Home

This game needs to borrow the Fight Night formula (Sliders & Career)

This is a discussion on This game needs to borrow the Fight Night formula (Sliders & Career) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
This game needs to borrow the Fight Night formula (Sliders & Career)

I recently re-purchased a PS3 and Fight Night Champion, and it really opened my eyes to how much we need sliders in EA UFC. A lot of you know that I've primarily been online only in these UFC games, but a lot of that has been due to the lack of competition that that CPU provides me. When I got Fight Night, I plugged in some OS GOAT sliders and have been having some extremely fun and competitive battles.

In Legacy mode in FNC you can create boxers, import them into your career and edit them. When creating my guy I noticed that there are sliders for A.I. behavior as well. Things like the type of punches they throw, their style, etc. I had honestly forgotten about that; having similar options in UFC would be huge for the series. For example, I'd love to be able to edit Nick Diaz to do a lot of body work and throw out his little weak, taunting kicks very sparingly. Something like that seems like a no-brainer to me in the next game. It would greatly improve the gameplay possibilities for the offline gamer, while also allowing the devs to focus more on online balancing and overall improvements.

(Sorry for the poor quality.)
Spoiler

All this has led me to talk about career mode in UFC. As it stands right now it's basically garbage. This is one area where I'd like to see them borrow from FNC again. For starters, I'd like to see them introduce some kind of story mode. Anyone who played FNC remembers Issac Frost, the jail battles, and some of the interesting situations it put you in throughout the campaign. At the end of the day it was a fun experience and that's what it should be all about at the end of the day. Most of us only played through UFC's career once anyway, so maybe it's time to change up the formula they've used in the last two games.

Next, I'd like to see them include the Legacy mode from FNC that I mentioned earlier. Let us tailor our journey whatever way we see fit and have everything be customizable. If we want to control a stable of several different fighters I'd love to have that option. Make training less of a chore and something that you actually want to include in your regimen. There's just so many possibilities that this mode could focus on and go beyond what's even offered in FNC.

All of this is very frustrating to me now because a 2011 game is so much more enjoyable offline than EA UFC 2 is right now. It makes me want more from this series and to see a return of Fight Night as well.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 11-20-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #2
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: This game needs to borrow the Fight Night formula (Sliders & Career)

The last thing I wanted to mention quickly is striking in general. The quality of your strikes matter a lot more in FNC than they do in UFC. Using good movement and catching someone with a well timed strike will often send your opponent to the canvas. I'd like to see that mean more in the next UFC game. I played a guy earlier in FNC who I stepped back on when he threw a strike and countered him with a straight of my own. Flash KO, game over. It was so beautiful lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Banned

OdiniOn's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't think anyone will disagree with you

There are very few things that are an absolute must for UFC 3 and sliders are 1 of them.

1. 60fps

2. Fighter edits in every way including movesets and sliders

3. Gyms and Fighter relations in career mode. Meaning if before my title fight against a grappler I wanna go train with GSP on my takedown defense in Tri Star in Canada I should be able to if I gained enough fame in my career and I need to be in good terms with the coaches in Tri Star and GSP
Old 11-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Some of the GCers and I were talking about this yesterday. I still play FNC today and thats because I have most of the fighters in that game edited to fight how they do in real life. I would love to see this in a future UFC game.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Banned

I brought this up to GameplayDev, but the example I used was NBA2K and how you can edit tendencies of how each player plays so you don't have Center's shooting 3s and what not. But your FNC example is much better, I forgot how deep that awesome game was because it's been years since I've played it.

He said he really wants to do this for CAFs but that doing it for the actual roster would take a lot of doing, and didn't elaborate.

I agree totally though, it would make the game play much better and solve so many issues people have with playing the AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by godway
I brought this up to GameplayDev, but the example I used was NBA2K and how you can edit tendencies of how each player plays so you don't have Center's shooting 3s and what not. But your FNC example is much better, I forgot how deep that awesome game was because it's been years since I've played it.

He said he really wants to do this for CAFs but that doing it for the actual roster would take a lot of doing, and didn't elaborate.

I agree totally though, it would make the game play much better and solve so many issues people have with playing the AI.
I would love to see this for CAFs. Other than time and man power, I cant see a reason why that cant be implemented.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
Banned

Kasel's Arena

I always wonder, what do you guys think the reason for them not giving us sliders in UFC 2 after all the feedback?

I even remember an official feedback thread of one of the devs (I think Skynet was the OP) asking us what we would like in UFC 2 in terms of offline play, and in the original post he even stated that he knows we all want sliders and that he wants to hear other things which were never implemented. So if they know so well that we want sliders so much..... why not? Honestly would just like to know if anyone thinks he knows the reason. It's not like they could have been confident about their AI set ups and wanted us to play it their way, the work was not put in so why not let us do the work if we'd love to? especially if it means we help the devs in areas they can't do right, everybody wins what's the problem?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasel
I always wonder, what do you guys think the reason for them not giving us sliders in UFC 2 after all the feedback?

I even remember an official feedback thread of one of the devs (I think Skynet was the OP) asking us what we would like in UFC 2 in terms of offline play, and in the original post he even stated that he knows we all want sliders and that he wants to hear other things which were never implemented. So if they know so well that we want sliders so much..... why not? Honestly would just like to know if anyone thinks he knows the reason. It's not like they could have been confident about their AI set ups and wanted us to play it their way, the work was not put in so why not let us do the work if we'd love to? especially if it means we help the devs in areas they can't do right, everybody wins what's the problem?
Didn't elaborate on why they couldn't. I don't see the big deal myself as every other sports game has sliders, but I'm not a game developer so I wouldn't know. What I do know is UFC has really exploded in popularity since UFC 2's release, not that it wasn't popular before, but 200 plus the last two Conor fights have made it bigger than ever. It be nice to see a really definitive and awesome game to match that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »