Home

Would this idea be fun or too realistic for a Universe mode?

This is a discussion on Would this idea be fun or too realistic for a Universe mode? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OVR: 0
Would this idea be fun or too realistic for a Universe mode?

This is a long shot since we don’t even know if we are getting anything close to a “Universe” and just some franchise development. But after looking at the aftermath of the last ppv, I was just wondering, if we had a nicely fleshed out Universe mode integrated with a career mode (preferably a full camp mode I’ve mentioned on a few occasions rather than solo career)...would people like to have medical suspensions after each event applied?

I was just thinking about this and felt like it would not only add an extra level of realism but will make you want to play more strategic than reckless. It would also be more rewarding for those fights you finish early so you could have the next fight sooner if wanted when trying to build up your fighter.

I feel like there’s so much that a properly done Universe mode could add to the game and how immersive it could be for the hardcore and offline crowd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Would this idea be fun or too realistic for a Universe mode?

Yes. For sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
This is a long shot since we don’t even know if we are getting anything close to a “Universe” and just some franchise development. But after looking at the aftermath of the last ppv, I was just wondering, if we had a nicely fleshed out Universe mode integrated with a career mode (preferably a full camp mode I’ve mentioned on a few occasions rather than solo career)...would people like to have medical suspensions after each event applied?

I was just thinking about this and felt like it would not only add an extra level of realism but will make you want to play more strategic than reckless. It would also be more rewarding for those fights you finish early so you could have the next fight sooner if wanted when trying to build up your fighter.

I feel like there’s so much that a properly done Universe mode could add to the game and how immersive it could be for the hardcore and offline crowd.
Brilliant idea. for me, like you said it will make me feel like im the actual fighter and will make me have more fun playing career mode.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
MVP

I'm not sure I'm a fan, it sounds a bit too realistic. I guess I just can't imagine how it would work. Guys like Cerrone fight 5 times a year, how long of a suspension does he usually get? Bisping fought Gastelum 21 days after a brutal GSP fight. The idea of them potentially costing you a great opportunity sounds good but I think that's about the only pro. Unless you're talking about only a Camp mode, which would make things different I guess and it could work there. Still, I'm not sure it's needed.

Now, one thing that sounds great is returning back to action too soon, which would cause your stats and conditioning to suffer depending on your previous fight and how quickly you get back in the cage. This ties in with another thing that sounds great to me — stepping in on short notice. Again, you won't have a full training camp at your disposal, you likely won't be a 100% but stepping on short notice usually comes with some sort of incentive to do it — sometimes that could be a title shot.

The most important thing when implementing any of those things is that they shouldn't be scripted. Make the algorithms and let the game unfold around you. I like a good Story Mode in any game. A Career is not a Story Mode though. I want to be the one who makes the decisions and reaps the rewards or suffers from them. That includes moving between weight classes at will. For there to be things outside of my control, too. Not becoming a champion because that's part of the storyline and I have to complete its generic script. Make the world revolve around me and I'll see where I can get.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

They have this in WMMA5 and it adds a nice little extra layer of problem solving in your matchmaking. And I'm sure you could just have an on/off button in the settings.

But I don't see EA Spors throwing this in. most of the realistic damage aspect of the sport has been tuned down in every iteration. Doctor stoppages, savage cuts, ragdoll KOs, canvas puddles: all are gone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
I'm not sure I'm a fan, it sounds a bit too realistic. I guess I just can't imagine how it would work. Guys like Cerrone fight 5 times a year, how long of a suspension does he usually get? Bisping fought Gastelum 21 days after a brutal GSP fight. The idea of them potentially costing you a great opportunity sounds good but I think that's about the only pro. Unless you're talking about only a Camp mode, which would make things different I guess and it could work there. Still, I'm not sure it's needed.

Now, one thing that sounds great is returning back to action too soon, which would cause your stats and conditioning to suffer depending on your previous fight and how quickly you get back in the cage. This ties in with another thing that sounds great to me — stepping in on short notice. Again, you won't have a full training camp at your disposal, you likely won't be a 100% but stepping on short notice usually comes with some sort of incentive to do it — sometimes that could be a title shot.

The most important thing when implementing any of those things is that they shouldn't be scripted. Make the algorithms and let the game unfold around you. I like a good Story Mode in any game. A Career is not a Story Mode though. I want to be the one who makes the decisions and reaps the rewards or suffers from them. That includes moving between weight classes at will. For there to be things outside of my control, too. Not becoming a champion because that's part of the storyline and I have to complete its generic script. Make the world revolve around me and I'll see where I can get.

Yes, I agree it’s not an idea built for solo career. Not many people are gonna want our lone fighter out of commission for months in a typical career mode. But if the idea of managing multiple fighters in a camp is produced, then it would work a lot better since you can just use the other fighters still. But definitely not a great addition to the career mode we have now without some kind of “universe” mode.

A camp management mode/universe can be very beneficial to this franchise imo.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
MVP

Red face Re: Would this idea be fun or too realistic for a Universe mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Yes, I agree it’s not an idea built for solo career. Not many people are gonna want our lone fighter out of commission for months in a typical career mode. But if the idea of managing multiple fighters in a camp is produced, then it would work a lot better since you can just use the other fighters still. But definitely not a great addition to the career mode we have now without some kind of “universe” mode.

A camp management mode/universe can be very beneficial to this franchise imo.
I know you're a big fan of the camp idea, I'm more of a solo career enthusiast though, so my suggestions are usually directed that way. I'm not saying I can't see certain pros in a potential Camp Mode but I'm not really as thrilled about it as you are, so I'm not sure if I can help advance this discussion further.

On a more positive note though, I agree with you that often the grappling timing logic is too reliant on pre-denials and it can feel artificial or weird. Especially given the Pro/Base discrepancy. That's for a different thread though.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
They have this in WMMA5 and it adds a nice little extra layer of problem solving in your matchmaking. And I'm sure you could just have an on/off button in the settings.

But I don't see EA Spors throwing this in. most of the realistic damage aspect of the sport has been tuned down in every iteration. Doctor stoppages, savage cuts, ragdoll KOs, canvas puddles: all are gone.
I think those are a bit different. Medical suspension/injuries wont likely have a visual component so I could see EA adding those in.

Savage cuts and canvas puddles were removed because they dont want this to be an M rated game and visuals like that push it close to it. Ragdolls were toned down (too much according to this forum) because some of them were way over the top. IMO, Dr. stoppages arent in because of EA's focus on online players and them not wanting to lose for a reason "out of their control".

With that said, I dont see medical suspensions in a first version of the mode. I want it but im keeping expectations low.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »