Home

All Jokes aside, what's the people's issue with body shots?

This is a discussion on All Jokes aside, what's the people's issue with body shots? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #57
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: All Jokes aside, what's the people's issue with body shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSaNe_AraBB
If the player who throws 10 punches to the body goofy...then what do u call the player who doesn't block them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I call them Dave. To be fair I don't block head strikes very often either, unless I'm trolling Haz on a alternate account.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #58
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSaNe_AraBB
If the player who throws 10 punches to the body is goofy...then what do u call the player who doesn't block them?
A mediocre player.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 12-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #59
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

As i said, most of those body punches look goofy. But the reason i believe they are happening are not because people only want a win. If that was the case and people only wanted a win, they'd most likely get Souza or Werdum and clinch spam you to death and put you in a mauy thai clinch each time you got rocked and not give you a chance to retaliete.

Finishing someone with body shots, is far from the easiest cheesiest win you can get in the game.

It's happening though because the game mechanics allows it to happen. In actual fights nobody is gonna sit there and let his body get battered and not react to it in a way to defend themselves, however the way blocking is in-game, it allows for such scenarios to take place.

If people had any means of landing their punches to the head, they would, but the way blocking is, it allows them to keep hitting that body and if someone like Mike Tyson or any other elite boxxer with such power, with those MMA gloves, gets a chance to hit your body with a hook or an uppercut, you best believe your ribs are gonna break or he is going to fructure your spleen but the game is unrealistic in that aspect:

There are 2 types of mixed martial artists, the ones where they try to land the perfect technical shot that will shut down their opponent pretty much in 1 strike(Anderson Silva, Mike Tyson, Anthony Johnson, Connor MC Gregor, Machida etc.) and the ones who can take you apart shot by shot,grinding to make you feel the pain until your morale goes down and you can't take it any more(Jose Aldo, Nick/Nate Diaz, Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones etc.)

I just don't believe that it's an easy task to replicate real-life techincal shots in the game, without making it completely unfun and gamebreaking, but i am not a dev and it's not my job to figure out this riddle, although i try sometimes.

It's undeniable that it looks unrealistic and goofy landing those body shots compared to the real-life sport, but it's not cheesy or the player's fault for doing it, it's simply one of the few options they have into achieving being aggresive with the current blocking/striking system.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 12-13-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #60
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

The way striking is in general in this game, is it's luck based. You don't throw the perfect shot to rock your opponent with skill 90% of the time, you rather throw a bunch of random shots and hope the Gods bless you with a rock.

You can do things to increase your chances, but at the end of the day, that perfectly timed and rare shot mechanic, is not there.

So, seeing how it's completely luck based, most people will get a wrestler/submission artist or some beast with OP and unrealistic stats that will allow them to take inhumane punishment and completely disregard their opponent's stand up and take shots that they could care less and proceede to dominate their opponent mainly due to stats and internet delay that allows them to get takedowns/clinch/transitions that shouldn't be possible to sometimes.

With that said, if i was a dev working on the stand-up, i'd try to find a way to implement a system , that would make the perfect shots available in the game, but most importantly i'd be looking to make sure that lag/delay is not a factor in online games, since at the end of the day, that's my biggest issue with the game, the lag/delay that completely ruins every gameplay aspect the devs have thought off.

I'd like to see some sort of an advanced perfect shot mechanic that has to do something with the movement of the left analog stick (seeing how now left analog stick is 2 dimensional, either torward your opponent or away from him, i'd want some sort of 180 movement of the left analog stick , that depending on factors such as your position/opponent's position, were on that 180 you put the analog stick, should determine how effective the shot would be) , regarding your shot/ oponnet's position compared to you when you throw it and i'd like to see the strikes automatically change their animation/effectiveness, depending on the range you throw them at.

So for example, if 2 fighters are neck in neck, at breathing range and someone decides to go for a head kick that wouldn't be possible to do in real-life at such a short range, then the game should automatically make that fighter throw a sloppy head kick that leaves him more open or it takes more for his head kick to land and depending on the fighter's stats, he'd be able to be technical and automatically take a small step back then land the head kick to make it more effective etc.

Same goes for boxxing.

But another major aspect, would have to be changing the blocking system. I am not sure if the high low is such a problematic system, but it could be the fact that one is able to keep holding block and have no punishment on his stamina or someone can keep running around his opponent in circular movement in the game and have no effect on their stamina and effectiveness of walking/striking.

Other little things that could be stats related, since we the players are hard to make out while playing the game, would be mechanics such as this:

You are fighting against a technical striker like Silva and all game you've been holding High block when you go near him, Silva's intelligence stats, should allow him to sneak in some specific lvl 5 shots through that block if he sees the same pattern over and over again etc. and the game should proceed to make the shot belivable by changing the animation on the block seamlessly depending on the strike. ( i am aware of some sort of varied animation for high block is already in the game)

Last edited by manliest_Man; 12-13-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #61
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Haz is in here speaking truth. When you go against people who aren't trying to game the game and relying on gimmicks, you can have some awesome, competitive fights. Unfortunately, a lot of people online want to win at any cost. It is what it is, but let's not act like it's within the spirit of the sport.

I fought a guy last night who was walking me down throwing jab, straight combos for the whole fight. I used a ton of head movement, circling and countered as much as possible. Despite him throwing like an idiot and expending a lot of energy, he was able to do this for 3 rounds and rocked me a couple of times due to him being good at using the parry. I got the win in the end, but it was foolishness. No creativity in his strikes, just an annoying tactic that he's mastered. I could've grabbed him or taken him down, but that's not my style. All but 1 of his wins were by knockout. Not surprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS_Messages_20161213_055850.jpg (322.2 KB, 42 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #62
Rookie

JustBlazeM8's Arena

I echo what Manliest said. If people want this game to become more realistic on a competitive scale, then we need to wait for the mechanics to supply it. Body spamming will always be a thing as people can see it as an avenue to win, which probably accounts for 90% of the community.

The mechanics only allow simulation play up until a point where it actually isn't simulation. Like hell am I going to land 3/4 flush headkicks without a rock, but stringing 10 petty body shots will because of the combo multiplier. It's stupid, but that's how the game is designed. Until then, just block low to whoever does it, and hope the next player can engage in technical combat as you've wanted.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #63
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
So for example, if 2 fighters are neck in neck, at breathing range and someone decides to go for a head kick that wouldn't be possible to do in real-life at such a short range, then the game should automatically make that fighter throw a sloppy head kick that leaves him more open

Hate to keep bringing this up..

but...

UD3 had range specific strikes.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #64
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Hate to keep bringing this up..

but...

UD3 had range specific strikes.
I wasn't aware of that. That's awsome to hear. I never noticed it, because i never got around to playing that game much, only rented it a few times and played with my buddy some stand-up only matches. It was like 4-5 years ago and i was a complete MMA noob, but that game got me into MMA, even though i didn't buy it, i had it rented for like a month or two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »