Home

Why does Fifa 17 have a Story and UFC doesn't?

This is a discussion on Why does Fifa 17 have a Story and UFC doesn't? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why does Fifa 17 have a Story and UFC doesn't?

Fifa has been around since 1994, probably before you were born.

EA UFC has been around 2 years.

Not really a comparison. Fifa probably needs something like this to freshen it up. It's not needed in UFC currently, there are more pressing issues.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 AM   #10
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

One thing is I'm not sure how adaptable it is to mma, looked like that guy had a nice place when he got signed.

For it to be accurate for a new mma fighter making 8k/8k or less you'd probably have to include a full time job in the game and you'd probably have to love at your parents.

I don't think the ufc would like there name attached to that, lol. It's kind of sad when I think about it.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
MVP

Yaari's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarceChoke
Fifa has been around since 1994, probably before you were born.

EA UFC has been around 2 years.

Not really a comparison. Fifa probably needs something like this to freshen it up. It's not needed in UFC currently, there are more pressing issues.
This. FIFA has been around for so long, they can only improve so much gameplay or run out of ideas for new gameplay modes. So I guess they took a gamble with this story mode.

I'm not really sold on the mode yet. The story mode could be a lot of fun if it has a intriguing story, but at the end of the day it is unlikely that anyone plays it more than once. I think it carries little replay value.

Until the EA UFC games are stacked with solid modes and superb gameplay, I don't really care for a story mode featuring a (most likely) generic story thats all comparable to some badly written movie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Wake up people.. I am not saying it would make this game a lot better by adding a story to it. I am just saying,why would EA waste resources on making a Story Campaign for a Football game instead of a Fighting game.

It makes no sense to have a story for a football game.
It won't sell FIFA 17 to anyone,because they added story..

On the other hand,UFC could easily be sold for more if it had a story to give some sort of meaning to the solo offline.

I know that at the end of the day those are sports games and all we care about is playing against another player, but since they took the dumb initiative to spend money on making a Career for a Football game that doesn't need to do that and noone asked for it to be done, after doing that,how do they justify not having a story for a game like UFC that kind of needs it to sell?

FIFA could get to be 100 years old for all we care or get billions of players in it,it just doesn't make sense to give it a story.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
Wake up people.. I am not saying it would make this game a lot better by adding a story to it. I am just saying,why would EA waste resources on making a Story Campaign for a Football game instead of a Fighting game.

On the other hand,UFC could easily be sold for more if it had a story to give some sort of meaning to the solo offline..
You're calling it a "story" mode for reference, but it's not a story mode. What you'll get is the same career mode there used to be, except with more cutscenes that serve no purpose except for immersion. It was already there. You're acting like it's the first time EA is presenting some rechewed version of something existing as a "new" feature.

You're right that they can expand the career mode by adding press conferences. They should be skippable, given that 90% of players would just skip them, but will increase the special nature of the mode, where now it's just a sequence of other modes.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:

On the other hand,UFC could easily be sold for more if it had a story to give some sort of meaning to the solo offline.

I know that at the end of the day those are sports games and all we care about is playing against another player, but since they took the dumb initiative to spend money on making a Career for a Football game that doesn't need to do that and noone asked for it to be done, after doing that,how do they justify not having a story for a game like UFC that kind of needs it to sell?

FIFA could get to be 100 years old for all we care or get billions of players in it,it just doesn't make sense to give it a story.
I don't think you "get it." Fifa has been around for an eternity. As someone else pointed out, the whole story aspect makes it fresh at this point. For fifa this makes perfect sense.

EA UFC is still trying to get the core mechanics right, Fifa pretty much has everything nailed down. They have a player mode, manager mode, online mode where you play 11 vs 11.

At this point a story mode in the UFC games does not make sense. There's loads of features that people want to see more, universe mode, pride etc still a lot to work on.

We had a story mode in the fight night games and while it was cool at the time, one of the cool things about MMA games is making your own story in career mode, some people like to go undefeated their whole career, some people don't mind losing (i like the challenge) having tough fights, exciting fights, earning that title shot.

A story mode in MMA games means we all have to play in the same weight class, a chain of events will all happen the same way. Personally I like the freedom of playing career mode the way I want but a few games down the line...hey they may be able to do it in a cool way.

For now, I just wanna see a fully fleshed out career mode, excellent AI, universe mode etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
MVP

Did you guys played a career mode in 2kNBA series? It's really fantastic. There is a story line and many animation cut scene. but how about a career mode in EA UFC2? It's absolutely terrible. I don't know about need to a story mode but i'm sure that we need some animation cut scene in a career mode like 2kNBA, EA MMA. If you can do that trash talking or taunt in the weigh-in, Post-fight Press Conference cut scene, it will be really fun!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #16
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
What resources?Selling a game for 70$ covers that cost and brings guaranteed x3 ammount of profit.Them wanting to make x6 ammount of profit for something that doesn't deserve it,is not our concern as consumers.

Why non-gameplay?I am saying put some of the money into making a story/campaign for UFC.They obviously aren't going to remake the whole ignite engine and the whole gameplay,so why not put some effort into making a campaign with their new UFC game?

Why are we even talking about cost and resources?That's my complaint,why did they waste all those resources into making a campaign story for a football game,instead of a game,where people might actually care about the story...It fits so much more to have a story in a fighting sports game than a football sports game..

All i am suggesting is,since they got the engine down and they aren't spending any money into making a new game engine,why not spend some of their resources into making a campaign story for a genre that matters instead of football.
Where did you get these numbers from?

This is a silly subject. The reason FIFA (or games like NBA 2k) can do story modes is because they have significantly more resources than the UFC team and the games have been out a lot longer.

Fifa generates the most revenue out of any EA Sports game by a long shot. Because of that, they likely have more resources and a bigger budget.

Also when you have a game that has been out for 20 plus years, its easier to add new features to it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »