Home

Had an awesome World Cup experience

This is a discussion on Had an awesome World Cup experience within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Had an awesome World Cup experience

Okay so I know there is a "how is your career mode going" thread but I figure I would create a thread for this story.

In my first year I was offered multiple international jobs and I narrowed it down to Scotland and Ecuador.

I decided to go with Scotland. My expectations were to qualify for theWorld Cup and make it to the round of 16 in the Euro Championship. I figured qualifying for the WC would be quite the task (I am not that good at FIFA) and then I saw exactly what I had to do.

My group included Spain in 1st, Belgium in 2nd, Scotland in 3rd, and Greece in 4th. This made me scared. I was one point behind Belgium and two points ahead of Greece. Top two advance. Not too bad. Two games remaining. Against Belgium and then Greece. Okay so maybe it is that bad.

In a match where I lost five pounds by sweating, I managed to best Belgium 2-1. Belgium scored early (like within 10 minutes) but I managed to bring it level before HT. Early into the second half I scored and then played keep away for the rest of the game. All I now had to do was win or draw against Greece and my ticket was punched. Spoiler alert: I drew 0-0. The Scots were going to Brasil!!

So, what were the odds that I could make it past the group stage? I figured it would come down to who was in my group, and damn did I get a nice draw:
1. Brazil. Well **** what luck. I'm screwed right?
2. New Zealand. Oh cool I can beat them.
3. Hungary. Hot Damn I can make it!

So the first match had me against NZ and, my friends, the Scots could not be stopped. We won 4-1. Brazil beat Hungary to no ones surprise.

Second match against Hungary was different. After HT it was still 0-0. I did not like my chances if I drew. In the 62nd minute Rhodes scored a goal (his third of the WC). In the 76th minute Hungary scored a equalizer...and then proceeded to do the Gangam Style dance in the corner. Murder was in my eyes. Buut then in the 81st minute I scored off a beautiful header.
Brazil of course beat NZ so the Scots were in the round of 16. I then did the Gangum Style dance in my living room.

Third match against Brazil. I gave some subs the start. Hey did you guys know Brazil is pretty damn good? They won 2-0 but it was not that close. Kinda bought me down to reality there. They dominated possession the entire match. I had 3 awesome opportunities for goals, but my strikers were not in good form.

Round of 16 saw me take on Italy. What. A. Game. 0-0 After HT. The Italians decided to stop playing and around the 60th minute they scored off of a beautiful exchange. Soon after they threatened again. The sweat returned. But soon after I got a beautiful long shot (probably about 28 yards) with Morrison to bring it level. I felt I could win it. Until the 78th minute when they scored on a awesome cross and header. Dude put it perfect at the back post. Just world class. I had two near goals before it was over (one even bounced off the post!) before losing. I am not kidding when I say that was an epic contest. Back and forth the entire game.

So our WC was over but all in all, it was a hell of a ride. Also, I am now in love with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Now for a question or two. Does my surprise run at the WC give me any benefit? In past FIFA's there was manager's prestige but it seems to be gone or hidden. Would our performance put my name out there?

Second, how risky would it be to resign from Scotland with the hopes of being offered the job at USA? They did not have a good WC. Did not make it past the group stage and got one point (Spain won by the way). I'm still managing at DC United in the MLS so I am leaning towards waiting until I move up to a better position before I leave Scotland. Smart?

Anyway, I can't wait to get through the next 4 years to do it again. Running as a MLS team is kinda...boring. But the WC was awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Had an awesome World Cup experience

That sounds pretty great man.

I personally turned down all international jobs for three years. And finally got the offer from USA. But if I didn't get an offer from them by the end of my current season I was going to accept one. I guess I got lucky.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Okay so I know there is a "how is your career mode going" thread but I figure I would create a thread for this story.

In my first year I was offered multiple international jobs and I narrowed it down to Scotland and Ecuador.

I decided to go with Scotland. My expectations were to qualify for theWorld Cup and make it to the round of 16 in the Euro Championship. I figured qualifying for the WC would be quite the task (I am not that good at FIFA) and then I saw exactly what I had to do.

My group included Spain in 1st, Belgium in 2nd, Scotland in 3rd, and Greece in 4th. This made me scared. I was one point behind Belgium and two points ahead of Greece. Top two advance. Not too bad. Two games remaining. Against Belgium and then Greece. Okay so maybe it is that bad.

In a match where I lost five pounds by sweating, I managed to best Belgium 2-1. Belgium scored early (like within 10 minutes) but I managed to bring it level before HT. Early into the second half I scored and then played keep away for the rest of the game. All I now had to do was win or draw against Greece and my ticket was punched. Spoiler alert: I drew 0-0. The Scots were going to Brasil!!

So, what were the odds that I could make it past the group stage? I figured it would come down to who was in my group, and damn did I get a nice draw:
1. Brazil. Well **** what luck. I'm screwed right?
2. New Zealand. Oh cool I can beat them.
3. Hungary. Hot Damn I can make it!

So the first match had me against NZ and, my friends, the Scots could not be stopped. We won 4-1. Brazil beat Hungary to no ones surprise.

Second match against Hungary was different. After HT it was still 0-0. I did not like my chances if I drew. In the 62nd minute Rhodes scored a goal (his third of the WC). In the 76th minute Hungary scored a equalizer...and then proceeded to do the Gangam Style dance in the corner. Murder was in my eyes. Buut then in the 81st minute I scored off a beautiful header.
Brazil of course beat NZ so the Scots were in the round of 16. I then did the Gangum Style dance in my living room.

Third match against Brazil. I gave some subs the start. Hey did you guys know Brazil is pretty damn good? They won 2-0 but it was not that close. Kinda bought me down to reality there. They dominated possession the entire match. I had 3 awesome opportunities for goals, but my strikers were not in good form.

Round of 16 saw me take on Italy. What. A. Game. 0-0 After HT. The Italians decided to stop playing and around the 60th minute they scored off of a beautiful exchange. Soon after they threatened again. The sweat returned. But soon after I got a beautiful long shot (probably about 28 yards) with Morrison to bring it level. I felt I could win it. Until the 78th minute when they scored on a awesome cross and header. Dude put it perfect at the back post. Just world class. I had two near goals before it was over (one even bounced off the post!) before losing. I am not kidding when I say that was an epic contest. Back and forth the entire game.

So our WC was over but all in all, it was a hell of a ride. Also, I am now in love with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Now for a question or two. Does my surprise run at the WC give me any benefit? In past FIFA's there was manager's prestige but it seems to be gone or hidden. Would our performance put my name out there?

Second, how risky would it be to resign from Scotland with the hopes of being offered the job at USA? They did not have a good WC. Did not make it past the group stage and got one point (Spain won by the way). I'm still managing at DC United in the MLS so I am leaning towards waiting until I move up to a better position before I leave Scotland. Smart?

Anyway, I can't wait to get through the next 4 years to do it again. Running as a MLS team is kinda...boring. But the WC was awesome.
I have been US coach through 3 seasons as Everton manager, through WC 2014 and South American Cup 2015. WC saw a round of 16 exit to Uruguay. SA Cup saw me win Cup against Argentina. other that just friendlies, so boring. Thinking about resigning coaching team, and go with team in europe and going through Euros and next WC.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
I have been US coach through 3 seasons as Everton manager, through WC 2014 and South American Cup 2015. WC saw a round of 16 exit to Uruguay. SA Cup saw me win Cup against Argentina. other that just friendlies, so boring. Thinking about resigning coaching team, and go with team in europe and going through Euros and next WC.
You will also get the confederation cup in 2017 for US. Then WC again in 2018.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
Yeah timing is important; there can be long stretches of just a few friendlies no matter where you manage I think.

I decided to stick with Scotland for a while longer. I made it past the European Championship group stage so I will see where we go. After this tournament I plan to resign and wait for team USA to come knocking.

USA was eliminated from the SA cup in the semis I think.

(my group stage included England, Russia, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Northern Ireland. England advanced and won the group)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »