Home

How to fix the Parry Issue. Give Strikes realistic Speed.

This is a discussion on How to fix the Parry Issue. Give Strikes realistic Speed. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Rookie

TheSouthpaw's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to fix the Parry Issue. Give Strikes realistic Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveliveshere
OK so I just played my first fight against someone throwing constant 10 hit combos with Woodley and now I hate the arcade feel lol

Sent from my ZTE Blade V580 using Tapatalk
Lol, at least your starting to see bro. Don't know why after two games people can't see that the sim route is the way to go.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterforjc
For the 99th time, REMOVE THE PARRIES FOR HOOKS AND UPPERCUTS. It's amazing how many birds you'll kill with this one stone.
I think that's when parries would make more sense, on slower strikes.

What NEEDS to happen is have the parry window affected by type of strike.

-Jabs/straights would be very hard to parry (Tier 1)
-Hooks, uppercuts, leg kicks = not as hard (Tier 2)
-Overhands, head kicks = medium(Tier 3)
-Spinning **** = easy (Tier 4)

Right now everything has the same window. Right now it's easier to parry a jab or a quick strike because it's fast and easy to time; Where as spinning **** or cage strikes have a weird window you have to hit RIGHT before you get hit rather than as soon as the strike is in motion.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
I think that's when parries would make more sense, on slower strikes.

What NEEDS to happen is have the parry window affected by type of strike.

-Jabs/straights would be very hard to parry (Tier 1)
-Hooks, uppercuts, leg kicks = not as hard (Tier 2)
-Overhands, head kicks = medium(Tier 3)
-Spinning **** = easy (Tier 4)

Right now everything has the same window. Right now it's easier to parry a jab or a quick strike because it's fast and easy to time; Where as spinning **** or cage strikes have a weird window you have to hit RIGHT before you get hit rather than as soon as the strike is in motion.
No disrespect, just speaking the truth here, but you know absolutely NOTHING about real combat sport if you can say that "parries make sense for the slower strikes." Uhm no, parries in real life are almost exclusively reserved for STRAIGHT punches like jabs and crosses. Hooks and uppercuts are blocked or avoided.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #20
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

Quote:
No disrespect, just speaking the truth here, but you know absolutely NOTHING about real combat sport if you can say that "parries make sense for the slower strikes." Uhm no, parries in real life are almost exclusively reserved for STRAIGHT punches like jabs and crosses. Hooks and uppercuts are blocked or avoided.
The second this game goes towards being a sim is the second it loses 90% of its player base.

My suggestions lean toward a fair, balanced, and competitive game. A perfectly realistic game will be awful. There needs to be a balance between sim and non-sim.

If people want a 100% realistic game they need to get off their *** and go train in real life.

Create a solid head movement system and parries can get taken out. With how the game is now, parries are essential.

Last edited by Kenetic NRG; 08-26-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #21
MVP

Okay, here's the reality of things: Matrix stun lock parries (MSLP) ruin realistic defense and craps on a lot of things as they are overpowered regardless of how short the window for executing them is.

Here are some things you can deploy defensively and why matrix stun lock parries negate the need for them:

- Proper distance management.
> If you opponent is right up in your face, you can simply MSLP their punch or strike, regardless of what is thrown. Instead of having to maintain distance smartly, engage a grapple or move away when necessary, you can simply wait for them to strike and MSLP them & even get a counter off it. Doesn't matter if you back is near the fence or if they're right up in your face.

- Proper timing on counters.
> You don't need to time your counter striking & the damage system actually rewards MSLP counters. If you opponent starts attacking, deploy the MSLP and you get a free counter strike. You don't have to try and read their attack and choose a counter accordingly, MSLP rewards you by letting your fighter enter the matrix and parry anything that comes so long as you guessed correctly (high or low).

- Head movement.
> Head movement is risky in this game. Fun but risky, as it should be. Not as rewarding as it should be and slightly clunky but it's better than UFC 1. The thing is, if you're in an important fight, why bother risking it when you can MSLP? MSLP evades a shot and puts you in prime position to counter.

Other things to implement in place of MSLP:
- Head movement & simultaneous footwork.
- Momentum based striking (makes counters much more dangerous).
- Feints and strike cancelling to upset opponent timing (yes you can do this without feints or strike cancelling but that is much more difficult).
- Non-matrix lock parries / realistic parries e.g. Machida.
- Strike catching.
- Strike off-setting, where you push away a body kick for example to off balance the opponent.

Ultimately, why should someone bother trying to learn the facets of defense when MSLP is for the most part, very effective? If you focus instead on purely getting your MSLP timing down, figuring out how to bait opponents into throwing so you can MSLP, then wouldn't that be a strong defense to use?

It essentially makes you like IP Man the Donnie Yen version.

Final point, things in defense that will feel rewarding, such as a properly timing a slip followed by a cross counter at the correct distance with good momentum are pointless because the matrix stun lock parry does all the defense for you and even freezes your opponent in place for a prime counter.

That's why they need to go for UFC 3 and momentum based striking needs to happen. It isn't a sim vs arcade thing. It's just a mechanic that was put in place early on, isn't that great and can be let go in UFC 3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
The second this game goes towards being a sim is the second it loses 90% of its player base.

My suggestions lean toward a fair, balanced, and competitive game. A perfectly realistic game will be awful. There needs to be a balance between sim and non-sim.

If people want a 100% realistic game they need to get off their *** and go train in real life.

Create a solid head movement system and parries can get taken out. With how the game is now, parries are essential.
You need to play a different fighting game, seriously. Nobody is asking street fighter to be "realistic," don't beg for this sim to cater to your ignorance. Yeah, 'cuz if people want "realistic" their only choice is to go train in real life. Get your tough talk out of here it makes you look bad.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

Quote:
You need to play a different fighting game, seriously. Nobody is asking street fighter to be "realistic," don't beg for this sim to cater to your ignorance. Yeah, 'cuz if people want "realistic" their only choice is to go train in real life. Get your tough talk out of here it makes you look bad.

Tough talk? I wasn't picking a fight homie calm down. My point is that if this game was made identical to a sim it would be god awful.

Why would I want to play a different fighting game when I'm the best at this one and love the sport?

You're angry that your telegraphed and predictable 1-2's are getting parried. It's ok son. It will be ok.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #24
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

^ The parry system is trash and not done right. I'm sure that you know that as much time as you have put into this game. It's just a super easy and over rewarded system for noobs to create easy offense. It definitely needs change.

Last edited by WarMMA; 08-27-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »