Home

NHL/AHL Strategy Sites?

This is a discussion on NHL/AHL Strategy Sites? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33
NHL/AHL Strategy Sites?

Since the AI is so good in this game, and they learn tendencies and strategies...any websites out there that detail hockey strategy for us casual fans?

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: NHL/AHL Strategy Sites?

I'd like to know this, too. Can anyone provide a few basic tips on when to use different plays or defenses, when to use the saucer pass instead of the regular pass, etc.? Or point me to a site that might have this? I love this game but it's very challenging for those of us who haven't played a lot of console hockey before.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I just started scoring- I think if you use the points and pass D to D, it gets the cpu ai moving around a bit, it gets your guy open in the slot.

my money move is passing back to the point, pass d to d a couple times, then down low to a winger along the wall, then a quick pass in the slot, for a one-timer.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Rookie

Fraserburn's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
I'd like to know this, too. Can anyone provide a few basic tips on when to use different plays or defenses, when to use the saucer pass instead of the regular pass, etc.? Or point me to a site that might have this? I love this game but it's very challenging for those of us who haven't played a lot of console hockey before.
well for starters you only need to use a saucer if you have to get it over an opposing players stick. Its highly unreliable and SLOW. I'd only use it if you are trying to go across box (player with the pick is on the side boards in the offensive zone and he wants to pass it to the slot past a defender)
or if you are leaving your zone and you have a guy close to you but with a defender in the way. for the most part its best to stick with the regular pass

I find myself thinking of the same ways to help you with NHL 08 that I do when i'm teaching the Hockey Team that I coach

IF you could get more specific with your questions i'd be happy to answer
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn
I find myself thinking of the same ways to help you with NHL 08 that I do when i'm teaching the Hockey Team that I coach

I'm thinking about offensive strategy and the stuff the game gives you between periods. I know cycling, but what about offense from deep in the zone? From the circle?

Game help on "D" would be nice too...when to poke, when to check, and what the grab button does and when to use that (can't recall the actual name).

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn
well for starters you only need to use a saucer if you have to get it over an opposing players stick. Its highly unreliable and SLOW. I'd only use it if you are trying to go across box (player with the pick is on the side boards in the offensive zone and he wants to pass it to the slot past a defender)
or if you are leaving your zone and you have a guy close to you but with a defender in the way. for the most part its best to stick with the regular pass

Thanks for the tip on the saucer pass. I guess I want to know if there is any strategy to using the different basic offenses and defenses that are cycled by pushing the X and B buttons. I sometimes push the button to change plays or defenses without really knowing if that's a good strategy against what the CPU is doing.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

I need basic help... what is cycling? is that just passing the puck around the offensive zone?

On "D" should you guard a zone on the ice or try to man up another player?

Hockey is the sport that I know the least about strategy wise.

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbeast
I need basic help... what is cycling? is that just passing the puck around the offensive zone?
A strategy based on protecting and moving the puck along the boards in the offensive zone. Forwards "cycle" the puck to each other by kicking it or passing it along the boards, or by leaving it behind when they are checked by a defending player. An effective cycle will tire defenders and bring them out of position, freeing up a forward for a scoring chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »