Home

Bring back turtle tax!

This is a discussion on Bring back turtle tax! within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should they bring back the "Turtle tax"
Hell Yeah! 12 50.00%
Fu*k No! 6 25.00%
Yes to some degree. 6 25.00%
Who care Devs won't do it, game is broken 5 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Bring back turtle tax!

Lots of interesting thoughts on this topic, and one I believe THQ and EA have grappled with for years as far as creating something resembling realistic, while trying to remain fun and enjoyable for casual players.

True, mma gloves do not provide shell protection like boxing gloves. So this needs to be addressed if the developers agree it is a problem. However, I do hope the answer is not arbitrary penalties like stamina drain which varies for no realistic reason. For example, while it's annoying, holding block and backing up straight doesn't really cause more stamina drain than blocking and side-stepping, so I think there must be a better and more intuitive system. This is a video game, but I'd like everything to remain rooted the real world. No lazy quick fixes.

What would be nice is for more variables to go into the striking element of the game. The problem now is high block is too effective. On the other hand, you don't want a game where fighters can't effectively block, sway, and parry yet are still standing after multiple head kicks and punches. If the game were kept exactly as it is today but high block were suddenly far less effective there would no longer be whatever balance there is between different styles. I'd never grapple any more, it would make Lawler and McGregor even more OP than they already are.

I'd propose introducing emphasis on footwork. How? Angles, distance, and strike selection become the absolute ground zero. The offensive gamer needs to know how to throw the correct punch off the correct foot, at the exact distance in order to land on the chin or temple for a knockout. This would be called a perfect punch/kick (all elements needed were met). The fewer of those variables satisfied the less damage. For example, a low damage punch (which is probably a really damaging blow in the current game) might be a left hook (lead foot inside your opponents lead foot) thrown when movement was such that weight was planted on the back foot (no torque), with poor distance management so it hit the top of the head, or chest. If you use a more dynamic footwork system you can move just enough to land around high block (conversly this happens to also be a more sophistocated defensive model). Those of us in here who have competed at some level (or just know fight sports well) know that footwork is so incredibly crucial, it really should be the foundation of the striking system.

Being that I believe footwork should be the foundation of the striking game (the basis upon which angles, distance, and power are determined), I also think it helps solve for the stamina drain complaints. I agree with Lung444 above with regard to stamina and back-pedaling: your legs should pay the price over time if you are absorbing punches (even if blocked) while constantly back-pedaling. This is realistic, even the best boxers lose their footwork and movement (speed) as the fight wears on, and this becomes more pronounced if the backing up (or constantly circling) fighter is being crowded and harassed. Feet should slow for this reason along with leg damage and effective body work.

I'm not sure how realistic this game's arm damage is as it relates to blocking kicks and punches. Would love for developers to hear feedback on this, but I'd like it to be realistic. Blocking kicks and punches damage the arms. The penalty for blocking shouldn't be punitive, but it could be implemented more creatively. Block a lot of strikes with your arms and I think your own punching speed and power should diminish (at an increasing rate (i.e., arm punishment increases at an increasing rate - in other words the arm damage from the 100th block is more detrimental than the change in arm health between strike block #4and #5). Other ways arm damage is apparent is you carry arms lower so it takes longer to cover up when you block. Additionally, the general time to react when you high block slows down as arm damage increases.

Still, what I hope people take away (and happy to hear people's opinion who disagree with what I've said) is that much of this games striking woes can be solved with footwork being made far far more important. Casual fans can spam punch on each other all day and have a blast. Nerds like us on forums will focus on distance, angles, and strike selection and figure out how to inflict serious damage with few - if not one - strike. The defensive stuff is written about above; no arbitrary stamina penalties, but I think the concern for this is diminished as a byproduct of the more scientific approach to the striking game outlined above
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #26
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
I "run" like a muther ****er.

More people need to "run".

Guys don't just walk at each other with their gloves in front of their faces, and start winging punches.
Lol. U big meanie. I had a fight against a name I recognized and thought it would be hilarious to hold high bock.

It was until i gots ko'd, even after trying. Even then I was enjoying it. Good times.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #27
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Great post Ksearyback!

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #28
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Lol. U big meanie. I had a fight against a name I recognized and thought it would be hilarious to hold high bock.

It was until i gots ko'd, even after trying. Even then I was enjoying it. Good times.
Was that you last night under the name "TheLastCubScout"??

Old 06-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #29
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Was that you last night under the name "TheLastCubScout"??
Yeah, I was just goofing around until I wasn't, and you ko'd me. My main profile can take forever to find quick match fights, and with my other profile i have no cafs.

I swear with my cubscout profile 80% of my matches are against 100 overall cafs, which I enjoy for practicing denials and what not on the ground . Lots of those dudes spam subs and what not and with their maxed out stats it makes for good practice for learning how to deny.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #30
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Yeah, I was just goofing around until I wasn't, and you ko'd me. My main profile can take forever to find quick match fights, and with my other profile i have no cafs.

I swear with my cubscout profile 80% of my matches are against 100 overall cafs, which I enjoy for practicing denials and what not on the ground . Lots of those dudes spam subs and what not and with their maxed out stats it makes for good practice for learning how to deny.
Sorry for being a jerk. lol.

That first round really annoyed me. lmao....

Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #31
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

You really weren't being a jerk, I probably would have sent some real nasty messages. As soon as I saw your name i decided to pick someone op and hold high block.

Hopefully you weren't mad during the match, i wasn't trying to make you mad. You made me watch intro though

J/k I don't mind watching intro, it's a good time to take herbal supplements to augment my game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 05:58 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
I disagree with everything you think.
i do 2 earvgotti is delusional i honestly think he spams in his fights

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »