Home

NHL 14 Demo Feedback For Developers

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Demo Feedback For Developers within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Exclamation NHL 14 Demo Feedback For Developers

The NHL 14 demo is available now for 360 users (queue it up here at 1.46 GB) and later today for PS3 users. We will update this post when it arrives. The NHL 14 demo details can be found here.

Similar to how "LuGer33" (at the EA Forums) has things setup, we think it is a good idea to manage the NHL 14 demo feedback for the developers.

Follow the format below so the other developers can quickly and easily gauge the community for tuning, before or after the launch of the full retail game on September 10th.

1) Be respectful and constructive with all responses
2) The demo is based on an older build of the game and may not be representative of the final product.
3) Online games are played at "All-Star, Normal" skill level and gamestyle, so be sure to play on those settings if you want to gauge how effective poke-checking will be online, whether or not a particular move is too effective on goalies, whether or not goalies are too strong, too soft, etc.

---

What I Like About the NHL 14 Demo
(1)
(2)
(3)

What I Want to See Improved or Changed
(1)
(2)
(3)

Possible Bugs / Glitches
(1)
(2)
(3)

----

If you encounter any "money goals," please record the move, upload an unlisted video to YouTube, then send a PM a moderator with the link to the video along with a detailed description of the goal (e.g., how it's done, how successful is it, why you think it's a money goal, and so on). You can also upload highlights to EA SPORTS World as well.

Off-topic, disrespectful, and otherwise disruptive posts will be removed and the user will be banned.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 14 Demo Feedback For Developers

1.) Love the "feel of the new engine"
2.) Arena Music is much better "mix" Reverb sounds natural for an arena setting.
3.) Fight mechanics are vastly improved.

1.) Five Hole desperately needs to be "tightened up" on slapshots
2.) Goalie stick side high from the slot. still a sweet spot for shooters.
2.) While fight engine rocks. Fight "stats" need to be addressed. Very few "little guys are going to throw down with a "wall" like Chara. "Discipline" needs to be tweaked in regards to fighting. In a 0-0 tie in the third period you are far less likely to see 2 top liners on the same team take 5 minute majors where it would be much more realistic to see more fights in a 4-0 butt whooping. Played 10 demo games so far and Chara has gotten a 5 min major for fighting
in EVERY game.

Great first impression. Hopefully these tweaks make sense to the devs and get addressed. As others have said "NHL '94 mode" was way overhyped. Focus on the core gameplay and franchise/career modes more please.

Last edited by budc; 08-20-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

I played 6 periods of play now and two full HUT tournaments so far and I have to say that I loved how the game felt. I played on Hardcore Simulation. However, it's still way too early to be able to have a good judgement on the game.

What I Like About the NHL 14 Demo:
- Hitting: more realistic, with accidental contacts and some big hits.
- Skating: more fluid, pivoting is better and strafing is a great addition.
- Passing: more responsive, cycling and team play are better, one-timers too.
- Fighting: so much fun.

What I Want to See Improved or Changed:
- No penalties for shooting or hitting after the wistle, which always starts a fight. It will get abused.
- Even if they are fun, fights happen way too often in the demo. And we should always have the choice to start or decline a fight.
- Faceoff spamming is still possible.
- Game pace is too fast.
- Goalies rebound control is still not that good.

To me, the main problem with NHL 13 was superhuman goalies, so I'll have to play more games with 14 to see if goalies were tuned down enough. So far, it seems better, but I may even have to wait for the real game to make a final idea. I'm also not sure that I like the changes made to poke checks, I will have to play more games for this too.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 08-21-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

1) Watch any NHL game that's ever been played. Notice how all players on the ice behave after a goal is scored. Put that into the game.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks

Last edited by gopher_guy; 08-21-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy

1) Watch any NHL game that's ever been played. Notice how all players on the ice players behave after a goal is scored. Put that into the game.
still no team celebration after the goal
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Mongo14's Arena

OVR: 2

1.) Ability to turn a fight down when offered. I don't like how after every big hit you have to fight. In modes like Live The Life, say a player who hits but doesn't want to fight hits a player and is then forced to fight. Let me turn it down or even draw a penalty from the aggressor

2.) Fight Instigators. I'm pretty sure that if there is a huge hit in the game and a player skates across the ice with his gloves off to fight would get the 2 for instigating as well. If my player will get the 2 for just moving a little bit to challenge, then the rink long skate towards a guy with his gloves off should get the 2 as well
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Rookie

aparks87's Arena

OVR: 3

-
Realistic Net Tension. For some reason, every goal you score (in the history of NHL video games) where the puck hits twine, there's an invisible force in the back of the net that makes the puck drop straight down. Havent the Devs watched a game where a scorching wrister and or bomb one-timer hits the back of the net and pops right back out? Why...because the actual netting on the goals is tightly fastened. Scoring is such a major and satisfying part of the game. You guys take pride in realism and make this game so awesome every year...but this is a small detail that has been overlooked for years that could go a long way.....It would make those sweet goals THAT more satisfying for die-hard NHL fans. Great Demo nonetheless.

Thanks,

-AP
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparks87

-
Realistic Net Tension. For some reason, every goal you score (in the history of NHL video games) where the puck hits twine, there's an invisible force in the back of the net that makes the puck drop straight down. Havent the Devs watched a game where a scorching wrister and or bomb one-timer hits the back of the net and pops right back out? Why...because the actual netting on the goals is tightly fastened. Scoring is such a major and satisfying part of the game. You guys take pride in realism and make this game so awesome every year...but this is a small detail that has been overlooked for years that could go a long way.....It would make those sweet goals THAT more satisfying for die-hard NHL fans. Great Demo nonetheless.

Thanks,

-AP
I thought I was weird for wanting that small feature in these games; glad I'm not the only one

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »