Home

Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation

This is a discussion on Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 AM   #17
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation

Devils advocate here. Can you do that same test, not all, but partial, with attribute effect at 6 (or whatever it is, 3 they play at attribute, 6 attributes are exaggerated, 0 attributes are equal).

Great video. I agree with everything here but now lets see if those sliders make a difference as they say they do.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #18
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Devils advocate here. Can you do that same test, not all, but partial, with attribute effect at 6 (or whatever it is, 3 they play at attribute, 6 attributes are exaggerated, 0 attributes are equal).

Great video. I agree with everything here but now lets see if those sliders make a difference as they say they do.
Would be interesting to see, but for the purposes of this video it was to show that HUT is sham, pretty much. As is online in general, in terms of how every player is the same with their abilities.

All that hyping that EA does about player packs and spending money and it all boils down to this. And this mode will be the driving force and future of sports video games, awesome.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #19
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3

This would be very interesting.

Like others have already said, it's sad that we didn't think last gen was good enough at separating player differences. Little did we know next gen was way worse and to really top it all off it's unfixable with the fact you can't edit players. Just unbelievable really. I'd really like to know what goes on at the Vancouver office with this game. Are these developers helping on several games, or are they actually solely focused on NHL? How many hours do they work? How many people work on this game? Etc. It would just be nice to know why this game is never improved. For me it would at least put some closure to the game, and I could just accept the facts. It's just a crappy feeling having so many unanswered questions and knowing they won't ever be answered.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 AM   #20
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Icon14 Re: Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation

Follow-up video!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:43 AM   #21
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Wow. He's right, in pretty much every point that he makes. And the people arguing with him are seemingly just trying to justify their spent money.

To take his video even one step further; look at the goaltenders in those modes he is using. They are different goalies, yet move exactly the same! The move the same on the one-on-one practice mode, and they move the same in the versus mode when the puck carrier is coming out of the corner.

Also, and I have mentioned this a few times before, look at how awful the versus gameplay is when you set down the controller. Nobody on the opposing team will come and attack the puck carrier if you are in certain spots. And even your own teammate is clueless as to where to go without the puck. In both examples the defense is stuck skating into the corner boards as the puck carrier breaks-out from behind his own goal line.

I don't mean to come off as abrasive after everything we have been though, or divide this site anymore than we already are, but I keep coming back to one question. How can anyone defend this stuff as being "hockey"?

I truly wish that I had the time to do a YouTube channel and record my online games and then break them down with analysis and commentary to point out all of the glaring flaws and stupidity that occurs in the average game. I took the time to make a 10+ page thread detailing everything that I see, but it just doesn't do enough to really drive it home like a well-made video does, apparently.

I get a text nearly everyday from a buddy or two that I used to play club with saying how they wished that there was a hockey game out. Or how they would even consider buying this crappy game if we could have all played together somehow. They watch the playoff games and feel a void missing in their lives because they can't go and play NHL like they had for the last 5+ years.

I'm fairly certain a lot of the features we complained about will find their way back in for '16, but I am also fairly certain that a lot of these legacy issues will still be as prevalent as ever. And it was those issues that really made the past 3-4 editions of the NHL game just awful in our minds. At the end of the day it is just depressing to know that this is what we are stuck with. And what really hurt even worse... the fact that some of us thought that we might be given the opportunity to get inside of those walls in Vancouver and make a difference for the better, for all of us. But we were left outside in the cold, watching helplessly as those spots were stolen away from us. And now we are stuck begging for scraps of information and knowledge with absolutely no way of getting our messages back to anyone that makes a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #22
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Wow. He's right, in pretty much every point that he makes. And the people arguing with him are seemingly just trying to justify their spent money.

To take his video even one step further; look at the goaltenders in those modes he is using. They are different goalies, yet move exactly the same! The move the same on the one-on-one practice mode, and they move the same in the versus mode when the puck carrier is coming out of the corner.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-backhand.html

Yup. Another area the game is not realistic.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #23
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
This would be very interesting.

Like others have already said, it's sad that we didn't think last gen was good enough at separating player differences. Little did we know next gen was way worse and to really top it all off it's unfixable with the fact you can't edit players. Just unbelievable really. I'd really like to know what goes on at the Vancouver office with this game. Are these developers helping on several games, or are they actually solely focused on NHL? How many hours do they work? How many people work on this game? Etc. It would just be nice to know why this game is never improved. For me it would at least put some closure to the game, and I could just accept the facts. It's just a crappy feeling having so many unanswered questions and knowing they won't ever be answered.
Take a look at their Twitter page. Literally every single post is about HUT cards. That is where all of their working hours go - HUT cards. I can't imagine how good the game would be if they spent all that time that they spend on HUT on fixing the gameplay/BaGM/EASHL.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

That video was pretty disheartening.
The good news is that tye old gen game had better separation. Which means the devs must have identified this issue at some point in previous gen versions.
But even then, the stickhandling, skating and agility were far too close when comparing the worlds best player and the NHL's worst.
John Scott's stickhandling should be in slow motion. Or at the very least, if you tries to deke super quick, he should lose the puck almost immediately.
As it stands now, there's no downside to carrying the puck, or attempting fancy moves with any player on the ice.
1st line, 4th line...it really doesn't matter. Go ahead and carry it into the zone and try to deke everyone out.

What's depressing is that even with video evidence I doubt EA does anything about it.
I'd really like to hear from a dev as to why they are adamant on keeping every player nearly the same.
My guess is that all the frat boys, or casual fans cry like babies anytime they can't pull of a toe-drag, spinnerama, top-shelf snipe with any and all players on the roster.
But even if that were the reason, "hardcore" should initiate massive changes to the gameplay so that there is a HUGE difference not only between player OV's but player types as well.
You would never consider sniping with Hemsky on a 2-on-1, just like you shouldn't do anything but chip and chase with a dummy like John Scott.

Last edited by Money99; 05-03-2015 at 11:21 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »