Home

basic suggestions on presentation

This is a discussion on basic suggestions on presentation within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
basic suggestions on presentation

I want to preface this critique of the mediocre presentation of this game, by stating that I really do like this game and have put a decent amount of hours into mostly single player, but also 2 player offline. While it's not perfect it's a decent representation of the sport but there are some pretty basic presentation options that I think would increase the immersion of the game below.

I love how you guys put "the little things" thread together in MLB the Show because there are so many subtle nuances added that it really feels like you are watching a baseball game unfold.

Here are some things that I think would be cool if added/tweaked:

1) the actual start of the fight with the ref in the middle and the option to showboat before the fight starts is terrible imo. I feel like they should pan to each fighter quickly pacing or stretching , or just doing what they normally do before they're about to fight. It's very gamey and a huge step back from what used to be shown - make it like the real thing.

2) The cut scenes in between rounds have no life to them. Show a guy stagger to the stool when he's rocked at the end of the round. Or a pep talk for a guy who just got dominated in a round. Stress the fatigue on the gassed fighter. There's so many things they could do with those scenes.

3) The R1 modifier is strictly the overhand right. Yes most fighters will uncork it once in a while but how about making it a little personal for specific fighters.

I could see Ngannou throwing that huge bolo uppercut with it. Or how about how Rampage has that ducking/rolling hook he throws? Mix in a really unique power straight that some fighters excel at. It's just a wasted opportunity to make the fighters more unique instead of a cookie cutter move set.

4) The ground and pound . .. why on earth were the elbows removed? It was so satisfying to open a huge cut by pounding away with huge elbows. It feels so less impactful the way punches are thrown from the upright positions.

5)Knockouts. The homerun in baseball, the kick return for a td in football .. . the most exciting ending you could hope for at the end of a fight. I really appreciate the ragdolls added in, it adds some variety however they could be more dramatic. How about the occasional mouth piece flying out? How about focusing on the fighter who just got laid out, sitting there stunned a bit or staying down on the real nasty ones.

And the replays on the knockouts are one of the worst parts of the game. 3 fast clips, sometimes from terrible angles and they end abruptly. They should be longer from each angle and they SHOULD HAVE A REPLAY CAMERA! Let us break down some things that happened during the fight or watch that awesome knockout in slow mo from the angle we want to see it in. I just can't emphasize enough how disappointing the knockout replays are.

6)Even the decisions, you can tell pretty much every fight which fighter won due to the animations before the announcement. Lame - give us some suspense.

I know it's been discussed on here to death about the comparison from UD3 and the EA Ufc titles but I think that UD3 was way ahead of EA on presentation. They had a lot of "the little things" that I think made the game more believable.

I'm going to add onto this list. Please critique it and if you have presentation ideas that garner positive feedback, I'll add them to the list. This thread is about the presentation and the things that could make the fighters more unique, add to the soul of the game and really uptick the immersion factor. There are plenty of balancing threads and moveset threads but I haven't seen too many like this.

I hope the devs glance at it - make this solid game really stand out with some tweaking. Thanks for reading
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: basic suggestions on presentation

It's a super nice touch being able to choose whether we wanna wave to the crowd or beat our chest at the start of a fight, but it's so out of place being done after the ref asks if we're ready. We should be able to do that bit of showboating when we're being introduced by name like in real life.

I'm also finding that in the menus where we are looking at moves there's no animation as i cycle thru. Generally thats ok but when i'm looking at certain takedowns or reversals i sometimes struggle picturing what the text is trying to tell me.

I don't know if this has been fixed or not already, but my cafs always walk to the cage shirtless, but if I add a UFC shirt for the walkout they end up wearing it thru the fight too.

I forget which Fight Night it was, 2 maybe 3, where you got to work on your fighter in between rounds with an endswell or working a cut. If you manually did it you'd get more of a re-coup than if you just skipped the option. Imagine being able to do that alongside some fight specific advice. Pretty cool sounding if u ask me.

Oh, this has been happening a bit more frequently lately...when i have back mount the command to posture up or get up is RS up. I find myself pausing once i take the back sometimes now because if i take the back and try to posture quick, i sometimes get the "get up" option before the "posture up". I assume which command i get first is dependent on what the AI is doing....its just frustrating that by no fault of my own (like how shooting for a td when i try and throw a big body shot is on me and how long i hold the input) im giving up a really dominant position. Maybe get up in that position should have a co-inciding bumper input like the other get up positions.

Last edited by Irish0331; 01-05-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yes I really liked the cutman in fight night. It was a cool little mini game. I know none of this will be added this go around but maybe next game they could add to the presentation. I'll add some other things I thought of later on

Last edited by wyrm187; 01-06-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
1) the actual start of the fight with the ref in the middle and the option to showboat before the fight starts is terrible imo.

This. It's literaly the first thing a new player sees, and quite frankly, it looks like a circus or a freakshow. The dumb animations the AI or online players use, the ref being superawkward, the lack of staredown/glove touch. It's a horrible sight and several people are just going to hard pass on the game, just like that.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
1) the actual start of the fight with the ref in the middle and the option to showboat before the fight starts is terrible imo. I feel like they should pan to each fighter quickly pacing or stretching , or just doing what they normally do before they're about to fight. It's very gamey and a huge step back from what used to be shown - make it like the real thing.
Completely agree, but they obviously don't want to include the entire introduction sequence, hence why it no longer exists in the game. Most people just want to skip past it, so I don't blame them for taking it out, however, at the same time, the devs obviously are intent on having the showboating/emotes play out before a fight, since they're hoping people will be spending money on them. If they were in the intros, and people were skipping the intros, then suddenly they seem redundant to include in the first place. So we end up in this weird in-between state where we can use these cool animations, but unfortunately, they're used in a completely out of place time. It would be cool if they could somehow switch it up for offline play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
having the showboating/emotes play out before a fight, since they're hoping people will be spending money on them.

That is not such a strange idea and I can see myself spending a couple of bucks on some cosmetics, but the problem is that 90% of the animations seem... Fortniteish? I know a lot of 12yo's that think those are funny and cool, but I don't know of any that play EA UFC... It's completely out of place. The only thing they are good for is that, in career, the AI fighters use them, and I am that little more motivated to beat the sh/t out of them for being so stupid.

I didn't even spend my 1000 credits yet that came with the game, because out of all there is there's just not enough interesting stuff. I got a mask and the ear protectors with long hair, and basically equip all CaF's with default UFC gear. That is just sad.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
Pro

LarsP's Arena

Presentation and immersion in general have been ignored every single EA UFC game. Seriously, this year's UI looks like some Intro to Graphic Design community college project. On top of that they had to remove shorts selection because it wasn't compatible, let that sink in.

Also the way these emotes are implemented (before and after the fight) is so shockingly bad, it looks like something that made it into the final product on accident.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Between rounds when they show the round highlights and then it cuts to the fighter sitting down. That has always bothered me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »