Home

Please God - NO TIERED stat system for UFC 3

This is a discussion on Please God - NO TIERED stat system for UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Please God - NO TIERED stat system for UFC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
If their name is Demetrius Johnson, or Jon Jones, then sure.

Otherwise.

No.

But even then. Jones isn't the fastest, the strongest, he doesn't have the best cardio, etc. It's his fight IQ, height, and reach that make him so good. Which isn't reflected in stats at all.

You could lower Jons OVR by 10 points in UFC 2, and he would still be amazing just because that height and reach.. No need to buff him to the point every other fighter in the weight class is useless.

Just make it realistic.
This one of the debates that the GC's have been having.

I (and I think Martial) are OK with certain champions being "OP" as long as its realistic. Take DJ for example. DJ is the fastest FW, best grappler, maybe best sub artist (Reis and Formiga may have him beat slightly but maybe not), best defensive and has the best cardio among Flyweights. In real life, he is "OP".

So I have no issue with his stats representing that. Even if that means he's much better than the rest of the Flyweights.

Others want there to be more balance and want his stats to be lowered slightly so that other Flyweights are more viable to use online.

Jones is a little different. As you said, his height and reach are already an advantage. He shouldnt have out of this world punching power or kick power. It should be average to slightly above average. His grappling should be above average but not necessarily better than someone like Cormier. His subs should be among the top 2 or 3 in his division.

Last edited by aholbert32; 07-06-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

OVR: 0

Ranked fights between low or average rated fighters have a special taste
Much respect for those who pick those ones!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #19
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This one of the debates that the GC's have been having.

I (and I think Martial) are OK with certain champions being "OP" as long as its realistic. Take DJ for example. DJ is the fastest FW, best grappler, maybe best sub artist (Reis and Formiga may have him beat slightly but maybe not), best defensive and has the best cardio among Flyweights. In real life, he is "OP".

So I have no issue with his stats representing that. Even if that means he's much better than the rest of the Flyweights.

Others want there to be more balance and want his stats to be lowered slightly so that other Flyweights are more viable to use online.

Jones is a little different. As you said, his height and reach are already an advantage. He shouldnt have out of this world punching power or kick power. It should be average to slightly above average. His grappling should be above average but not necessarily better than someone like Cormier. His subs should be among the top 2 or 3 in his division.
The way I see "OP" champs possibly working in a balanced way is to consider something like a car racing game.

A Ferrari has better stats than a Civic, and there's no way around that.

But at the same time, a Ferrari is a lot harder to drive without going off the track than a Civic, because it's speed, when not used correctly, has some serious drawbacks.

I think there's something we could draw from that comparison, I'm just not 100% sure exactly how it would all play out in the case of DJ. But I think it could.

I mean, OP champs look invincible until someone beats them, and then their weaknesses are obvious.

But their weaknesses were there the whole time.

The trick is to make sure the OP champs have those weaknesses while still feeling OP.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Does this logic apply to the OVR, or to each stat?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #21

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Does this logic apply to the OVR, or to each stat?
Each stat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
The way I see "OP" champs possibly working in a balanced way is to consider something like a car racing game.

A Ferrari has better stats than a Civic, and there's no way around that.

But at the same time, a Ferrari is a lot harder to drive without going off the track than a Civic, because it's speed, when not used correctly, has some serious drawbacks.

I think there's something we could draw from that comparison, I'm just not 100% sure exactly how it would all play out in the case of DJ. But I think it could.

I mean, OP champs look invincible until someone beats them, and then their weaknesses are obvious.

But their weaknesses were there the whole time.

The trick is to make sure the OP champs have those weaknesses while still feeling OP.
DJ is problematic because at FW, I cant think of an actual weakness. At BW, he was undersized and his cardio was inconsistent but at FW, there just doesnt seem to be much there. Maybe he doesnt have the best chin in the division (Dodson rocked him in the first fight) but it has to be in the top 3, so thats not really a weakness.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Each stat.
I'm sorry. The question was actually about your previous post... about the guidelines for the tiers.

Is the tier about having a high floor for each stat, or about the OVR?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #24

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
DJ is problematic because at FW, I cant think of an actual weakness. At BW, he was undersized and his cardio was inconsistent but at FW, there just doesnt seem to be much there. Maybe he doesnt have the best chin in the division (Dodson rocked him in the first fight) but it has to be in the top 3, so thats not really a weakness.
People said the same thing about Rousey. And Silva.

But now they're mere mortals.

DJ might be the exception, but I'd like to think he's a puzzle waiting to be solved.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »