Home

Who are the Game changers?

This is a discussion on Who are the Game changers? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #25
Banned

drinklime's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Who are the Game changers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
When you add a ton of new mechanics and features into a game. It is bound to have more imbalances, bugs, and exploits.
But it was Tekken when you got there? It shouldn't be Tekken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
The ground is actually where I gave most of my input.
GPD, Solid and myself sat at his desk for hours going through each position, myself looking for realism while Solid was looking for balance.

The clinch as well as the stand up was in a very bad place before GC feedback. I guess you can either trust what Im saying(because I was there and experienced it) or continue with your blind assumptions.
Idk what blind assumptions your talking about, if it was just u and solid there with GPD working ground then I'm guessing the rest of the GC's were working on the stand up portion, which is the worst part of the game, I mean every punch thrown looks like it's dislocating the fighters shoulder, and the KO's look like over exaggerated shotgun blast to the chest, and to hear it was that much worse before u guys got there just diminishes my hope even more. But if me expressing an opinion gets ppl all worked up, I'll just keep them to myself from now on.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #27
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinklime
It was an early build.

My entire point is that we were able to point out and find imbalances and exploits much faster than they would have originally.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #28
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
First off, hi there.

I see AHolbert and ZHunter have already addressed most of the OP, but I feel personally compelled to respond as well.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't been as active on OS as I was on the original forums. You could say that I've been a little demoralized that the trolls, in a sense, triumphed. I enjoyed Yari's posts and the guy self-banned himself from the old forum. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the regulars from the old forum aside from the trolls.

So I've been slower to acclimate here since I see our departure from the old forums as a kind of displacement, a forced exodus that none of us really wanted. Don't get me wrong. I like it here. Most of the posts I've seen have been constructive and (gasp) coherent. The mods have been very welcoming and awesome to us.

As far as our roles in the game dev process and what we actually did, it's frankly too much to list, and I don't say that in some kind of hyperbolic, self-congratulatory way. Everyone contributed. Basically, the game was REALLY imbalanced when we got there. You could body flurry someone across the cage like Tekken and they couldn't block it. Some tactics were USELESS (jabs and straights). The ground momentum feature was pretty much entirely a product of conversations ZHunter and Solid had with GPD. The strike intercept was largely a product of a conversation between me, GPD, and Brian Hayes. The moveset adjustments via the patches were largely a product of our input, and more are coming. Aholbert has given a ton of input toward AI refinement that is still ongoing. Many of the perks you see in-game are a result of our input (not all, but some).

Some of the stuff we wanted, the devs either decided against or couldn't do because of limited resources. MTS wanted lots of stuff in that would've required brand new mocap. I personally wanted normal clock as default instead of accelerated for example, but a dev explained that they had done research and most people preferred accelerated. We honestly wanted the straight to be more powerful than it is right now. Each buff to the straight was extremely incremental, which is understandable, and ultimately the straight is in a good place, but it's not where we really wanted it.

Point being, it's not like we are in there giving the devs marching orders, pointing fingers and telling them what to do, all while we dine on endless free pizza. We're bouncing ideas off them and creating reasoned arguments for why certain elements of the game should change in one direction or another -- much as we did in our forum posts. They can (and do) offer reasoned counter-arguments. Compromises are often made. To hold the Game Changers 100% responsible is frankly stupid. And to be honest, holding the devs 100% responsible for the game is also stupid because they have a limited budget, timeline, and hardware spec to work with.
man that sounds scary I'm glad you guys helped them out with some of those issues lol
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #29
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeekliss
Idk what blind assumptions your talking about, if it was just u and solid there with GPD working ground then I'm guessing the rest of the GC's were working on the stand up portion, which is the worst part of the game, I mean every punch thrown looks like it's dislocating the fighters shoulder, and the KO's look like over exaggerated shotgun blast to the chest, and to hear it was that much worse before u guys got there just diminishes my hope even more. But if me expressing an opinion gets ppl all worked up, I'll just keep them to myself from now on.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Uneducated opinions get us riled up. The fact that you think assumed/guessed that the other GCers worked on the standup is a blind assumption. You have no idea what we did during those visits. So instead of guessing, you could just ask "what did the other gamechangers do?"

The Gcers also didnt "work" on the game (My apologies if I used that term). I'd describe it more as consulting. We gave input on every part of the game. From AI to striking to grappling to modes to UT.

We have no control over whether the devs listen to anything we suggest. We have no control over how animations look. We have no control over game mechanics.

Thankfully the devs did listen to many of our suggestions and I believe those made the game better. But there were a bunch of suggestions that the devs didnt do and they had legitimate reasons why they didnt.

If you have no hope that the game will improve and cant provide constructive criticism than I have no problem with you keeping your opinion to yourself. Hopefully, the next game will make you happy.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinklime
He didnt say it was Tekken. He said that body flurries caused a Tekken like reaction. The issue was body rocks were too easy in the first build and people could get caught in a chain of body rocks if someone flurried. Keep in mind this is 7 mos before release.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #31
Banned

drinklime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Uneducated opinions get us riled up. The fact that you think assumed/guessed that the other GCers worked on the standup is a blind assumption. You have no idea what we did during those visits. So instead of guessing, you could just ask "what did the other gamechangers do?"

The Gcers also didnt "work" on the game (My apologies if I used that term). I'd describe it more as consulting. We gave input on every part of the game. From AI to striking to grappling to modes to UT.

We have no control over whether the devs listen to anything we suggest. We have no control over how animations look. We have no control over game mechanics.

Thankfully the devs did listen to many of our suggestions and I believe those made the game better. But there were a bunch of suggestions that the devs didnt do and they had legitimate reasons why they didnt.

If you have no hope that the game will improve and cant provide constructive criticism than I have no problem with you keeping your opinion to yourself. Hopefully, the next game will make you happy.
Consulting is serious work. Software consultants in Vancouver are paid over $80 an hour.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #32
EA Game Changer

KidShowtime's Arena

OVR: 4

Just to add to what Zombie, Zack & Aaron have said...

I was chosen to join the group due to my work with the NHL series and my previous experience in doing the same consulting for EA MMA.

I understand OP's issue; GameChangers aren't seemingly doing a 'good job' because there aren't many discussions being brought up publicly on the forums. From OP's perspective, I can see how that would indicate a 'lack of communication'.

However, there is a CONSTANT stream of conversation between the GameChangers and the development team almost 24/7. Most of those internal discussions are sparked by the comments made on these very forums. The problem is, we are bound by NDA's and cannot discuss the changes and gameplay adjustments being made by the very suggestions brought up on these forums.

There have been instances where a bug or an issue has been brought up on the forums and re-created via the Game Changers - which was then communicated directly to the Dev team and then subsequently fixed in patches/tuners. This happens every day - but it's not like we can come to the forums and detail these discussions.

In short: The REAL work of the Gamechangers group is to help the development team find, recreate and come up with solutions to issues found by the group itself - or the online community. It's not about creating 'good forum posts'. It's about taking the ideas and concerns from the community, and giving the development team an educated perspective from the view of a hardcore gamer.

And if I can be frank and echo what Zombie mentioned in his post - the trolling has taken its toll on all of us, when it comes to interacting on the Forums. The move to OS has lightened things up a bit, but we still see the immaturity of the MMA Gaming community show it's ugly face from time to time, and it's hard to motivate yourself to contribute to open discussions when you're faced with some members who just want to troll.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »