Home

Weak vs Strong

This is a discussion on Weak vs Strong within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

OVR: 0
Weak vs Strong

One of my biggest gripes with the striking is the logic. Weak strikes are far superior to strong strikes. There is little, if any reason to use strong strikes. They are slower, and they don't do much more damage than weak strikes. That just blows up the entire striking. Weak strikes should be just that, weak. A rock should be rare using these. A KO even rarer. Strong strikes should be the ones with the highest probabilities. The only time a jab or straight should, is from timing. Realism ruins this here. Just because they happen, doesn't mean it is a good idea for a game. Attaching KO power to jabs/straights ruined the striking. People quit looking for good combos, and just went with what is easy. STOP THAT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Re: Weak vs Strong

The fact that no one has a comment for this says volumes. This should be a #1 talking point. Especially with people who want fighter individuality.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
MVP

Yaari's Arena

I kind of stopped reading after you assumed there's any logic behind the striking at all. I don't really feel that there is. I think a huge part of that is due to never being told what they are actually trying to achieve with their striking efforts. Unlike both Undisputed and EA MMA who put out some excellent blogs to detail what they were aiming for.

I'm probably out of touch now though, like I said, I don't play anymore. Just wondering, do people use sidesteps other than back and forth? Or sways to the left and right?

In my opinion anyway, a lot of added mechanics just added for the sake of having them, not feel like it is integrated to the gameplay as it should be.

Why oh why is there nothing to be seen from the background of fighting games developers on this title had prior to this franchise? I know boxing is a entirely different sport but it is so unfortunate. There was so much good stuff to be taken from it, but they took none of it. None at all.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

the overhand disagrees with this. I don't think weak strikes are to strong as far as damage, the issue I see is with dumb multiplier which allows peppering body strikes to build up multiplier than transfers to head if they throw head strikes.

striking interruption also creates issues with weak strikes s well
Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
I kind of stopped reading after you assumed there's any logic behind the striking at all. I don't really feel that there is. I think a huge part of that is due to never being told what they are actually trying to achieve with their striking efforts. Unlike both Undisputed and EA MMA who put out some excellent blogs to detail what they were aiming for.

I'm probably out of touch now though, like I said, I don't play anymore. Just wondering, do people use sidesteps other than back and forth? Or sways to the left and right?

In my opinion anyway, a lot of added mechanics just added for the sake of having them, not feel like it is integrated to the gameplay as it should be.

Why oh why is there nothing to be seen from the background of fighting games developers on this title had prior to this franchise? I know boxing is a entirely different sport but it is so unfortunate. There was so much good stuff to be taken from it, but they took none of it. None at all.
Working on it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Banned

Kasel's Arena

Quote:

(Quick edit, this was written before GPD hinted what he's working on so don't mind my hopeless tone from a minute ago )

Great post Yari, it's easy to understand where you're coming from and I see it all the same way, it's also sad to read because I remember your enthusiasm and input that I always agreed with back on the official EA UFC Forums (I'm X-Boxer-5 btw) since before EA UFC 1 came out when we all had hope that it could be something on par with Undisputed 3, so I feel like saying sorry it all came down to this after all the hope we had, I sense the disappointment tone in your message and it explains why you weren't around for so long after years of moderation on the official forums.

And no, no one uses side steps because strikes still reach you unless they're straight strikes, so let's say someone throws any type of high kick to their right and you side step to your left (meaning you're moving away from the high kick with its' direction) it still reached you even if you hold LB/L1 which creates a larger step for more stamina drain. Don't ask why they haven't fixed it in any update, we definitely discussed it here.

In addition, every type of side step in the game, like many other things, takes time to be input even in offline, everything is extremely clunky since EA UFC 1 and the 60fps that we were all used to from previous gen consoles, Undisputed 1, 2, 3 and EA MMA, is a thing of the past in EA UFC 1 & 2 although it could've helped some of the clunkyness feelings of any type of movement and menu/fighter select screen feeling.

So hopefully it at least makes you feel better that you haven't missed out on anything.

Let's hope EA UFC 3 is better in any of those aspects, I'm pretty sure the footwork (which includes side steps ofc) will be much better because I trust GPD and he confirmed a long time ago that he will personally take charge of the striking aspect of UFC 3 so that's at least in good hands, although if Brian Hayes doesn't change his mindset about 30fps and 60fps not making a difference, I doubt anything in terms of gameplay mechanics will make this game as good as Undisputed 3 for my personal taste.

Save us GameplayDevKenobi, you're our only hope.

Last edited by Kasel; 03-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
the overhand disagrees with this. I don't think weak strikes are to strong as far as damage, the issue I see is with dumb multiplier which allows peppering body strikes to build up multiplier than transfers to head if they throw head strikes.

striking interruption also creates issues with weak strikes s well
The multiplier is definitely part of it. However, knowing that is there and will turn your weak strike into an unGodly strike just complicates it. People aren't looking to go in and throw a jab/straight/power hook. They go in looking for a jab/straight/jab/straight/uppercut/high kick. That power hook just became completely useless.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
I kind of stopped reading after you assumed there's any logic behind the striking at all.
There is. Just horribly set up. It is like *** backwards. Like I said, weak = strong, strong = weak. That HAS TO change. I think my only real gripe other than the lag/latency is the striking. However, that logic disturbed me. Knowing how badly it would effect the play style, they left it alone. Actually tweaked it to make it even more unrealistic. That worries me.

Last edited by fishingtime; 03-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »