Home

Stand up, a hot mess.

This is a discussion on Stand up, a hot mess. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Rookie

Webbington's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stand up, a hot mess.

Am I the only one who feels like the ground game still needs just as much work as the stand up?

I mean, I'm not arguing that the stand up needs work, but I feel that, even though the ground game is headed in the right direction from the last game, there's still a lot of room for improvement with it.

For example (one very minor example), not every fighter in the game should be able to transition from full guard to backsitting in one transition. I know it's easy to deny, but literally every fighter in the game has this transition, and I challenge anyone to point out 3 UFC fights where anyone has ever done it. The only fight I can think of off the top of my head where it happened was in the second round of BJ/Hughes 2. Aside from that I can't think of any other examples. It just isn't something that happens in MMA, so maybe don't remove the transition but at least only give it to a few specific fighters with superb ground technique.

Lots of fighters ground stats need a serious nerf as well (Conor and Holm are great examples of this). In certain positions you can literally just spam transitions and not be finished (side control). Obviously you can transition to mount and finish from there, but it's still off. Mount could use a lot of work as well.

Also, it's impossible to arm trap people in a lot of the positions that you're allowed to arm trap in the game.

Just a few examples, but yeah, the ground game needs just as much work as the stand up IMO, if not more. To say that the stand up needs work but the ground game is fine is simply untrue in my experience.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Rookie

It has a lot of issues, but it's the best striking in an MMA game to date IMO.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #11
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaTO
It is, but it's issues mask what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaTO
Absolutely not. The striking and balance in THQ UFC3 on sim mode was much better than this. Sim mode was unbelievable and made that game fantastic but they did the most idiotic thing ever and made the causal mode ranked. Just made no sense and ruined the longevity of that game. This game looks better and the animations can look better but in that game you actually could perform what you set out to do and be successful mixing it up in different ways.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Absolutely not. The striking and balance in THQ UFC3 on sim mode was much better than this. Sim mode was unbelievable and made that game fantastic but they did the most idiotic thing ever and made the causal mode ranked. Just made no sense and ruined the longevity of that game. This game looks better and the animations can look better but in that game you actually could perform what you set out to do and be successful mixing it up in different ways.
Only in graphics and animations EA UFC 2 is better. THQ series is still superior in every other aspect! Miles in front of EA's.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbington
Am I the only one who feels like the ground game still needs just as much work as the stand up?

I mean, I'm not arguing that the stand up needs work, but I feel that, even though the ground game is headed in the right direction from the last game, there's still a lot of room for improvement with it.

For example (one very minor example), not every fighter in the game should be able to transition from full guard to backsitting in one transition. I know it's easy to deny, but literally every fighter in the game has this transition, and I challenge anyone to point out 3 UFC fights where anyone has ever done it. The only fight I can think of off the top of my head where it happened was in the second round of BJ/Hughes 2. Aside from that I can't think of any other examples. It just isn't something that happens in MMA, so maybe don't remove the transition but at least only give it to a few specific fighters with superb ground technique.

Lots of fighters ground stats need a serious nerf as well (Conor and Holm are great examples of this). In certain positions you can literally just spam transitions and not be finished (side control). Obviously you can transition to mount and finish from there, but it's still off. Mount could use a lot of work as well.

Also, it's impossible to arm trap people in a lot of the positions that you're allowed to arm trap in the game.

Just a few examples, but yeah, the ground game needs just as much work as the stand up IMO, if not more. To say that the stand up needs work but the ground game is fine is simply untrue in my experience.
You are more talking about movesets and stats thugh and not the actual grappling system itself. When it comes to the grappling system, it's the most realistic one in an mma game ever period. GPD gets big props for this one. But I agree with what your saying though...it's obvious these guys don't know how to handle movesets at all. Nothing is really unique to certain fighters or fighter types. Like why does the whole roster seem like experts off their back with everyone having this transition from guard to back sitting? It shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't see Cain Velasquez going from guard to back sitting like he is some bjj expert. I mean I know the guy is a black belt, but he isn't that type of fighter. If anything transition to back side for all directions would be more suitable for his type. But yh these kind of things need to be more unique. The guys at EA don't know how to handle movesets and it's very clear they need help in this area.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

Stand-up is good, i enjoy it a lot. Muay-thai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMVWcByWWI Boxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Bceesk-W0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Rookie

Webbington's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
You are more talking about movesets and stats thugh and not the actual grappling system itself. When it comes to the grappling system, it's the most realistic one in an mma game ever period. GPD gets big props for this one. But I agree with what your saying though...it's obvious these guys don't know how to handle movesets at all. Nothing is really unique to certain fighters or fighter types. Like why does the whole roster seem like experts off their back with everyone having this transition from guard to back sitting? It shouldn't be that way. I shouldn't see Cain Velasquez going from guard to back sitting like he is some bjj expert. I mean I know the guy is a black belt, but he isn't that type of fighter. If anything transition to back side for all directions would be more suitable for his type. But yh these kind of things need to be more unique. The guys at EA don't know how to handle movesets and it's very clear they need help in this area.
They just need to hire an expert, hardcore MMA fan/wizard like myself to help them out with that

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »