Home

Speed setting for game play

This is a discussion on Speed setting for game play within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2023, 12:22 AM   #17
Rookie

doorknobb's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Speed setting for game play

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's an interesting take, care to elaborate?
I write code but I don't code games so it could very well just be how I interpret the design of the game, just to caveat that up front, but to me it feels like the game, like pretty much any sports game that allows you to pick the length of periods/quarters/halves, is scaled from a point of reference and for this series, it feels like in thirds, just across the board. I don't think this is necessarily news, but it's also hard to put a finger on the exact "tells" since it's just how the game tends to play. To me at least it feels like how the CPU plays a game with 7 minute periods is distinct from the way it plays an 8 minute period and far more distinct than between 6 and 7 or 8 and 9. I have a hard time putting my finger down on the specifics since it kind of is the whole thing, but if you play a franchise season with 7 minute periods and one with 8 minute periods, it becomes obvious pretty quickly. This affects everything from how much urgency it perceives to the amount of risks it is willing to take to everything else that's based on the clock. Sorry that it's not something more specific but there's a pretty noticeable difference that just is kind of a bigger thing than just one or two things, it feels a bit like a different game mode.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #18
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I'll try my next game today on 8 minute periods just to see if I notice a difference.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:26 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 2

i play seven minutes also, i’ll try 8 today too

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-24-2023, 07:06 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

I've been trying to get the game to play like I had it last year at 10 minutes but I couldn't get close. Went to 8 and I swear it was like everything just fell into place 😀. Probably placebo but I almost gave up and now am pretty satisfied on how it's playing.
NFL- Lions
NBA -Pistons
ECHL - Toledo Walleyes
NCAA- Toledo Rockets
AAA - Toledo Mud Hens
Old 10-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #21
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

I played 1 game on 1/6 speed, 8 minutes, Superstar, 15 hitting power and it was fantastic, Blues (me) beat Vancouver, 3-1.

Shot totals were a tad high but the game play was excellent. I'm still working on penalties and getting the shot totals down a bit, but I need more games and testing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2023, 04:50 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

I'm close to getting it to play how I want and I'd love to get going on my season but I'm going to have to wait until the first patch. I'm worried they will make some adjustments that are good and bad that will affect things in a way I'll have to adjust to again. Hopefully hitting will be greatly adjusted. I like a lot of it, especially how cross checking is actually called and looks legit sometimes. I don't like how some of the hits seem to go the wrong way and look extremely unnatural as far as momentum and don't remember that being the case last year. For me speed at 2 is working pretty well. 0-1 just feels like being stuck in mud. It's been tough to get the shot totals right as the AI seems to be more aggressive with taking shots as opposed to last year. I generally like to play 10 minutes but I'm happy enough at 8. I also use player lock, alternating positions every game except for goalie.
NFL- Lions
NBA -Pistons
ECHL - Toledo Walleyes
NCAA- Toledo Rockets
AAA - Toledo Mud Hens

Last edited by kazjason; 10-25-2023 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added relative content
Old 10-25-2023, 11:43 PM   #23
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

I think with 8 minutes, 1/6 speed setting isn't going to get me the shot totals I want, so I either will have to mess with the skating speed sliders, go back to 7 minutes or I think I'll try 0/6 speed in my next game just to see what it feels like.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:53 AM   #24
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

0/6 speed setting/7 minutes/10 hitting power - seems pretty good to me

I've never played on 0 game speed before this year.

Now if I could get penalties to a proper place (globally), I'd be all set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »