Home

Side control is incredibly broken for 95% of the roster

This is a discussion on Side control is incredibly broken for 95% of the roster within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Side control is incredibly broken for 95% of the roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Its not about being quick.

You have to literally guess and deny before you even see any animation.

This is ONLY in certain cases not for every fighter match up.

All transitions are 100% blockable even if you have slow reaction speed UNLESS when any of the following set of variables are met

-momentum based transitions

-large stamina discrepancy or GA

-large stat discrepancy
This is one of the only issues I have with the grappling in UFC2. If you have a someone with mediocre clinch grappling vs GSP it doesn't matter how fast you are. You literally have to pre deny every transition in the clinch. Same goes for the ground game. Having a khabib on top of you while playing anyone not named Nate Diaz and you will need to pre deny certain transitions.

Off the top of my head the pre denial transitions on bottom would be like stacked guard, crucifix, posture up half guard.

However there is a positive to this as well that adds to depth of the ground game. For instance, when you are on bottom in half guard, the transition to guard is pretty quick. MOST people can't reactively deny that transition from the top ESPECIALLY if you have a guy with high off the back stat. This is where the mind game comes from - if the guy on top wants to finish the fight he will care that you keep slipping back into guard everytime he passes to half guard so he will want to deny it. As soon as you think he's made the decison to 100% deny the guard transition* you do a back take in HG. (This doesn't work versus players with exceptional reaction speed OR who just care about top control and don't mind being back in guard)

There are 3 ways to deny a transition

1) Reaction - you see it -> brain interprets which way you need to flick -> you deny. To be able to do this confidently you need to know what your capable of. You need to know at what stamina/GA/stat difference can you react to confidently.

2) *100% Reaction - You need to be fast. As SOON as your opponent twitches you are flicking a certain direction. This is the most important denial and most interesting. It causes a lot of the mind games on the ground. You are predicting where they will go based on prior transitions or prior fights or just a hunch. An example for this is in mount - If I mount someone and I have a decent stamina disadvantage I know that I will not be able to reactively deny their half guard escape (unless stat discrepancy is in my favor). So I pick a side, lets say left and as SOON as he moves I flick left. Doing this denial shaves off the time it takes your brain to process which way to go. This type of denial is where most reversals come drom. Also to note in laggy matches this is the primary type of denial.

3) Pre denials. Like I said earlier, you need these for momentum denials and last resort scenarios. They do add to the overall psychology of the ground game. No one on planet earth (WHEN NO VARIABLES ARE MET) can reactively deny the mometum or 100% GA/Stamina difference transitions. You need to flick these before any visual prompts come up. Every mometum based transition is deniable you just need to practice the timing.

I really hate when people complain about the ground. It's god damn beautiful. I think one issue is that the ground is complicated and has so many layers of knowledge that people haven't discovered yet. Another issue is the players who take 0 risk and lay on you looking to win on points. The Ben Askren method. I'm pushing hard at getting quicker ref stand ups for the next game so theres more sense of urgency.

Last edited by Kenetic NRG; 12-23-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:31 AM   #10
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Kenetic still ducking me, I'm just saying
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
1 millisecond, like a 1000 Hertz? Human eye can't tell any difference over 60 hertz.
No it can be a 60 hz monitor. It has a 1 ms response time. Like the information from the xbox too the screen takes 1 ms. A tv is significantly higher.

And 144 hz makes a big difference in games that can run over 144 fps (every pc game). Makes a massive difference in first person shooters, it eliminates the motion blur when you flick

Last edited by zeric; 12-23-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
This is ONLY in certain cases not for every fighter match up.

All transitions are 100% blockable even if you have slow reaction speed UNLESS when any of the following set of variables are met

-momentum based transitions

-large stamina discrepancy or GA

-large stat discrepancy
This is one of the only issues I have with the grappling in UFC2. If you have a someone with mediocre clinch grappling vs GSP it doesn't matter how fast you are. You literally have to pre deny every transition in the clinch. Same goes for the ground game. Having a khabib on top of you while playing anyone not named Nate Diaz and you will need to pre deny certain transitions.

Off the top of my head the pre denial transitions on bottom would be like stacked guard, crucifix, posture up half guard.

However there is a positive to this as well that adds to depth of the ground game. For instance, when you are on bottom in half guard, the transition to guard is pretty quick. MOST people can't reactively deny that transition from the top ESPECIALLY if you have a guy with high off the back stat. This is where the mind game comes from - if the guy on top wants to finish the fight he will care that you keep slipping back into guard everytime he passes to half guard so he will want to deny it. As soon as you think he's made the decison to 100% deny the guard transition* you do a back take in HG. (This doesn't work versus players with exceptional reaction speed OR who just care about top control and don't mind being back in guard)

There are 3 ways to deny a transition

1) Reaction - you see it -> brain interprets which way you need to flick -> you deny. To be able to do this confidently you need to know what your capable of. You need to know at what stamina/GA/stat difference can you react to confidently.

2) *100% Reaction - You need to be fast. As SOON as your opponent twitches you are flicking a certain direction. This is the most important denial and most interesting. It causes a lot of the mind games on the ground. You are predicting where they will go based on prior transitions or prior fights or just a hunch. An example for this is in mount - If I mount someone and I have a decent stamina disadvantage I know that I will not be able to reactively deny their half guard escape (unless stat discrepancy is in my favor). So I pick a side, lets say left and as SOON as he moves I flick left. Doing this denial shaves off the time it takes your brain to process which way to go. This type of denial is where most reversals come drom. Also to note in laggy matches this is the primary type of denial.

3) Pre denials. Like I said earlier, you need these for momentum denials and last resort scenarios. They do add to the overall psychology of the ground game. No one on planet earth (WHEN NO VARIABLES ARE MET) can reactively deny the mometum or 100% GA/Stamina difference transitions. You need to flick these before any visual prompts come up. Every mometum based transition is deniable you just need to practice the timing.

I really hate when people complain about the ground. It's god damn beautiful. I think one issue is that the ground is complicated and has so many layers of knowledge that people haven't discovered yet. Another issue is the players who take 0 risk and lay on you looking to win on points. The Ben Askren method. I'm pushing hard at getting quicker ref stand ups for the next game so theres more sense of urgency.
Nice one kenetic nrg nice one interesting
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

After buying a Vizio D series 4K UHD 50in tv I can honestly say side control is a lil overpowered and when you have a tv with a input lag of 13.4 ms side control becomes easy to hold ppl in with any Fighter on the roster even fighters with a huge stat difference, just as long as the connection to your opponent is good you can hold ppl here for days. It's one of the easiest spots to sub or win by points.

After getting a tv with the lowest input lag ever recorded while playing video games. I look at all the spots on the ground differently now. This game needs a fast input tv to see how good the ground can be and how responsive it really is.

I see a lot of things different now in this game over the last 2 months since I've had this tv.

Last edited by Bigg Cee; 01-06-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
After buying a vizo D series 4K UHD 50in tv I can honestly say side control is so overpowered and when you have a tv with a input lag of 13.4 ms. Side control is so easy to hold ppl in with any Fighter on the roster even fighters with a huge stat difference. As long as the connection to your opponent is good, you can hold ppl here for days. It's one of the easiest spots to sub ppl or win by points.

After getting a tv with the fastest input ever record for a tv while playing games. I look at all the spots on the ground differently now. This game needs a fast input tv to see how good the ground can be and how responsive it really is.

I see a lot of things different now over the last 2 months since I've had this tv.
This is what i was saying but about 1ms monitors.

It is literally the difference between a really good player and a top player
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #15
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeric
This is what i was saying but about 1ms monitors.

It is literally the difference between a really good player and a top player
yes sir. I wish I would have gotten a low input lag tv when UFC 2 first came out. It really is the difference between a high level player and a very good player. At times it feels not fair because you always get an edge when you have a low input lag tv. It's so obvious when playing online or offline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I had Khabib in side control yesterday, and I wasn't able to throw any offense. Khabib had zero stamina but was still able to throw nonstop rapid transition attempts. I was able to deny every one but I was unable to do anything else because transition attempts were fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »