Home

High block is a bad joke

This is a discussion on High block is a bad joke within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: High block is a bad joke

Block peel is a necessity. + More bleed through damage and when arms are red shots from those arms should be little fatigued
Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Re: High block is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
High block and finish the fight are both huge contributors to why people would want to clinch so much.
Yup.

No point chasing guys down whiffing everything you throw.

So instead you clinch.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 06-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
High block is broke.

There is no defense for it,
no argument for it.

Broke as a joke.
Oh a really enlightening post!

High Block is broke? Why? If someone strikes to my block it will actually block the strike. I see nothing broke here

There is no defense for it... Ohh my, how am I supposed to defend a defensive action like a block? Let me tell you something: There is also NO defense against a taunt, even though I try to block it all the time. Its insulting me and my feelings, where the block just lets your opponent look ugly.

no argument for it. So what about defending my head/body from catching full damage of strikes, thus preventing getting knocked out and loosing the game? Pretty strong argument IMHO.

Broke as a joke. I guess I get it know. Really that made everything clear. Why didn't you tell me this in the first place. What? You actually did?

Quote:
Match was Diaz vs Hendo that made me post this. I was unloading on his body, it was ugly. I have gotten finishes much faster with body strikes from Bantamweights. It was ugly. When he gets knocked down he recovers quick, even a weak grappler can waste a lot of time on the ground.
believe it or not: Fighting Hendo changes everything. His trainer told once a story about him massaging Hendo. After 20 mins the trainer was exhausted saying that this guys body is made out of wood. How many times Hendo came back in real life? Refusing to tap and getting himself choked out? He is a monster when it comes to surviving knocks.

Quote:
Against a average player in a Diaz vs Hendo match clinching them or trying takedowns is just a waste of time, takedowns outside of the clinch are extremely easy to deny. Even most in the clinch aren't bad to deny.
Yeah, clinching against Hendo might not be the best idea one have in a day. But I really having no problem going to their body if they high block, usually using fighters with "El guapo" or "meatery". Targeting preferably the bodymight be the reason I have no problem with the high block.

Quote:
I really don't understand the logic, my guess is EA uses it to make individual fights longer or something. It doesn't make sense,
You must be kidding me. Whats your guess on the purpose on the block in a real mma fight? "Making the fight longer"? You are confusing reason and result here. The reason is, of course, preventing damage, where that might result in a longer fight.

Quote:
a similar example is finish the fight while standing. It's more of a recovery gift for your opponent than a reward for you rocking opponent.
The "finish the fight" is the one they should fix, beeing useless most of the times and loocking ackward, too. But then I knocked out Cain through his block with Bus Rutten accidentaly in such a health rock on his head in a "finish the fight" manner (throwing swinging hooks like crazy).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

MMA fighters almost never turtle unless their in trouble. If real fighters turtled block I think we would see more arms broken from kicks.

In ufc 2, fighters can just camp on the turtle block, it looks so weird and goofy. I'm surprised opponents can even see all the strikes coming with their forearms in front of their face for 50% or more of the fight.

Unblocked body attacks should do real damage, whether or not I have some perk.

I couldn't even imagine a real fight where someone turtled forearms in front of face and eat a bunch body shots and leg kicks.

Last edited by Dave_S; 06-15-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

I'm literally speechless right now from that response.......

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
MMA fighters almost never turtle unless their in trouble. If real fighters turtled block I think we would see more arms broken from kicks.

In ufc 2, fighters can just camp on the turtle block, it looks so weird and goofy. I'm surprised opponents can even see all the strikes coming with their forearms in front of their face for 50% or more of the fight.
I agree what you said about holding the block in front of their face in RL. But they can block strikes and kicks with their arms/legs, and they do. We see it in EVERY fight. So if this is an animation issue I could agree, that there should be more animations. But there is definetly more than one. I remember one where the fighter holds both arms to the side where the kick is comin towards his head. A Lot complained about parry, that this is unrealistic. Look up the "Pancrase" fights of Bas Rutten and you'll see (all available with comments from "El Guapo" himself on Youtube). If they are defending by movement they're called runner, or "swaying" should be taxed more. How am I supposed to defend? I really get the impression, that some doesn't want to see any kind of defence at all (and I do not nessesarily mean you). Maybe they should get a "Hardcore Knockout Mode": No sway, grappling, movement or block. Just stand and bang (could be fun. I'll take Holloway).

Quote:
Unblocked body attacks should do real damage, whether or not I have some perk.
I agree that they should. But aiming mostly for the body anyway I really feel that they do. People often just refuse to block the body. I kick and punish them like crazy for not blocking the body at all (even with fighters without perks), having no problem getting constant Body knockouts (Thai Clinch->Knee to the Body is devastating). So if they survive round 2 they usually have a huge stamina disadvantage. Having no stamina, their block renders more and more uneffective. And ground game having 1/3 stamina advantage (permanent) can finish fights also easy. IF they Block their body, their Head is finally free.
Quote:
I couldn't even imagine a real fight where someone turtled forearms in front of face and eat a bunch body shots and leg kicks.
Ok again. Seems like an animation issue to me. And of course: Real fighters protect their body if it is attacked. Players sometimes refuse to. Ever tried jab->right hook->left uppercut (all to the body), or to make it better mixing in roundhouses. Health events are raining. But instead of complaining, you could propose a way in which it would be better and why. The block feels really "weak" enaugh for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
I'm literally speechless right now from that response.......

OK, got me on that one. You don't eat my troll.
1 : 0 for you.

But to be honest: Your post doesn't make logical sense at all. It was almost the exact opposite of what I think you meant.

High block is broke. -> High block is too strong
There is no defense for it, -> There is no attack to break it
no argument for it.

Broke as a joke. -> strong as ...

Last edited by RuggedRuffRaw; 06-15-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying in regards to my post.

A well timed head kick should do damage even against high block, just ask Mark Munoz.

I stand by the thread title. For a big portion of the roster it's not that easy to punish the body. For a small portion of the roster it's easy to punish body.

Last edited by Dave_S; 06-16-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying in regards to my post.

A well timed head kick should do damage even against high block, just ask Mark Munoz.

I stand by the thread title. For a big portion of the roster it's not that easy to punish the body. For a small portion of the roster it's easy to punish body.
I try to take a "real fighter" approach. Of course If I have a Holloway I wanna strike at your Head like a punchingball, and as a Henderson deliver my right overhand (too bad there was no 4* 3-9 Henderson Showcase Elbow) . But then I have to be reactive on my opponent.

He's blocking the Head? go to the body/legs. Blocking body? Better keep your Head save. Running away? I try to get a hold on you. Coming at me swinging? Staying defensive, picking shots, watch opp stamina gets eaten like popcorn and planning what to break this helpless guy in Round 3.

It may be just my fighting style that I dont have problems with opponents blocking. But also had never an opponent which JUST blocked. I always got them to attack me.

Had a really good runner today which blocked high/low very good and circled around me without attemting to do a strike for the first 2 mins. I followed him missing strikes, loosing overall stamina. So I really like when I can start mindgames. He expects me to run after him. So I did the opposite and took the center of the octagon starting to taunt him while waiting. Took another 30 secs for him refusing to attack me. But then finally he went after me, and I started running . Finished him in the second with knees against the cage.

Last edited by RuggedRuffRaw; 06-16-2016 at 03:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »