Home

EA UFC 3 - Arcade or Sim?

This is a discussion on EA UFC 3 - Arcade or Sim? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
Rookie

TheSouthpaw's Arena

OVR: 0
EA UFC 3 - Arcade or Sim?

If you had the power to decide EA UFC 3's style of gameplay what would you choose to do?
Would you make it an arcade game, a true mma sim or a combination of both?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
Rookie

TheSouthpaw's Arena

Re: EA UFC 3 - Arcade or Sim?

I would go for a true sim.

Why?

Reason 1 - There are a million arcade fighters out already like StreetFighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Injustice, Marvel vs Capcom, Virtual Fighter, DOA.... If someone is looking for an arcade fighter, those games are simply better (balance, fan base, AI, flashy moves, etc.)

Reason 2 - Why purchase exclusive rights to the marquee organization in the sport (to eliminate competition) and make a game that could be confused for arcadey type of game (which creates competition). Branding the game as a true mma sim puts the franchise in its own unique category, even if someone isn't a big UFC fan there is the appeal of it being a fight simulator.

Reason 3 - Casual Fans might be ignorant but they're not stupid. I tried to get a couple of my friends into the game, the type that watch the occasional MMA fight but are not martial artists themselves, even they noticed the "cheese" immediately.

What reason does a casual gamer have to play a UFC game over another flashier, faster-paced, more established fighting game? Aside from realism or a fondness for a certain fighter, there is really no reason at all for a casual fan to get into the game. Especially not a game that's as much trouble to learn as EA UFC 2.

Needless after a few matches, they wanted to play something else and they've never played EA UFC 2 since.

_-------------

I would love to know the results from the in-game survey EA UFC had and if it backs up this stance.

Last edited by TheSouthpaw; 05-07-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
Rookie

A combination of both, with more emphasis on sim.

Reason 1: An attempt at a pure sim would likely just drive away the non-hardcore players. I also don't think it would make for good gameplay.

Reason 2: If I buy a game titled UFC, then I want something that makes an attempt at realistically representing that. EA UFC 2 doesn't really accomplish that.

Reason 3: Same as your reason 3. None of the friends I've shown this to liked it at all and it all came down to the very design decisions that were seemingly put in place for them: they hated the unrealistic damage, the lack of danger and the goofy moves like the tornado kicks and what not.

It doesn't matter though. There is no way the devs didn't hear the complaints from EA UFC 1 and EA UFC 2 is more arcadey than EA UFC 1 and - in my opinion - a worse game for it. I can't see any indication that EA UFC 3 will not just continue down this arcadey path the series is already on. If they were going to push it in the other direction they'd have made an attempt with this sequel.

I bought the first two on day one, but EA UFC 2 was one of the biggest gaming let downs I've ever experienced. Really wish I could love it, but I never even got engaged with it as much as I did EA UFC 1. I'll definitely be waiting a bit when EA UFC 3 comes out and it'll take some massive overhauls for me to even give it a chance.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Rookie

info0's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden

I bought the first two on day one, but EA UFC 2 was one of the biggest gaming let downs I've ever experienced. Really wish I could love it, but I never even got engaged with it as much as I did EA UFC 1. I'll definitely be waiting a bit when EA UFC 3 comes out and it'll take some massive overhauls for me to even give it a chance.
Regarding this. How will you know if the game is any good? There was no DEMO for UFC2 what so ever. Also can't trust people on YouTube. Bought it after it being overhyped and regret it now. Wasted 60E on it and as it is digital copy, I can't refund it, so basically you're stuck with **** game .

Gaming on consoles sucks much more than on PC. On PC if there is no demo, you can just download the full game, test it out, buy it. Wish devs brought out DEMOS of full game, before we buy it, but seeing that games are rushed for release nowadays, it won't happen. It's hit/miss stuff.

Oh and lets not talk about reviews. Those are hilarious and outrageous most of the times. The reviewers are PAID to give certain games high ratings...

Regarding OP:

Mix of both would be the best option to have. That's what made PES great back in PS2 era .
Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Banned

drinklime's Arena

fight night 4 was pretty sim and it was fantastic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Rookie

TheSouthpaw's Arena

Quote:
Reason 3: Same as your reason 3. None of the friends I've shown this to liked it at all and it all came down to the very design decisions that were seemingly put in place for them: they hated the unrealistic damage, the lack of danger and the goofy moves like the tornado kicks and what not.
Yea, it's pretty ironic that the features put in the game for the casuals are the ones they dislike the most.

Like you said, there's no indication that the next game will change it arcadey ways but I hope it does.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
MVP

SwedishTouch76's Arena

At this point I probably won't support these guys for a 3rd go around. Obviously I'd vote sim and clearly that isn't happening.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
A combination of both, with more emphasis on sim.

Reason 1: An attempt at a pure sim would likely just drive away the non-hardcore players. I also don't think it would make for good gameplay.

Reason 2: If I buy a game titled UFC, then I want something that makes an attempt at realistically representing that. EA UFC 2 doesn't really accomplish that.

It doesn't matter though. There is no way the devs didn't hear the complaints from EA UFC 1 and EA UFC 2 is more arcadey than EA UFC 1 and - in my opinion - a worse game for it. I can't see any indication that EA UFC 3 will not just continue down this arcadey path the series is already on. If they were going to push it in the other direction they'd have made an attempt with this sequel.

For me it isn't just with friends. I myself am not playing the game at all for like a month now....I just can't get over all the small issues that this game has, while not making up for it with awesome, finished and polished features/modes.

I litterally played 5 matches with friends before they threw in the towel. The damage system, KO mode without damage( nobody likes the point system) and bugs made them want to play Rocket Leagea just a hell lot more!(for a game which doesn't have much to offer, but what it offers is fantastic!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »