Home

OBG checking in to shake things up...

This is a discussion on OBG checking in to shake things up... within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
OBG checking in to shake things up...

Hello guys...got back around to the library to get updated on the state of our most anticipated release of the year, NHL 12. But before I get into the hockey part of the post, let me say something.

Not all, maybe not even most, but a larger than desireable portion of the posters on this forum are nothing but whiny little babies who simply cannot be satisfied. I swear, the woman of your dreams could be dropped into bed with you and you'd find something to complain about. It's irritating, pathetic, and disgraceful.

These are video games. For what they are, they do a splendid job of simulating the game of hockey which-if you didn't know-is probably the toughest sport in the world to replicate.

Bottom line, if you want the most perfect skating engine and real time physics...strap on some skates and go play the game for yourself. Since you won't, try to find something to be happy about. Hell, we're fortunate enough to live in a time such as this, where we are able to enjoy these games. Try to appreciate it to some f'ing extent.

Onto the game (NHL 12)...

I'm glad to see that the presentation has received some attention. The supposed player specific highlight reels during the game will add a bit to the experience.

While trying to rush through my 3rd season (without simming) in NHL 11, there are some other presentation flaws I'd really like to see dealt with this year. I really hope they got around to this.

First of all, I know that despite the fact that my beloved Blues made the playoffs 25 straight seasons while struggling to make it the last 5 years or so, they aren't exactly a high profile team. However, if I am 2nd in the Western Conference and just beat the Red Wings (who are in last) 4-3, I really don't want to hear the announcers talk about how the game was a 'battle of the bottom dwellers' and the weaker team won, etc. This just kills the moment. Thankfully, I have tough skin and have just learned to grit my teeth and ignore it. But, it happens all the time.

Also, don't have the announcers talking about how the Blues will open in Sweden against the Wings...that was three years ago!!!

This is just one area of the presentation that needs work. Maybe over the next year, I'll write a guide with some ideas for EA to consider. My hopes are fading that they will ever truly go 'all-out' on this issue.

I'll definitely be there on day one for NHL 12 as I loved NHL 11, which is perhaps the best hockey game of all-time. Although, you'd think it was a pile of crap judging by many posts on this forum.

If nothing else, NHL 12 will be the most organic title we've ever seen, and it certainly won't hurt to see Sid and Ovechkin on the scoring leader boards for once, eh?

Also a bit stunned on the legends announcement. WTF?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: OBG checking in to shake things up...

if ever i will get the NHL 12.... im going to look forward to your sliders. its your sliders (with simple adjustment for my liking) made me play this nhl 11 in my 3rd year as well. no..i havent won the SC...
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

So anyone who finds fault with the game is a "whiny baby"? Wow.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
I would assume OBG means that there's a lot of negative posting going on even when we don't know the facts yet. For example the Legends thread has more than a few, "Oh my God, this is totally useless!" replies. Okay, sure, people are entitled to their opinions, especially when they're basing it on... Oh wait, on absolutely nothing since we only have a short clip that doesn't show anything. Don't get me wrong, criticism is fine but whining gets boring. Imo we've been seeing a lot more of the latter and it doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion.

Anyway, back onto topic. I'm really looking forward to the presentation changes too, the highlight changes and additions are going to add a lot to my enjoyment of NHL12, with the new sim engine and the highlights it stores only adding to that. Now if we only had highlights from around the league! Oh well, maybe in NHL13.

I know I'll buy the game on day 1 but still, it'd be nice to see more gameplay videos. At least we'll have the demo soon. I remember NHL11's demo being the thing that made the game a must buy for me. Let's hope this years demo feels just as good.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Certainly not to me, Flyer.

NHL is the only sports game I choose to play. So obviously I'm a big fan of the series. But it does have it's faults, and they most certainly deserve to be talked about on our board.

For those who choose to constantly bash the game, are certainly no more helpful than those who blindly defend it, imo. Personally...I really don't see very much of either on our board. I believe we should welcome all opinions here. As long as their not meant to be hurtful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace

I'll definitely be there on day one for NHL 12 as I loved NHL 11, which is perhaps the best hockey game of all-time. Although, you'd think it was a pile of crap judging by many posts on this forum.

If nothing else, NHL 12 will be the most organic title we've ever seen, and it certainly won't hurt to see Sid and Ovechkin on the scoring leader boards for once, eh?

Also a bit stunned on the legends announcement. WTF?
I loved NHL 11, purely for the fact that you could score wristers without mangling the sliders heavily in the human's favour. I liked the grittiness of the game, even if the "no two hits are the same" hype wasn't exactly true.
As an overall package, it was better than 10.

However, I think a lot of the criticism revolved around two things.

The game didn't make a big leap from 10 in presentation. Losing center-ice licenses, the same old 3 stars anims, the same commentary, player likenesses wildly off in many cases... it effectively went backwards. Graphically and aurally, the game hasn't progressed much in 3 years. 08 looks looks almost identical and sounds almost identical to 11.

Online. I don't play online much, but there always seemed to be something wrong. Glitch goals are never going to go away. Expect them again this year.

There's a lot of stuff this year that could have a big impact on gameplay, heaven knows how the goal crease mayhem is going to cross over to online play, but I'm pretty sure this year will be an improvement if not a complete overhaul. That's the one thing about the NHL series for me, the game always gets a little better each year and that's something you can't necessarily say about other sports franchises.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
I would assume OBG means that there's a lot of negative posting going on even when we don't know the facts yet. For example the Legends thread has more than a few, "Oh my God, this is totally useless!" replies. Okay, sure, people are entitled to their opinions, especially when they're basing it on... Oh wait, on absolutely nothing since we only have a short clip that doesn't show anything. Don't get me wrong, criticism is fine but whining gets boring. Imo we've been seeing a lot more of the latter and it doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion.

Anyway, back onto topic. I'm really looking forward to the presentation changes too, the highlight changes and additions are going to add a lot to my enjoyment of NHL12, with the new sim engine and the highlights it stores only adding to that. Now if we only had highlights from around the league! Oh well, maybe in NHL13.

I know I'll buy the game on day 1 but still, it'd be nice to see more gameplay videos. At least we'll have the demo soon. I remember NHL11's demo being the thing that made the game a must buy for me. Let's hope this years demo feels just as good.
I don't think the legends thread is a fair example to use, they hyped it up as a big announcement that is going to forever change the series and then all they tell you is there are going to be some legends put in the game. I think many people are simply frustrated and disappointed that the huge announcement is something minor (to them).
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Banned

Hal Fowler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew514
I don't think the legends thread is a fair example to use, they hyped it up as a big announcement that is going to forever change the series and then all they tell you is there are going to be some legends put in the game. I think many people are simply frustrated and disappointed that the huge announcement is something minor (to them).
Yeah, but there is also that "Skipping NHL 12" thread. You'd think that NHL 09, 10, and 11 were crap games that got consistently worse from the posters there. Instead, I really appreciate the modest upgrades that were made in each version.

And the anticipation AI, the enhanced physics that will take size into account and the front of the net battles all point to nice solid improvements to the game if they come to work well. But to read the threads, all they added was breaking glass, goalie fights, and geezers. Yet they claim they are just making constructive criticisms, when they are actually ignoring reality.

Last edited by Hal Fowler; 08-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »