Home

EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk10
Feel exactly the same. Having fun but this game could have been so much more.

Really need to cutdown on how easy it is to sweep people. Also need to tune stamina for someone blocking transitions or transitioning from the bottom. They should be working hard to get someone off of them or from advancing position.

Play on real 5 min rds then tell me stamina doesn't SEVERLY impact sweeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I have the game now and I have mixed feelings about EA's effort. Again, I think it would involve a much deeper conversation about how EA approaches their titles, especially ones they have exclusivity to.

For myself, this game feels a lot less tactical and technical and more like Street Fighter meets UFC. The Street Fighter reference might be a bit much but it's all I can think of right now at the moment. What I want in an MMA game is to feel rewarded for being a smart fighter, not because I can repeatedly cartwheel kick someone into a knock out. I want to feel that feeling out phase that happens in real MMA fights. Sure that doesn't happen in every fight, but it seems to never happen here when playing against the CPU. I feel like all of my wins are cheap. Sure CPU might have me on the ground and I might reverse it and submit my opponent but what I mean is I want to feel rewarded for going in with a strategy and utilizing not only my fighter's strengths but also my opponent's weaknesses. I just don't get that feeling from this game. This doesn't really feel like MMA to me.. it feels like a more arcadey high paced kickboxing game that lets you take the fight to the ground.

The graphics are great and they will only get better. The sound is ok I guess. I applaud them for at least getting some of the real licensed tracks that some of the fighters walk out to (DMX with Silva for example).

So lets talk about the ground game. On default level, reversals come way too easy. When you kick the difficulty up its almost too extreme on the other end. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Also with the ground game, when I'm on top of someone and I've beat them to a pulp and delivered that knock out blow, there is no ref coming in to pull me off the dude. Some people might think this is a small thing, but when the ref is just in the ring to check the "make sure the ref is in the game" box and that's all he's there for. That whole feeling of the ref pulling you off a knocked out opponent is non-existent so when it happens you just feel like the game itself (not the ref) stepped in. Speaking of beating the tar out of someone while on the ground, it would have been nice to see the ref pull someone off when you have swarmed them and they can no longer effectively defend themselves. With this game, if you're not defending yourself, there's no ref to step in and stop the fight, you just eventually get KO'ed. So again, I really have no idea why the ref is even in the game. I don't feel like I'm going to see the ref actually stop a fight. I dont mean someone hurt so bad that the fight is stopped out of the blue on dammage.. but I mean the ref truly stepping in while someone's getting beat down and stopping it. THIS is a big deal... its so much part of the atmosphere of a game like this..and I don't think it's there.

I cannot comment on career mode because I have only played several solo fights. Cant comment about online yet either.

Yes I bought the game, and I don't regret buying it either, granted this is relevant to home much disposable income you have. I'm in my 30's with a career so the pain of 60.00 for this game doesnt sting as much. Also I bought the game more because I'm a HUGE MMA and UFC fan and I knew this would be the only game in town (pardon the pun) on next gen. Also there still is a lack of titles in the PS4's and XB1's libary so some people will buy this game just to help fill a void until say the next Madden or something comes out.

Overall I have to give them game a 6.5.. maybe a 7 after I feel what multiplayer is like but I don't see myself going past 7 on this year's effort. It will be interesting to see what EA does with the game in the future. Will they truly invest the time and effort into bringing out the gameplay intricasies of MMA in this title. I'm sure its easier to develop a more arcadey game (requires less figuring out of the gameplay details) and slap an Octagon around it with a UFC logo on it. I guess only time will tell.
Casual fans will love this game. Simulation fans probably mixed. Casual fans don't care if the refs come to help the poor dude that just got knocked out on the ground. Simulation fans want to see the refs step in to create a sort of realism. Casual fans love the online mode. Simulation fans love the Career mode. You get the idea....basically there are two TYPES of fans out there and the ratings of this game will reflect on those two views.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Used a wider variety of fighters and played a lot more single player matches. Refined my feedback a bit.

Pros:
- Contrary to what some believed, not everyone has the same moves. This is a huge relief. Not everyone has off the cage moves.
- Love how they weaved scenes from the show into career move mode.
- Meant to be played in non-accelerated mode. "Long term" stamina works out much better there. Strike volume statistics will be high though but I can overlook that.

Cons:
- Still got to say that sweep from full guard bottom to full mount top was a bad design choice. When I have Mark Hunt sweeping Werdum, that's a problem. It's a minor transition too so not sure if they can remove it for some fighters but keep it for others.
- In the move list it looks like they did intend to give power takedowns only to some fighters. However everyone ended up getting it.
- AI:
- Ground fighters should go for more takedowns. Tune that up.
- Why are fighters who are superior on the ground standing up from dominant positions?
- Same issue as in Undisputed 3. Why are fighters with incredible guard trying to push off and stand back up against a guy who has no ground game?
- AI doesn't take advantage of me spamming L3 at least on hard.
- Not sure if Machida's (and other unique fighter styles) AI is done properly. Still wondering if there is even an MMAI. AI needs to leverage their perks better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdandy
Used a wider variety of fighters and played a lot more single player matches. Refined my feedback a bit.

Pros:
- Contrary to what some believed, not everyone has the same moves. This is a huge relief. Not everyone has off the cage moves.
- Meant to be played in non-accelerated mode. "Long term" stamina works out much better there. Strike volume statistics will be high though but I can overlook that.

Cons:
- Still got to say that sweep from full guard bottom to full mount top was a bad design choice. When I have Mark Hunt sweeping Werdum, that's a problem. It's a minor transition too so not sure if they can remove it for some fighters but keep it for others.
- In the move list it looks like they did intend to give power takedowns only to some fighters. However everyone ended up getting it.
- AI:
- Why are fighters who are superior on the ground standing up from dominant positions?
- Same issue as in Undisputed 3. Why are fighters with incredible guard trying to push off and stand back up against a guy who has no ground game?
- Not sure if Machida's (and other unique fighter styles) AI is done properly. Still wondering if there is even an MMAI. AI needs to leverage their perks better.
Are you seeing decisions with real time clock as well?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #37
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I am not sure how to embed videos on OS. I am just copying the link from the Twitch site hoping it works.

I got a five round UD win over Davis. 48-47 x2 and 49-46

In the fifth round something kind of weird happened, if you look, Davis kinda got frozen on the ground or something, I wasn't sure what to do...

Eh, the embed video isn't working. Here is a link

http://www.twitch.tv/thejarebear/b/539383327

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 06-17-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdandy

Pros:

Cons:

- AI:

I agree with just about all. I honestly believe there is NO SUCH THING AS MMAi.... or...it just never made it into the game and was more of a hype "technology" that will be in the next game 2yrs from now.

Because if it is in the game.... It's terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #39
Pro

cake612's Arena

OVR: 9

I just finished playing through an online season and ended up winning my white belt, I think it was 9 fights. The progression system is the same as Fifa or NHL HUT but with colored belts instead of trophies. Online play has been just about flawless for me. Some minor slowdown in one fight I think but it only lasted for a moment. Otherwise no real lag spikes or anything like that, very encouraging it's like this day one.

In general if you just hold R2 (on PS4) and defend the first couple takedown attempts usually it's a standup brawl which I like. I've had success with takedowns as well so if you mix it up you'll do fine, hardly any submission attempts but I'm not all that comfortable with that system yet. Most guys just came at me guns blazing and I just blocked till they had no stamina and went for headshots. I also lost a couple by decision, one I thought I should have had and one was legit. Bruce Lee stinks, I've faced him 3 times and knocked him out in the first round every fight.

Haven't touched the single player besides the mandatory tutorial and a bunch of the demo but online has been really fun so far. It seems like if you just try and spam punches your screwed if you face somebody who knows how to block. Plus if they have no stamina and attempt takedowns their super easy to defend. You do end up chasing guys a little bit but my style is to look for the knockout first anyways and if your comfortable with the ground system you can probably do very well.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #40
MVP

SwedishTouch76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Online is kind of easy so far. Most people have no takedown defense or gorund game. They just try to spam power shots.
Giddyup. Not that im a good player but I love ground and pounding spammers. Is it true you can't see who your opponent picked in ranked. I assume if I play ww lw or fw its 90% Bruce Lee?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »