Home

I need some help with striking and/or understanding hitstuns

This is a discussion on I need some help with striking and/or understanding hitstuns within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
I need some help with striking and/or understanding hitstuns

I notice that the higher I get in both ranked and UT, the more and more I simply lose the striking exchanges, and I don't know why. I use combo's on my opponent and they don't seem to affect him, but when my opponent uses the exact same combos against me, 1 of 2 things happen:

• I get rooted in place, unable to move or block
  • I get blown back like I've been hit by a shotgun
The video below shows what I mean. We both have maxed standup, high lvl moves and perks, so it cannot be the statistical difference, but whenever we get into a trade, I lose (I get parried a few times too but I'll leave those out of the equation). This forces me to clinch and shoot for takedowns.

I really want to improve my striking and I regularly spar with good players, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and they can't tell me either. Then I get matched up against someone like Shegolenok, and even though we have the same stats he's able to push me around with every strike and able to land a 5 hit combo that knocks me out instantly.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

Re: I need some help with striking and/or understanding hitstuns

Oh boy, did that look familiar! This is exactly what happens to me. I struggle against guys like this so often but have made some progress just within the last week or so.

I believe, the basic problem is his combos are quicker than yours. You will frequently throw a hook or kick on the 2nd strike of your combo and those look slower and could be saved for strike 3 or 4. The uppercut is fast though as a 2nd strike and was working for you. He was using alot of combos starting with 2 or 3 quick strikes (unmodified jabs and crosses, or jab then rear body uppercut then lead body uppercuts) and they were interrupting your slower strikes. The final combo was 4 quick strikes with a headkick: Jab, body cross, body jab, rear body uppercut, head kick.

Also, this week I've been playing alot as Sage and noticed that since he doesn't have knees, he has these L2 body roundhouse kicks WITHOUT moving the left stick that are super fast and work great after a jab cross. I believe Kevin was using these kicks and rather well, I might add.

Your combos look pretty good though and I would guess they work pretty well against people who don't utilize this specific "Quick Combo" method.

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generative James
Oh boy, did that look familiar! This is exactly what happens to me. I struggle against guys like this so often but have made some progress just within the last week or so.

I believe, the basic problem is his combos are quicker than yours. You will frequently throw a hook or kick on the 2nd strike of your combo and those look slower and could be saved for strike 3 or 4. The uppercut is fast though as a 2nd strike and was working for you. He was using alot of combos starting with 2 or 3 quick strikes (unmodified jabs and crosses, or jab then rear body uppercut then lead body uppercuts) and they were interrupting your slower strikes. The final combo was 4 quick strikes with a headkick: Jab, body cross, body jab, rear body uppercut, head kick.

Also, this week I've been playing alot as Sage and noticed that since he doesn't have knees, he has these L2 body roundhouse kicks WITHOUT moving the left stick that are super fast and work great after a jab cross. I believe Kevin was using these kicks and rather well, I might add.

Your combos look pretty good though and I would guess they work pretty well against people who don't utilize this specific "Quick Combo" method.
I usually wanna keep my combos very short and concise, I almost always throw 2 or 3-hitters. For some reason I have trouble incorporating body jabs and straights into my combos, mostly because I think they're so stupid haha. I have only recently come to like body knees because they cover a lot of range and are hard to see coming for most people (also 5* Cowboy rear body knee and lvl 4 thai terror )

The reason I get parried so often is I think because I lead with the jab or straight so often, but when I try to throw them to the body I am almost always out of range
Old 12-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Rookie

Some NICE realistic combinations here ;-)
I see a lot of guys only throwing punches like its a boxing game.
THROW SOME KICKS guys

I also notice you press the block button a lot.
Dont know if this matters.
I mean even when you were far out of my range, you still block high.
Like in FIFA, keeping the RUN button pressed players drain stamina way more.

Btw: Good Fight Supreme_Bananas, NO cheese, No Spam No BS
Nice clean fight!!!

Last edited by kevinmastah; 12-27-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas

The reason I get parried so often is I think because I lead with the jab or straight so often, but when I try to throw them to the body I am almost always out of range

You already know the reason why you get parried.
I have this 2, sometimes the bodyshots wont register or connect.
Body straight will do, but Body hooks and body uppercuts sometimes wont connect even its in range. Dont know why this is.
But I encounter this problem 2 and it sucks.

Maybe some other players can help you out on this one.
Or see what you doing different.
I know our stats and perks are almost the same. So thats indd not the case.

Last edited by kevinmastah; 12-27-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmastah
You already know the reason why you get parried.
I have this 2, sometimes the bodyshots wont register or connect.
Body straight will do, but Body hooks and body uppercuts sometimes wont connect even its in range. Dont know why this is.
But I encounter this problem 2 and it sucks.

Maybe some other players can help you out on this one.
Or see what you doing different.
I know our stats and perks are almost the same. So thats indd not the case.
I do think parries are really stupid though -_- but I've already said enough about that in other threads
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #7
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
I notice that the higher I get in both ranked and UT, the more and more I simply lose the striking exchanges, and I don't know why. I use combo's on my opponent and they don't seem to affect him, but when my opponent uses the exact same combos against me, 1 of 2 things happen:

• I get rooted in place, unable to move or block
  • I get blown back like I've been hit by a shotgun
The video below shows what I mean. We both have maxed standup, high lvl moves and perks, so it cannot be the statistical difference, but whenever we get into a trade, I lose (I get parried a few times too but I'll leave those out of the equation). This forces me to clinch and shoot for takedowns.

I really want to improve my striking and I regularly spar with good players, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and they can't tell me either. Then I get matched up against someone like Shegolenok, and even though we have the same stats he's able to push me around with every strike and able to land a 5 hit combo that knocks me out instantly.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Because Shegolenok is a russian.... just a joke)

The answer is:
- hit stuns is Full body hit reaction
- FBHR is only caused by hitting with strike with more than 4 points dmg. Dmg points are listed for every strike in tables from GPD for UFC 1, Fkying knee for ex is nearly 3.
- this dmg is gained by CM or by Signature powerful strikes on counter
- low stamina caused more dmg receiving
> in your video yr final boosted by CM was blocked or yr setups to him was blocked so CM was resented to 0 from block.

Have you read my thread about FBHR? It has more details about the current Striking mechanics

Last edited by SUGATA; 12-28-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

I have never done a fight ever in UT and it's amazing how it's more speed than UFC fighter.Those stats are crazy, any chances if you dont have a cyborg too

We absolutely needed getting damage bonus after missing opponent parry but it's not the case. Cause of this, certain people always parry before throwing a shot and they are not affected by our shot just after their missing parry.

If all your fight are like this against him, it's because he is better than you.
But you have to use all the gameplay weapons at disposition like Parrys(not by spaming), combo multiplier...
Use mistake opponents to your advantage. In many case, after a opponent high kick stopped, you didnt attack him but it was an oppening.
Be more creative in your combo, be unpredictable, if you wanted hardly to take him to the ground, you have a lot of option to gain GA like attempt after your suceed combo or after a dodging opponent high kick.
Footwork is important too, a lot of moving for dodge opponent strikes and frustrate him. You will frustrate a parry spamer only by footwork, he waiting for you your strike, so dont strike, dont enter in his game.

Here my fights against Shegolonok who is only dangerous in grappling zone like the #1.

It's also by watching we getting better!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »