my style. I build up between my midfielders and wingers then feed my forward ground passes for goals. majority of my goals are inside 10 meters from the goal.

The way I am building my team.

wingers are key to my attack, I look for dribbling, short pass, vision, and finishing as my primary skills. I only look at physical skills to make decisions on players when technical skills are equal or close to it. Although my focus is to score with my forward, these guys still need to be able to score, so finishing is very important.

CF / ST position just needs to have ball control, short passing, finishing, weak foot and attack position skills. I rarely attack from crosses, so my forward just gets fed all game long. If I can't get a pass directly to him from the wing, then I take hard shots at the edge of the box and try to get a deflecting from the keeper to him.

central midfielders just need stamina, short and long passing, free kick, curve, etc. These guys setup the wingers, who then setup the forward. Because I am looking for specific abilities from the wings and forwards, these guys need to be able to fill in with the other team skills free kicks, penalties, corners, etc. although my fullbacks generally have crossing and curve skills for corners.

defenders, just need defensive skills, jumping, and heading skills for set pieces.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

what would be the best team and or players to play with as a newbie?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger
what would be the best team and or players to play with as a newbie?
Depends on whether youre a newbie to just the game, or newbie to the fifa game and soccer in general. If youre a newbie to both, its probably most important to get to know the basics first, so I would suggest teams with top players like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal and work that way. Players would be Messi, Ronaldo, Luis Suarez, Falcao and others.

If you know something about soccer, but are new to the game, I would suggest playing on a mid to high level champions league team like Zenit, or going all out and becoming familiar with the English Championship and try to get promoted to the Premier League.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »