Home

Tactics?

This is a discussion on Tactics? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
This was something encouraging I found yesterday regarding edited custom tactics.

I decided after watching the Spurs Soho match Sunday morning and observing the massive amount of long balls played all over the pitch from both teams to do some additional tweaking/testing of tactics.

First off, I set the tactic width=5 for Soho & Spurs, which forces the defense to shift much more toward ball side, i.e. of the ball is on the left flank all players shift over, leaving virtually nobody defending the right flank. This models how teams play much better IMO, as the players IRL rotate to the ball side way more frequently that they do on EA's default settings. Also to note, I am using a slider line width= 40/40, which tightens up the space between LB CB CB RB.

I then set the Soho passing= 100, LONG LONG LONG. This ball was played early on, something that I rarely saw the CPU do in the 50+ matches I've played.

Notice how narrow my RB is playing (best seen in the END to END view in this vid), he is positioned very tight, rotated to the ball side when the pass is made, then starts to track the striker running down the middle, leaving the long ball pass to Mane there for the CPU to use. My RB is probably too far rotated to the ball side, but if this helps create open space on the switching flank that the CPU will take advantage of then I am all in favor.

Typically what I'd see here is the CPU Soho MF playing a short ground pass or over dribbling with the ball. I only played the 1st half of this match, but the CPU Soho was playing a much more direct, long ball game.
Well, this is highly intriguing! I definitely know what I'm messing with right when I get home first thing this evening.

Setting a low defensive width for all teams via custom tactics definitely can be done rather easy, and if that means some teams will hit it long, wonderful.

I guess I'm not entirely giving up on CTT just yet for FIFA 15. Almost, but not just yet...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #34
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
Well, this is highly intriguing! I definitely know what I'm messing with right when I get home first thing this evening.

Setting a low defensive width for all teams via custom tactics definitely can be done rather easy, and if that means some teams will hit it long, wonderful.

I guess I'm not entirely giving up on CTT just yet for FIFA 15. Almost, but not just yet...

Yes, this is the most positive thing I've seen from FIFA15 so far.

I know that on default settings (tactics & line sliders) teams play far too spread apart, and don't shift to ball side enough.

If you slice a real life pitch lengthwise into 3 sections, Left Center Right, and the ball is in the Right slice then 90% of the players should be in the Center & Right slices. This opens up the cross pitch long switching ball, which you see all the time IRL.

What the switching long pass does is forces the defense to move, reorganize & retain their shape & marking assignments. If the defense can't react properly then space becomes available. I think in FIFA everything is programmed to be so spread apart that there is no reason to play a killer long ball, because its always covered. So can you blame the CPU for playing a constant short, ground passing game? The players that are spread out to defend the entire pitch are therefor not in position to properly mark & close down the short passes, the pitch is wide freaking open to make easy short passes, boosting comp% to astronomical levels.

But when you pull everyone in closer you are in effect taking away the easy short passes, opening up the opportunity for longer killer balls. At least that's my current theory.

Last edited by Hutton; 10-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #35
Banned

Hutton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
That's awesome, Hutton!!

I tested last night's sliders with line width @ 70-100 and it seemed to have unlocked the long balls even more. Yes, the defending will have to be addressed - but it is promising. I posted more details in the impressions and my sliders thread.

Interesting, what is the thought process behind 70-100 Line width? That seems like it would spread the defense way apart, does this mean players make runs down open lanes (let's say splitting a CB & RB) and the longer pass becomes an option?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
Interesting, what is the thought process behind 70-100 Line width? That seems like it would spread the defense way apart, does this mean players make runs down open lanes (let's say splitting a CB & RB) and the longer pass becomes an option?
Last night on TwitchTV, we raised line width to 72/72 - marking at 62 - pass error @ 30. Shelvey from Swansea picked it up and saw Dyer running on the opposite side of the pitch. Shelvey was just behind the halfway line and saw him - sent a beautiful long pass over the top of the Spurs defense. Danny Rose was right on Dyer though and was able to disposses him, but then I was too amazed but what I saw and forgot to clear it, as Dyer won it back, lol.

I replayed it - i'll have to find it on TwitchTV later.

Test today, use my V6 settings, but change Line Width to 70-100, marking @ 62 and Pass error @ 35. Count how many lob balls, clearances and long balls start showing up.

I wish I wasn't work -if not, i'd be all over this.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
Banned

Hutton's Arena

Here's another example of the CPU Soho playing a long ball over the top of my Spurs defense.

I'm playing a high line (Line height set at 65/65). The wickedly speedy Mane makes a killer run into space by my RB the Dierwolf. The CM spots this run and launches a long ball over the top of my helpless D.

Now the thing I really like is the poor 1st touch by Mane, which gives my D enough time to recover and eliminate the threat. This is a good example IMO of the CPU recognizing a long ball opportunity, using it, and my defense being able to recover.

I went a little less drastic on the tactical width, I set both my Spurs & Soho at 15. Soho ended up winning 2-nil on a headed Pelle goal off of a short cross in the box. Mane banged home a volley from the top of the box, I screwed up on defense because I forgot I had switched to legacy defending and pressed RB to try to get help lol. Totally my fault & Mane banged in a nice shot.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 0

tried some settings based on what you guys have posted, changed west hams custom tactics to passing 100 build up speed 100 and width to 5

played them on world class default sliders and they finally did some long passing but these were mostly made from the last third of the pitch into the box they also seemed to cross alot more from the byline instead of dribbling back and forth.nice find! i think you lot might be able to unlock it so to speak I cant do much in the way of suggesting settings but i will keep testing any posted and other variations if thats any help CM will be so much better with teams playing different ways
Old 10-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #39
Banned

Hutton's Arena

Okay here is a few examples of West Ham CPU playing some realistically entertaining football.

First you see them play the long ball across the field and over the top of my defensive back line. My LB Rose is tracking the inside runner, leaving the long ball open. The second thing you see is that once the CPU collects & gains control they look to cross from the byline instead of dribbling/passing short.

And here's a nice example of the CPU playing a dangerous ground through ball. The MF receives a pass, makes a dribble cut back move and looks to immediately slot in a killer through ball. My defenders read the play nicely and squeeze off the attacker, taking possession of the ball. Nice CPU pass and equally good defending.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Getting better and better, Hutton! Looking forward to more videos. I'll be home in about an hour - could post what exacltly you have modified (tactics or sliders, or both). I saw in the tactics thread, but want to make sure.

Great work!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »