Home

Is there any way to smoothly switch stances mid combo?

This is a discussion on Is there any way to smoothly switch stances mid combo? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Question Is there any way to smoothly switch stances mid combo?

Was using Dillashaw yesterday and was constantly switching stances. I couldn't seem to do it in any combos and occasionally after switching stances I wouldn't be able to strike for a second.

Anyone know of a good way to incorporate switching stances during striking combinations? The only way I was able to use it effectively is when I switched stance before striking. Felt kind of slow and awkward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Is there any way to smoothly switch stances mid combo?

This is what I have been talking about. They had shifts to some degree in EAUFC1 but they removed it altogether in EAUFC2 instead of improving upon it.

I used do it all the time, I feel some users here who I beat with it complained to devs and got it removed.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Why do you need to switch stances besides to save damaged leg?

Last edited by SUGATA; 06-19-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Why you need to switch stances besides to save damaged leg?
It makes some strikes land easier(uppercats/jabs to the body etc.) It makes clinch less predictable depending on your stance and your opponent's stance. Sometimes your player will need to turn then clinch which makes it easier to defend.

Also some strikes deal more damage(according to the commentators) such as the lead kick when a southpaw faces an orthodox fighter,because his kick lands on the liver.

Besides leg kicks,there are other kicks that land harder depending on your stance.

Right now the input lag for switching stances is too big and most of the times,you spam it because it doesn't register and some times it registers twice,so by the time you have switched,it switches you back.

IT's been an issue since the previous game.

P.S. I mainly use stance switching on Mike Tyson,pretty aggersively,since it's pretty hard to close the distance with him and some strikes just can't land if you haven't got the proper stance.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 06-19-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Banned

The only way is to exploit some other mechanics, failed TDs for example often leave you in another stance. I believe the double flying knee switches your stance as well. And of course any grappling exchange can lead to a switch when the fight gets back to the feet depending on where you end up before the break and/or possibly which side you decide to break to maybe if you're in a position with a choice like Guard, backside bottom, etc..

It won't allow you to switch stances with any amount of fluidity like you're looking for, but it can have the same effect as far as protecting the leg definitely, or simply switching up your lead/power side to get some different looks.

It is actually really effective and IMO annoying at times to be tearing in to someones leg, defend their TD, only to have them end up with a free switch, but I do think you should be able to switch stances with fluidity in real time like many fighters with good footwork, and many who like to switch stance for various reasons do. And not be forces to stand stationary waiting on an animation to finish with your hands down unable to strike or do anything.

On that note, I did see the CPU manage to do it, I don't think it can be replicated by a player though

And another note is hit detection on all strikes, but most notably kicks from opposite stances. For whatever reason a simple lead leg kick won't land when its on the outside of your opponents lead leg, and simply circling can often lead to whiffs, even when it comes to standard punches, in ways that simply don't happen if both are fighting in the same stance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Switching stances is a smoother affair than it was in UFC 1, but if you're looking for the kinds of fluid stance switching you see the likes of Cruz and Jones doing regularly to throw off opponents, you won't find that there. There's a brief robotic and mechanical pause where you can't do anything. I'm hoping this is something that is addressed in a sequel.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
Switching stances is a smoother affair than it was in UFC 1, but if you're looking for the kinds of fluid stance switching you see the likes of Cruz and Jones doing regularly to throw off opponents, you won't find that there. There's a brief robotic and mechanical pause where you can't do anything. I'm hoping this is something that is addressed in a sequel.
Any possibility of reintroducing this in future patches?

This was present to some degree in EAUFC1 where you could shift through strikes, TDs, etc. Being able to step through combos, and techniques mid stance switches. The window where you could reset and perform different techniques while switching stances was more open in EAUFC1.

With the new head movement mechanics I thought this would've strung fluidly together, I can only hope this is addressed in the patch before UFC200 as it was a very fun mechanic that added a lot of depth to footwork.

e: A lot reference gifs are given in gamedev's grappling thread- demonstrated in live UFC fights and in several threads through the weeks. I could provide more if you like.

Last edited by johnmangala; 06-20-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #8
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Why do you need to switch stances besides to save damaged leg?
Because that's how Dillashaw fights, and I really like it.

Don't need to switch stances, just want to. Also it seems easier to land certain strikes on opponents depending on which side of my back is to the screen.

This wasn't a complaining thread, was just curious if it was possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »