Home

Striking tips after patch?

This is a discussion on Striking tips after patch? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Striking tips after patch?

I used to be able to beat almost anyone with my striking. After this patch there are people I beat before who I literally can NOT beat now when it comes to striking. I seem to always get caught with combos and can never land combos of my own. Any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Striking tips after patch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeba1000
I used to be able to beat almost anyone with my striking. After this patch there are people I beat before who I literally can NOT beat now when it comes to striking. I seem to always get caught with combos and can never land combos of my own. Any advice?

Learn to rely on your block more. You can tank shots and cause people to gas. You can no longer run at people throwing combos because you will gas out and do no damage.

Don’t throw anything until your stamina completely replenishes. It recovers slower now, so you have to give it time or you’ll gas out.

The game is now all about mixing up your strikes to different areas to set up the other. Pick either the legs or body and hit them to make the guard go low.

If someone is still trying to pressure you. Back up and hold block and mix in some blocking head movement now and then. Fire the rear straight to intercept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Focus more on pokes (fighting game term for single strikes) instead of combinations. When you watch great players like Ed or Romero its the pokes and pauses that do everything.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Learn to rely on your block more. You can tank shots and cause people to gas. You can no longer run at people throwing combos because you will gas out and do no damage.

Don’t throw anything until your stamina completely replenishes. It recovers slower now, so you have to give it time or you’ll gas out.

The game is now all about mixing up your strikes to different areas to set up the other. Pick either the legs or body and hit them to make the guard go low.

If someone is still trying to pressure you. Back up and hold block and mix in some blocking head movement now and then. Fire the rear straight to intercept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That makes a lot of sense. I'm mainly losing when I'm trying to be the aggressor. I also didn't realize block got buffed. If someone is backing up a lot and holding body block what would you throw?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granbyroll
Focus more on pokes (fighting game term for single strikes) instead of combinations. When you watch great players like Ed or Romero its the pokes and pauses that do everything.
I've been trying to change the number of strikes I throw quite a bit. I'll try throwing more single shots!

Last edited by xtremeba1000; 01-27-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #6
Rookie

I’m finding success staying on the outside. Countering isn’t quite where it needs to be but this new patch definitely encourages it.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #7
Rookie

I think the stamina recovery between rounds is still a bit much. It seems to go down a lot faster during the round but it shoots back up in the next round a good 25-30% roughly. This is with me throwing around 80-85 strikes while they throw 120 plus and landing around the same number of strikes or even landing more.

Body shots don’t seem to help a lot still. It’s still worth doing for the damage and getting the opponent to lower their block so you can land more to the head but doesn’t do much for stamina. Making them miss is still the best way to lower their stamina.

The biggest change is the block. Like retracted said, you can rely on it a little more now without it being broken down. It goes the other way if you’re the one pressing and trying to get through it.

I’ve found by shortening my combos and sticking mostly to 2 strike combos rather than using more 3 or 4 strike combos helps both in offence and defence. For defence, because you can get frame trapped more easily after throwing longer combos and it’s easier to throw again more quickly after 1 or 2 strikes. The same goes for offence in a similar way, especially after you’ve thrown the first combo they will usually back off, throw back at you or start moving their head since the block will be down so you can reset easier after 1 or 2 strikes. A lot of the time you don’t need the 3rd strike unless they’re backed up near the cage and have nowhere to go.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Pro

So I realized I hadn't learned a lot of the kick controls like hook kick, side kick to knee, and side kick to the body. It was so easy to side step them before I never thought I would need them. After this patch I can fight how I did on UFC 3 where I throw a lot of different strikes and constantly confuse my opponent.

What I've noticed is you can REALLY rely on block. So you HAVE to mix up your strikes or you won't land anything. I have absolutely murdered all my opponents since learning some new strikes and getting super creative at what I throw. I've been landing a crazy amount of calf kicks and side kicks to the leg and when their legs are damaged I can finally land punches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »