Home

Blocking/Striking. Here is my plan on how it can be changed for the next game.

This is a discussion on Blocking/Striking. Here is my plan on how it can be changed for the next game. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

OVR: 0
Blocking/Striking. Here is my plan on how it can be changed for the next game.

Before i begin,keep in mind,my post is based on the notion that there will be more strike variety and slip/sway/run variety.
Those feutures are not meant to be used by everyone.
The casuals will still be able to have some fun and do basic blocking and striking, those are advanced techniques for the Veterans.

Let's Begin with Defense/Blocking first.

• R2 - Low block by default(leg kicks/body strikes).
    -Doesn't burn stamina.
    -Pretty much works just like it currently does.
  • R1 - is a modifier
    -Just like L1 but it's for striking and also defensive mechanics like block,sways,parries,slips and running(i assume it's going to be added).
  • R1+R2 - Weak High Block
    -Only stops 100% damage of jabs/straights, other strikes it blocks only 25%-50% damage depending on the strike.
    -You can't get a hit reaction from the strong strikes while holding this block.
    -But you can get rocked, just decreased chances.(Good example irl of gettin rocked through high block is Robbie Lawler vs Rory Mc Donald head kick through Robbie's High Block in UFC 189)
    -You can get KO'ed if your head health is very low and the hands are weak.
    -Doesn't Burn Stamina, if you are moving it stops stamina regeneration(like slipping currently does in EA UFC 2).
  • R1+R2+L1 - Strong High Block
    -Burns as much Stamina as weak high block while moving.
    -It blocks 100% of most strikes, unless the hands are weakened by strikes.
    -Cannot be initiated if you don't have the stamina for it,if stamina drops to 0 it changes to weak high block.
    -When you try to move with it, the player moves really slow and it burns a lot of stamina.
  • R1+R2+L2 - Weak Block with Movement + Head Movement.
    -It works like Weak Block, but the differnce is, if used effectively, people can slip strikes,even hard strikes with it and if hit by hard strikes, depending on what angle you are leaning, you can block up to 50-75% damage or get hit with more damage,depending on the strike and it's trajectory torwards where your lean.
    -How this works with an example: Let's say you are going backwards, away from your opponent.IF you are holding this block,your player will both move backwards and will also have a slight small angle of leaning backwards,torwards where he is moving.Note:his movement speed shouldn't be affected by this.
    -His slip, shouldn't be as much as the L2 + Left Stick lean is. It should have half the effect.
  • Left Stick Flick - Sway,sort of the same as it is now. (if strike accuracy is improved at the ending of the sway animation)
  • Left Stick Flick+L1 - Long Sway,sort of the same as it is now.

Now as far as Aggresive/Defensive Movement goes.

Running:
  • L1+R1+Left Stick - Running
    -It will pretty much do that,It will make you run,only torwards or the side of your opponent.
    -By the side, i mean doing the Side movement that Holy Holm did all the fight against Ronda Rousey or the movement Alexander Gustafson did against Jon Jones.
    -It will Burn Stamina.
    -It's very likely to get instant KO'ed or instant Health Event while running and gettin hit.
    -If you try to run away with this, you will not turn around 90° and start running normaly, you will move backwards but very slow.
  • R1+Left Stick - Fast Moving Stance
    -This will leave you open and a lot of susceptible to a knock out.
    -It will not burn stamina, but it does stop stamina regeneration.
    -It can also be used while moving away from the opponent,not only as an offensive measure but if cought while trying to do that,with your hands down, you will be very susceptible to an instant KO or a Health Event.(This could be the same as the L1+R1 running away from the opponent)
    -If the opponent counters you while you are trying to go at him with this stance, you are also susceptible to a KO/Health event.
  • R1+L2+Left Stick - Aggresive ducking moving forward.
    - Your player will duck depending on the direction your LS is aimed at and also move torwards that direction.
    - It burns Stamina.
    - If cought with that, even more susceptible to instant KO/Health Event.
    - To help you visualize this, think of Mike Tyson aggresive Ducking forward movement or Anderson Silva aggresive ducking forward while moving.
    Note:This will only allow you to move horizontically and vertically, it will not allow you to move in a corner styled movement, your player will follow the opponent and if your LS is aimed torwards an opponent and a corner, your palyer will follow the opponent and duck torwards that side.

Now as far as Striking goes.

• Every player should have an arsenal of simple,normal MMA strikes
    -What i mean by that, Jabs/Straights/leg kicks/Body Kicks/Hooks/Overhand Hooks or Strong Hooks.
    -Every player should have access to some type of strong finishing punch with L1 modifier, even if it's not that strong, depening on the figher.
    -Not everyone needs to have body kicks or Head kicks,
  • L1 - Simple Modifier
    -Punches:Elbows/Overhand punches etc.(no spinning strikes)
    - Kicks: Flying Knees/Silva's Front Kick/Question Mark Kick(pls add this kick to the lead leg also),side stepping kicks,hook kicks to the head etc.
  • R1 - Ducking Hooks/Modified kicks like sissor kicks/Crane Kicks/Modified Jab(to be able to do the Machida Straight Combo) and other special strikes.

Note: R1 modifier and L1 modifier should also modify leg kicks, some others will make them fast,some will make them strong, but slow some will do jon jones' oblique kick etc.

• L1+R1 (+ L2) - Spinning Kicks/Spinning Elbows/Superman Punches etc.
    -I believe that Spinning Strikes/ Cage Strikes,shouldn't be as nerfed as they are in EA UFC 2, however they should be harder to land/initate, that's why more key bindings required for those strikes= harder to initiate.
    -Spinning strikes should be high risk reward,you get cought while doing them, you are very susceptible to a KO,which is why you shouldn't be able to accidentaly do them by simply holding L2+Kick+away from opponent.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

It's been a long post. Tell me what you guys think, hopefully the Devs get to see this, it took me over 2 hours to make ( i know i got no life) i believe it can truly improve the stand-up aspect by giving us all those tools and i just showed you the key bindings of the system i have in mind.

Casuals are still able to play the game, but they are not able to do the show off powerfull strikes/evasive moves, because those should be reserved for the vets and those who know how to time them and hit the right buttons to do them. It makes it a little more difficult to perform those harder to pull off/stronger strikes,which is what i believe the balance should be between realistic/arcadey.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Last edited by manliest_Man; 07-21-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Re: Blocking/Striking. Here is my plan on how it can be changed for the next game.

That said,my opinion on when making a UFC game, is that you should keep it real and make it as realistic as possible to make it fun. The problem with EA UFC games, is that they have a hard time figuring out what they are.

Fifa games have a bunch of moves such as a spinning tricks and special flying sissor kicks, that the casuals do not use. The casuals can simply pass the ball and do some normal shoots and they are happy.

The Good Players of the FIFA games however, know how to do a bunch of tricks and advanced tactics, which is why they are ahead. EA's FIFA strived for realism,which is why most people play it instead of PES, which is more of an arcadey soccer/football.

EA, your MMA games should strive for realism, you don't hear your FIFA studios say, well when you are in the penalty area in real life and you shoot to score, it's really easy to score, so we should dumb it down and give the goalkeeper superpowers to be able to save the ball from this impossibly close distance.

Don't give us unrealistic strikes/Health/Stamina Systems and don't give unrealistic Chins/Bodies to fighters who get hit by spinning kicks/elbows/knees in the face over and over again and just walk it off like it's nothing, all in the name of being "casual" friendly in a complex sport.

You don't see other sports games say "This method of scoring is too Overpowerd to be in our video-game." Same logic should apply in your Fighting game or else don't call it a UFC game, call it UFC Street, like Fifa Street, with all those superpowered tricks and the ball on fire ultimate shots that you earn after tricking your opponent multiple times.

You either make a realistic simulation sports game like FIFA or you make a FIFA Street type of game. Take a pick, you can't be in between. Figure what you want to make or else your games will continue to be disliked and die after 3-4 weeks of their release.

I'd love to hear the Devs'/Gamechangers' opinions on my recommendations and on that Simulation/ Casualisation of MMA games.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Rookie

Shogun474's Arena

Re: Blocking/Striking. Here is my plan on how it can be changed for the next game.

How would you propose to do a takedown with your method as L2 is already being used?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun474
How would you propose to do a takedown with your method as L2 is already being used?
i don't think i follow you?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

These are great, but they already had to dumb down the controls a little bit because of backlash that it was too hard to learn. This will likely stay. Or something very close. They don't want people to have to relearn everything. That can kill a game for casuals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingtime
These are great, but they already had to dumb down the controls a little bit because of backlash that it was too hard to learn. This will likely stay. Or something very close. They don't want people to have to relearn everything. That can kill a game for casuals.
My suggestions , are meant to be casual friendly and the advanced tactics are for the hardcore.

The casuals will be able to do the simple kicks/punches and perhaps a bit strong overhand hooks and elbows and question mark kicks and crane kicks.

But leave the spinning kicks and advanced defensive techniques to the hardcores.

That's the whole point of the system i suggest.

Just like FIFA appeals to both casuals and hardcore fans. Leave the simple stuff for the casuals and let the hardocre pros play the game with all the advanced tactics.

Same suggestion i am making for EA UFC 2. There is no reason for them to dumb the MMA games so much.

This whole "appeal to casuals for more profit." is a stupid marketing idea and it's a poor excuse for having a broken game that none of it's existing dumbed down feutures work as they are intended to.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 07-24-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man

This whole "appeal to casuals for more profit." is a stupid marketing idea and it's a poor excuse for having a broken game that none of it's existing dumbed down feutures work as they are intended to.
It's neither. If the object is to make money then you follow a blueprint to make money. Idk what business / gaming company in which making a profit isn't the number one priority. I also don't know if I've heard any developer say the "dumbing down" of things are why certain aspects don't work as intended.

I get where you're coming from with the controls, but I'm not trying to memorize/learn holding and pressing three different buttons at a time mixed in with other combinations. I consider myself more on the hardcore MMA side especially with games, but that's too much. I want strategy and realism, but I also want to have fun. UD3 and even EA MMA are brought up a lot around here and neither of those games have overly complicated control schemes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

The only thing they dumbed down in respect to the controls was using only one modifier for striking instead of two. It is even more like the Undisputed scheme than before.

Casuals do make up the majority of sales. Look at the numbers online. Now look at how many people bought the game. The drop isn't from a lot of people not liking the game. Just the casuals moving on to other games.

If you don't make a game with your biggest sales base in mind, there will be no more games. They have to sell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »