Home

More information at player select in ranked.

This is a discussion on More information at player select in ranked. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: More information at player select in ranked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
Hidden fighter selection has its drawbacks (people too scared to pick lower rated fighters), but showing who the opponent is picking also has drawbacks - anyone who played a lot of FNC ranked knows this. If the opponent can see who I'm picking, he can counter-pick me. He sees I'm picking Hunt? He can pick Cain to try to takedown spam me. Would much rather take my chances and see that maybe the guy picked Stipe or Overeem than have someone know exactly who I'm picking. If both guys just want a good match and are altruistic, sure, you will have instances where your opponent sees you picked a lower rated fighter and comes down to match you. But if I've learned anything from the ranked modes in this franchise, it's that 95% of players want to win at all costs. So mostly, you'd have people waiting until the last second to pick a fighter, hoping you'll pick first, so they can counter-pick you. People would do this in FNC and people also did it in Street Fighter 4 until the devs swapped to blind pick.

Ranked mode is inherently about winning and being the best. I would argue Quickmatch is the place to go if you want to use lower rated fighters - but also I think in UFC2, there was too large of a gap between the best and worst fighters in terms of their general useability. For example, if a lower rated fighter had bad cardio/stamina, he was basically obsolete from the competitive pool, and I think limiting player choice in such a direct and heavy-handed way was the wrong way to go.

For UFC3, I would like to see a greater incentive to use lower rated fighters, in terms of ranked point accrual. The incentive in UFC2 to use lower rated fighters just wasn't there.
The problem is that because the fighters aren't made for competitive balance, there isn't really counterpicking in UFC2. Who is the counterpick for JBJ, DC? Gus? Rumble? JBJ still has an overall advantage against all of them. Same goes for all the best fighters in the division. There is no real counterpick against DJ, there is no real counterpick against FW Conor, there is no real counterpick against Werdum etc.

Because of this and the blind picking, people go for the "safe bet" all the time, unless they are very confident.

I think that if EA UFC 3 is made in such a way that each player can effectively play to a character's strength there should be no real problems with counterpicks
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
The problem is that because the fighters aren't made for competitive balance, there isn't really counterpicking in UFC2. Who is the counterpick for JBJ, DC? Gus? Rumble? JBJ still has an overall advantage against all of them. Same goes for all the best fighters in the division. There is no real counterpick against DJ, there is no real counterpick against FW Conor, there is no real counterpick against Werdum etc.

Because of this and the blind picking, people go for the "safe bet" all the time, unless they are very confident.

I think that if EA UFC 3 is made in such a way that each player can effectively play to a character's strength there should be no real problems with counterpicks
Nailed it. I want to see my opponents picks. Please ea. Im a ranked player and i loveeee to use lower rated fighters(guys that would be totally usable if their ratings matched their real life ability but that's another discussion) and as of right now its literally a huge roll of the dice. I loveee light heavyweight for all the old school guys in the divison (rua, machida, rampage, rashad, forrest) but if i decide to use any of them im ****ed if my opponent is jones. If i knew he was jones at least i get to choose someone that has a chance.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Wish they've have accolades again like 09 where they say world class ground game based off how many reversals you pulled off. Loved that.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »