Home

How will the sale of the UFC to the new owners affect EA UFC 3?

This is a discussion on How will the sale of the UFC to the new owners affect EA UFC 3? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: How will the sale of the UFC to the new owners affect EA UFC 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Ok so if the UFC doesn't own their likeness (is that 100% sure?) They do own Pride, so why would THQ had to have paid extra for it?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Pride didnt own its fighters likenesses. So when Pride was sold to the UFC, it sold its assets and its fighter contracts....but those contracts didnt include likeness rights.

Zuffa's contracts include likeness rights. Everyone but Couture and Lesnar have the likeness clause that gives the UFC the right to exploit their likeness even if they leave the UFC or retire.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #18
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia
I guess it really depends on the deal in place and how that will be transferred. WME is all about marketing and products so losing even 1.5-2m units of marketing might not be good for them to lose out on. Even 1.5m units at $60/piece is $90m and then you start cutting up the pie from there. That's not small money. I believe WME will see the power of marketing better than Zuffa did which could be good and bad for the sport.
There is a lot of pie to cut. The UFC gets a large portion. Production. Then the retailers. As well as Sony and Microsoft. So you take that 90 mil and it suddenly becomes like 40. There just isn't as much money in franchise games as opposed to IPs. I think it will come down to if EA still wants to make the game, and if they have to do another one under the contract.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Also lots of those guys you listed fought in the UFC before the game was made so why wouldn't the UFC have made them sign over their likeness? Unless they didn't make the contracts that way until the first game, which was 3 years after the purchase of pride

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
The UFC didnt add the likeness clause to their contracts until 2008. Most of those fighters (other than Kang and Herring) fought in the ufc before 2008.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Everything I've heard indicates that EA is happy with the sales of UFC 2. I've heard nothing to indicate that they want out. I could be wrong but I dont think EA is looking to leave.
The devs were adamant about a second game last time. This time around, not so much. Haven't heard one dev say there would be a third.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #21
MVP

chia's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingtime
There is a lot of pie to cut. The UFC gets a large portion. Production. Then the retailers. As well as Sony and Microsoft. So you take that 90 mil and it suddenly becomes like 40. There just isn't as much money in franchise games as opposed to IPs. I think it will come down to if EA still wants to make the game, and if they have to do another one under the contract.
Sure, no doubt about the pie cutting, but after it's all said and done there would still have to be a sizable profit left over in someone's hands.

Even if it is something like 5-10mil in profit (which might be overblown) that's still 5-10mil in profit. Even if the UFC just sold for 4b, that's still not chump change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #22
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
The devs were adamant about a second game last time. This time around, not so much. Haven't heard one dev say there would be a third.
They are already working on a third doing more Capps and such with Robin black. You been hiding under a rock or something?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #23
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
I dont think thats true at all. I wasnt able to refer to UFC 2 as UFC 2 until last 2015 when EA made an official announcement. Thats how EA works. Their devs dont officially comment on a new game until its announced.

All you have to do is look at some of the devs twitter to know they are working on something. 2 of the devs have pics and videos from recent mo cap sessions. Now what do you think is more likely....those sessions are for UFC 2 or a future game?

I dont have an official answer but its not hard to speculate which answer is right.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #24
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia
Sure, no doubt about the pie cutting, but after it's all said and done there would still have to be a sizable profit left over in someone's hands.

Even if it is something like 5-10mil in profit (which might be overblown) that's still 5-10mil in profit. Even if the UFC just sold for 4b, that's still not chump change.
We just have to hope they want to keep it. 5-10 mil sounds like a lot, but when you are talking about a company that wants to make the most with the least, then 5-10 mil might not be enough if they can make more with the resources somewhere else. Battlefield likely has a marketing budget close to $5 mil.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »