Home

NHL 12 Musings of Unknown Origins

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Musings of Unknown Origins within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NHL 12 Musings of Unknown Origins

So I'm not doing the review for NHL 12, so I don't want this to be too official or anything, but I just figured I'll use this as my thoughts/info thread.

Ultimate Team notes

EASHL and this mode are closest to my heart, so I have to start here.

Once you get welcomed back into the fold, you receive an initial allotment of EA Pucks (you buy stuff with these) depending on how much you played HUT last year. I received over 25,000 pucks (I played this mode a TON last year so that's probably on the high end of things if the pucks are weighted by time played etc.)

I also received an EA Season Ticket pack of cards, a Demo Tourney pack of cards for beating the tourney in the demo, a Welcome Back pack, and there's also a Draft/FA pack, which you can pick one of. I wonder if the Draft/FA pack will stick around this year because I believe these beginning-of-the-month packs sort of vanished as the year went on (although it's possible I just didn't notice them).

Basically, I feel a little more prepared to start a team because of these initial bonuses. A couple other things that immediately stick out is the Consumables you can hold onto has been up from (I believe it was 50 last year) to 80, most likely to incorporate the injury cards. The cards themselves have also been re-designed obviously, but I think it's a bit harder to pick out the "rare" and "legend" cards from the regular cards on first glance.

The prices for card packs are the same, and the new additions to these packs are the "stars of the week and legends" that will be available. The stars of the week will be players who tear it up in real life and therefore get limited-edition versions of them added to the NHL 12 HUT mode. As for legends, I actually did get a Salming in one of my first packs, but the servers reset and so he's gone and I had to re-buy everything -- don't read too far into this in terms of losing your cards, it's just because I'm playing the game so early I'm sure they are still tweaking and resetting the servers before launch.

Be a Pro

Just wanted to point out a couple specifics here:

-Your player's name, weight and bio is transferred over from NHL 11.

-It is just great being able to set all six positions now. EVERYTHING is adjustable besides your name and I think hometown. So weight, height, handedness, your number, your attributes, your equipment, etc. can all be changed depending on the position you play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 12 Musings of Unknown Origins

Have you tried any trading in GM mode yet? I know some people complained that it was too unrealistic in NHL11. I'm just hoping they didn't take it too far in the opposite direction. Trading is one of my favorite activities in GM mode.

One last question: Do we have the option to disable "autosave", or are we stuck with it like we were in NHL11?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Rookie

JsMcbain's Arena

OVR: 5
Icon14 Re: NHL 12 Musings of Unknown Origins

I love HUT, played a lot.

So I could expect:

Initial Pack
Season Ticket Pack
Demo tourney winner Pack
Welcome back Pack
Draft/FA Pack
Close to 25k pucks

Wasn't there supposed to be a pack also if we send invites for the demo?

Anyway... that will help jump start my team!

Thanks for the good news,

Js
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

How is the name database?
In The Show, you could spell your name however you wanted, but then choose a name from the DB for it's pronunciation. Is that possible in NHL12?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

wow 25k... I played a bit last year too. So I expect the same but does not seem fair fairly new players to the mode.. And why would they have a legend pack? So basically teams are just going to be full of legends? I was hoping it was going to be a really rare thing.. :/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMcbain
I love HUT, played a lot.

So I could expect:

Initial Pack
Season Ticket Pack
Demo tourney winner Pack
Welcome back Pack
Draft/FA Pack
Close to 25k pucks

Wasn't there supposed to be a pack also if we send invites for the demo?

Anyway... that will help jump start my team!

Thanks for the good news,

Js
I'm not sure, but I didn't send invites so I wouldn't know either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
How is the name database?
In The Show, you could spell your name however you wanted, but then choose a name from the DB for it's pronunciation. Is that possible in NHL12?
Couldn't you do that last year? My BaP I named Charalate, but the announcer called him Chara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglory
wow 25k... I played a bit last year too. So I expect the same but does not seem fair fairly new players to the mode.. And why would they have a legend pack? So basically teams are just going to be full of legends? I was hoping it was going to be a really rare thing.. :/
I didn't get too many amazing cards even after buying the jumbo packs and whatever. Certainly veterans will get a bit of a start, but there is a salary cap and all that so it still comes down to that.

And I believe you're misunderstanding about legends. You can find legends in the packs of cards, but there is no specific legends pack.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Another HUT note is there are collection rewards if you complete a whole roster of players. These rewards seem like mostly like small coin values, but it still gives some incentive to collect the cards.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Another HUT note is there are collection rewards if you complete a whole roster of players. These rewards seem like mostly like small coin values, but it still gives some incentive to collect the cards.
What's the name of your HUT, Chase?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »