Home

A Case For Women's Soccer in Video Games

This is a discussion on A Case For Women's Soccer in Video Games within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: A Case For Women's Soccer in Video Games

Go woke....Go broke
Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Rookie

ToughJuice's Arena

A case for the FC Dallas Under-15s soccer team in video games.
Its the Olympics. People 'care' for a few hours every 4 years. Weak virtue signaling.

Last edited by ToughJuice; 07-31-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: size
Old 07-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
Rookie

There is offering a difference of opinion and there are the two posts above this. One is discussion, the other is what one might see in the comments section on youtube.

Congrats!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
Using the Women's World Cup Final is not a good example of viewership for women's soccer. *For one reason, it's a uS national team in a final . People will watch that whatever the sport is just because it's our national team. *Another reason is if our national team wasn't in the final, do you think it would get even half the views it got in this country? *I hate to say it but women athletes will never sell videogames because the target audience for sports videogames doesn't watch women's sports. *I guarantee you if EA made a stand alone MLS game and a Women's World Cup game, the MLS game would sell more.*
People dont watch the US basketball team when they play in their version of the world cup. People didnt watch the US baseball team in the Olympics when it was a Olympic sport. The US Women's team in the world cup crushes the ratings of the US hockey team in the Olympics. I could name 20 other national team sports that dont get a fraction of the women's team's ratings.

Also the US women's team was getting great ratings well before the final.

I dont agree that its time for a women's game but using popularity and the reasons you used is a bad one and doesnt stand up to facts.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Just a reminder that there's disagreeing and then there's doing that weird thing where it's immediately called white knighting or just dropping one-line garbage that's teetering on the edge of just being something you see on a MRA forum.

There's good discussion so far, but also some bad stuff that may be moderated and shouldn't be mistaken for not being allowed to "have an opinion" on the topic if it is moderated.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
maybe they should release a game every 4 years then as a special edition.

the girls market for gaming has increased, and they arent just playing cutesy games.

My daughter games, and she likes sports games. and her question in regards to NBA2k, MLB The Show, is where are the girls in the game.

she plays golf games, she plays Super Mega Baseball because of this. we created her as a pitcher in SMB2.

and I thought it was just her, but its all of her friends, they game. from sports games to shooters.

I just think sports leagues, and organizations in general does a poor job marketing women's sports in general, unless its gymnastics or ice skating and Tennis.

for example If I wanted to increase WNBA viewership, Id maybe do what the d2/d3 schools do. schedule a woman's and mens game on the same day. Have the NY liberty play a 5 oclock game then have the Knicks play at 8. give a discounted price of admission for the 2 games. not sure if they do this yet.
I think both these are generally my main takeaways. I think there's a market that's growing, but companies are sadly risk-adverse in this area, and so I think starting slower probably is the best way to see it get into more games. I really don't have a doubt that a standalone World Cup game that involves both fully fleshed out women's and men's divisions would sell better than one or the other on its own. That being said, obviously it's a little tricky when the years don't coincide and so one is always going to be out of date. Also if they're just a year apart in happening, in the case you split it up into two games, then maybe one is eating the other's market share to an extent when it comes out the second year.

Either way, as to your bolded point about marketing, NBA Live for example put WNBA teams and players in the game, but then you were super limited what you could do with them -- even with online play. The same goes for the Women's World Cup stuff. It's not really fair to the organization if you're not giving it a chance to gain popularity or a chance to be played more in your current game because then it's artificially going to hurt the metrics when you look at where people are spending their time in the game. Regardless of how much you "love" a woman's sport, you're not going to play the one in video games as much as you would otherwise if it's not actually as fleshed out as the men's portion.

So it's not even just a standalone game issue, it's a feature problem as well. The World Cup as a whole is underutilized by EA right now, and the women's aspect is just another element of that.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #15
Rookie

I played a tournament as the U.S. women's team in FIFA, don't see the need to make a game just for that. I wouldn't buy it when I can just play as team in my FIFA game i already have. As others have said, make a baseball game or a generic collage football and basketball game, those i would buy in a heartbeat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

It’s fine how it is IMO, a free DLC.

Women’s footy isn’t popular enough worldwide to warrant a standalone game or even a DLC with full qualifying. A lot of the teams in this most recent WC were fielding semi-pro, even amateur players. That would be a nightmare to try and license.

EA definitely needs to step up their World Cup offerings but they need to acquire more international licenses first and because most major tournaments are two years apart there might be enough interest to offer fully licensed national sides annually.

I have to wonder if the USWNT wasn’t as good as they are would people care as much? I say no but that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »