Home

Tactics?

This is a discussion on Tactics? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #25

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar

It was so fun to put in some tactics in 14 earlier and have a team smash it long on me, or back pass it, or side to side pass it along their midfield.
Yeah, the games are like night and day. One strange difference I noticed early on: how teams line up defensively on kick offs. In 14 the players line up pretty normally, taking up space pretty evenly, but in 15 the midfielders hug the halfway line, while the back four are in a straight line way, way back.

It's like midfield play and buildup play has been purposely minimized. Reminds of the jump from FIFA 11 to FIFA 12, but in reverse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #26
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
Yeah, I can't believe all the love people were giving the new Team Sheets in the pre-release review, when in actuality it's a steamy brown turd that is missing so many important features.

I was one of the folks on this site/writing for this site that gave a lot of love to the new sheets/instructions/tactics features but how were we supposed to know they wouldn't work correctly?

I was excited thinking about how we could replicate what we see on tv in terms of the team styles (specifically the cpu) but I guess we shouldn't have given EA the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I was one of the folks on this site/writing for this site that gave a lot of love to the new sheets/instructions/tactics features but how were we supposed to know they wouldn't work correctly?

I was excited thinking about how we could replicate what we see on tv in terms of the team styles (specifically the cpu) but I guess we shouldn't have given EA the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look for an article from me about it shortly.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG

Nobody reviewing the game early took the time to delve into the Team Sheets. Not one mention was made by anyone (at least that I saw) saying that the ability to set man marking assignments or formation workrates was removed. Not to mention they removed the graphical indicator of how many subs have been used, so when you jump into a weekly highlight match you have no clue how many subs have already been burned.

Like all things EA, Team Sheets looks nice from 50,000 feet and 20 minutes of use, but when you start to dig a little deeper you soon reveal the true turd that it is. That said, the new instructions are nice, at least the ones that work, but everything else is a half baked attempt at innovation.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Nobody reviewing the game early took the time to delve into the Team Sheets. Not one mention was made by anyone (at least that I saw) saying that the ability to set man marking assignments or formation workrates was removed. Not to mention they removed the graphical indicator of how many subs have been used, so when you jump into a weekly highlight match you have no clue how many subs have already been burned.

Like all things EA, Team Sheets looks nice from 50,000 feet and 20 minutes of use, but when you start to dig a little deeper you soon reveal the true turd that it is. That said, the new instructions are nice, at least the ones that work, but everything else is a half baked attempt at innovation.
Be patient Hutton, James (TheLetterZ) has an article coming out soon which was written before a lot of us found out about this issue.

I know I have personally complained about the lack of being to select who you want to come up on set-pieces as well as the ability to do zonal/man marking on them.

Trust, we have a lot of FIFA content coming out within the next few weeks.

We just needed some time to dive into the game.

Last edited by KG; 10-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
Banned

Hutton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Be patient Hutton, James (TheLetterZ) has an article coming out soon which was written before a lot of us found out about this issue.

I know I have personally complained about the lack of being to select who you want to come up on set-pieces as well as the ability to do zonal/man marking on them.

Trust, we have a lot of FIFA content coming out within the next few weeks.

We just needed some time to dive into the game.

Set piece control would be lovely, especially considering this is the year 2014. And zonal marking, that's just a crazy concept to ea. I could only dream at this point.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #31
Banned

Hutton's Arena

This was something encouraging I found yesterday regarding edited custom tactics.

I decided after watching the Spurs Soho match Sunday morning and observing the massive amount of long balls played all over the pitch from both teams to do some additional tweaking/testing of tactics.

First off, I set the tactic width=5 for Soho & Spurs, which forces the defense to shift much more toward ball side, i.e. of the ball is on the left flank all players shift over, leaving virtually nobody defending the right flank. This models how teams play much better IMO, as the players IRL rotate to the ball side way more frequently that they do on EA's default settings. Also to note, I am using a slider line width= 40/40, which tightens up the space between LB CB CB RB.

I then set the Soho passing= 100, LONG LONG LONG. This ball was played early on, something that I rarely saw the CPU do in the 50+ matches I've played.

Notice how narrow my RB is playing (best seen in the END to END view in this vid), he is positioned very tight, rotated to the ball side when the pass is made, then starts to track the striker running down the middle, leaving the long ball pass to Mane there for the CPU to use. My RB is probably too far rotated to the ball side, but if this helps create open space on the switching flank that the CPU will take advantage of then I am all in favor.

Typically what I'd see here is the CPU Soho MF playing a short ground pass or over dribbling with the ball. I only played the 1st half of this match, but the CPU Soho was playing a much more direct, long ball game.

Last edited by Hutton; 10-06-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
This was something encouraging I found yesterday regarding edited custom tactics.

I decided after watching the Spurs Soho match Sunday morning and observing the massive amount of long balls played all over the pitch from both teams to do some additional tweaking/testing of tactics.

First off, I set the tactic width=5 for Soho & Spurs, which forces the defense to shift much more toward ball side, i.e. of the ball is on the left flank all players shift over, leaving virtually nobody defending the right flank. This models how teams play much better IMO, as the players IRL rotate to the ball side way more frequently that they do on EA's default settings. Also to note, I am using a slider line width= 40/40, which tightens up the space between LB CB CB RB.

I then set the Soho passing= 100, LONG LONG LONG. This ball was played early on, something that I rarely saw the CPU do in the 50+ matches I've played.

Notice how narrow my RB is playing (best seen in the END to END view in this vid), he is positioned very tight, rotated to the ball side when the pass is made, then starts to track the striker running down the middle, leaving the long ball pass to Mane there for the CPU to use. My RB is probably too far rotated to the ball side, but if this helps create open space on the switching flank that the CPU will take advantage of then I am all in favor.

Typically what I'd see here is the CPU Soho MF playing a short ground pass or over dribbling with the ball. I only played the 1st half of this match, but the CPU Soho was playing a much more direct, long ball game.
That's awesome, Hutton!!

I tested last night's sliders with line width @ 70-100 and it seemed to have unlocked the long balls even more. Yes, the defending will have to be addressed - but it is promising. I posted more details in the impressions and my sliders thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »