Home

Thoughts On Reduced High Block Effectiveness?

This is a discussion on Thoughts On Reduced High Block Effectiveness? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
Thoughts On Reduced High Block Effectiveness?

I want to only focus on this aspect of the patch in this thread.

What do you all think of the reduced effectiveness of high block in the latest patch?

I have two stories from about a dozen matches last night:

1) My only loss came from screwing around too much and getting clipped early in 1st Round (I should have just gone to bed haha) --- opponent went into the finish the fight mode; but instead of my invisible shield saving my soul, I was KTFO.

I wasn't angry. I deserved it. I got clipped; I blocked 3 or 4 of the 'finish the fight' punches, and the 5th/6th/7th got through and knocked me down.

While we all know that the finish the fight animation/mechanics needs a total overhaul...it actually DOES serve a purpose now

(At least, in HW UT when the guy has full punch stats and my blocking isn't totally maxed out....not sure if he had any 'health event' perks like Vengeful/etc.)

2) I actually was able to put this new lower high block to good use in a very high level fight (rather than just spamming heavy strikes against n00bz with a .500 record or something)

Had a very tough match that started off really badly for me against the #11 HW UT on PS4. He didn't hold high block too much; but he did at one point, and I made him pay by blowing right through his guard.

Here's the video --- it didn't knock him out, but did stumble him, and importantly, it *forced him to do something else* besides just stand there with high block.

That's the most important part of this reduction in high block strength IMO --- people now have to use more than one defensive tactic.

Go to 9:41 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMugK7oFUQ

what do you guys think? Any good (or bad) stories?

I think it's a great change overall.
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 08-17-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Re: Thoughts On Reduced High Block Effectiveness?

I love it! I didn't believe it would make a big difference by adjusting those specific values alone, but boy was i wrong.

Also i believe they tuned the movement and i no longer take 1 step back before moving forward, which makes it so much better chasing down someone with the limited mobility.

Stand-up is actually fun atm for me. (tested about 10 games)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Rookie

Shogun474's Arena

I'm loving the new block. Not only does it give FTF a purpose it is also great against runner scrubs who flee and sit on high block. I blasted through a taunting runners guard last night to KO him and it was honestly one of my most satisfying victories.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

great to hear

EA really did some great work with their patches post-launch. Game (especially standing) has improved a ton thanks to the strike intercept mechanics; nerf to spinning/flying garbage; and now this --- thx for listening to the community devs
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 08-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

I think it's great and to be very honest, I still think you can reduce the high block even more maybe to 30% because I still see ppl holding high block a lot.

The real prize was the magic combos not working, that has been the best thing fixed in this game and has made the fear of knowing someone can spam the same combo and get the same outcome no more. I played a few top guys last night who were trying over and over to get the leg kick/free head kick and when it was not working they just stopped and went to the straight/body combo till something happens. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Rookie

I only played a couple matches - all in UT, but I didn't notice a difference.

After taking a break from this game and coming back, it seems everyone figured out how to parry everything again. It feels like it did before the patch was brought in that changed the parries, but that's neither here nor there.

While I encourage and like the direction of a change like the reduction in block effectiveness, I haven't felt the impact, or seen any changes in the typical aggressive fight style you see so often.

The real issue is, parrying and blocking are currently the most effective options defensively, where as ideally in my perfect world, movement would be the most effective form of defense, followed by head movement, parries and finally blocking.

Given the current state of the game I'm not sure how that can be achieved. Perhaps a larger reduction in block health would help, I don't know.

Other things I've noticed -

Roundhouse body kicks causing silly hit reactions still
Lead leg high kick still way to quick and easy to land
In UT lead leg leg kicks seem to be a new spammer strat. (more of an observation than an issue)
Not enough perm stamina drain on whiffs
People still getting angry at me for counter punching.

and probably more that I'm not remembering at the moment.

Boiler - We should get some matches in, I want to see how badly I've fallen off, and you would be a good measuring stick.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Dubya --- I should be on tonight (I think) --- otherwise, a good amount during the day Friday, and perhaps Saturday before UFC 202 prelims, if you see me on hit me up and I'll try to do the same!

I agree that parrying has sort of become a problem again. It's not super OP, but can still be a major annoyance.

Although I highly doubt we'll see much more tuning, I think the following would help the standing game even more:

* An additional 5-10% reduction in blocking effectiveness

* Parries of non-modified/non-significant strikes do NOT cause a counter window. They simply allow you to block the strike...without incurring any arm damage

* Parries of modified strikes can remain the way they are now

* Missing a parry attempt 'locks you out' of attempting another parry attempt for an additional 30 frames (1 second) --- to avoid 'parry spamming' bums

But I could live with the current standup until UFC 3 for sure, it's fun and pretty well balanced
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Rookie

Instead of making block even less effective, I prefer that the damage last longer. Same with leg kicks. after 5 or 6 unblocked leg kicks (from someone that's good at them), you ought to have a limp of varying intensity for at least half a round... If it gets really bad you ought to have to switch stances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »